A question for those who are mechanically inclined... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 07-21-2003, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Nini's Jeep

A question for those who are mechanically inclined...

My brand new '03 Wrangler is in the shop. I've had it for about 6-7 weeks.

Ever since I got it it has been making a "pinging" noise. (It sounds kinda like a phone or pager vibrating on something metal) I took it to the dealership about a week after I got it and they thought it was "bad gas", and I needed to use the super premium for the next few fill-ups.

Well, it kept doing it, so I took it again a few weeks later and they couldn't hear it (it only had the bikini top on, but I can hear it fine going 70mph down the freeway with the radio blaring!) I think they just saw the bikini top on it and didn't even bother taking it out that day.

So, I go to the trouble of putting the hard top back on
and I took it there on Saturday. The service manager was talking to my step-dad (and not me) and he said that there is something wrong with the distributor.

He isn't sure how to fix it besides re-programming the whole computer and he said that they didn't want to do that. Does anyone know why they wouldn't want to do that?

Has anyone heard of anything similar to this? They haven't called me back today and I am getting impatient. They gave me a '03 Dodge 1/2 ton to drive around until they
quote: figure out what to do with it :unquote

Any comments?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-21-2003, 12:50 PM
macb

2014 JK Wrangler 

WTF?
what dealership is that!

I would bypass the 'service manager' and talk directly to the guy in charge of the service department. - you have to make them fix it or you will live with it for 6 months and then they will tell you its not under warranty because you took it offroading. (they will try this line of BS everytime).

that is insane, I would take it to another dealership after that load of crapola...

3.5" Terraflex, 1" BL, Flat Belly Pan, Currie Steering, 35s, Cowl Intake, blah blah blah:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bob Supplee:
or (405) 799-8977
Stu Olson's great jeep resource site:
post #3 of 17 Old 07-21-2003, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Nini's Jeep

I did talk to the guy in charge! That's the bad thing.

My step-dad got pissed (he thought they were taking advantage of his daughter) so he went there in uniform and spoke with the head manager of service.
I am just glad that they gave me a vehicle to drive-at first they told him that I was going to have to get a loaner and pay for it.

Well, they have it and they are keeping it until it is fixed-or else they are giving me a new jeep! (doubtful)
I'm keeping their truck until my baby is fixed.

Oh, it is Cecil Atkission is Burnet, the sales department has been great so far, but this is frustrating. (The salesman is the one who made if possible for me to get a truck-the service manager still wanted me to get a rental.)

post #4 of 17 Old 07-21-2003, 01:40 PM
KaiserJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

What an idiot. If you have a '03 Jeep it can't be the distributor .... they don't have a distributor, none of the Wrangler engines do. That thing on the oil pump shaft (where there used to be a distributor) is a camshaft position sensor (aka a CMP).

The device that times the spark is the Powertrain Control Module (PCM, aka the "engine computer") which produces a spark for each plug after the crankshaft position sensor produces a single pulse for each engine RPM. The 6-cylinder motor has three ignition coils and no distributor - each coil fires once per engine RPM, or 3 cyclinders fire per RPM. The 4-cylinder Jeep motor has a single ignition coil and fires twice per engine RPM, or 2 cylinders per RPM.

If you are getting pinging it is probably not related to gasoline octane - both Wrangler motors will run fine on 85-octane "Regular" grade gas. What has been the culprit on such problems in the past has been the electronic fuel injector timing, also known as the "sync set". This is setup off the CMP I mentioned before, and the dealer has to set it with an electronic tool called a DRB III. The correct setting is as near "0" degrees as possible - but many Jeeps have been delivered from the factory with as much as +12 degrees of sync set. If you can get this set properly the ping should end and you should notice better acceleration as well.

Gary
1967 Kaiser Commando
2001 Grand Cherokee WJ
2003 Wrangler Rubicon TJ
post #5 of 17 Old 07-21-2003, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Nini's Jeep

KaiserJeep,
Thank you for the information. It is very helpful.

My patience is wearing and I am about to call them and ask what they are doing.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-21-2003, 03:05 PM
macb

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by KaiserJeep
What an idiot. If you have a '03 Jeep it can't be the distributor .... they don't have a distributor, none of the Wrangler engines do. That thing on the oil pump shaft (where there used to be a distributor) is a camshaft position sensor (aka a CMP).

The device that times the spark is the Powertrain Control Module (PCM, aka the "engine computer") which produces a spark for each plug after the crankshaft position sensor produces a single pulse for each engine RPM. The 6-cylinder motor has three ignition coils and no distributor - each coil fires once per engine RPM, or 3 cyclinders fire per RPM. The 4-cylinder Jeep motor has a single ignition coil and fires twice per engine RPM, or 2 cylinders per RPM.

If you are getting pinging it is probably not related to gasoline octane - both Wrangler motors will run fine on 85-octane "Regular" grade gas. What has been the culprit on such problems in the past has been the electronic fuel injector timing, also known as the "sync set". This is setup off the CMP I mentioned before, and the dealer has to set it with an electronic tool called a DRB III. The correct setting is as near "0" degrees as possible - but many Jeeps have been delivered from the factory with as much as +12 degrees of sync set. If you can get this set properly the ping should end and you should notice better acceleration as well.
that is what I meant by WTF...distributor?

KJ knows what he's talking about!
you should print this and take it with you!

3.5" Terraflex, 1" BL, Flat Belly Pan, Currie Steering, 35s, Cowl Intake, blah blah blah:

Bob Supplee:
or (405) 799-8977
Stu Olson's great jeep resource site:

Last edited by macb; 07-21-2003 at 03:08 PM.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-21-2003, 03:26 PM
Jim Shanks

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe you could ask in a straight face what about the blinker fluid?

Cause they are obviously trying to take you for a ride. I'd find a different dealer. This one has no idea what is under the hood of a TJ. No distributor anymore... I think they took those away in '00 or '01.

Jim

"Cracked Cow" '01TonTJ2a, Solid Mfg HP60's, 5.38's, ARB's, PSC full hydro, 14" coilovers, ASD roof and doors, armored everywhere sitting on 40" Iroks.

post #8 of 17 Old 07-21-2003, 03:27 PM
dillonjm

2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally posted by KaiserJeep

Uh.. my 99 TJ WRANGLER has a distributor...they went distributorless in 2000 or 2001 I think.
post #9 of 17 Old 07-21-2003, 03:33 PM
Dee Cue

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by dillonjm

Uh.. my 99 TJ WRANGLER has a distributor...they went distributorless in 2000 or 2001 I think.
I think KaiserJeep was referring to '03 Wranglers...
Quote:
If you have a '03 Jeep it can't be the distributor .... they don't have a distributor, none of the Wrangler engines do
I think they went distributorless in 2001 since the hp/torque numbers changed that year...

Blk, '05 LJ, 6-spd, 3" Zone SL, 33" BFG AT on Soft 8's
post #10 of 17 Old 07-21-2003, 03:43 PM
dillonjm

2013 WK 

Quote:
Originally posted by Dee Cue

I think KaiserJeep was referring to '03 Wranglers...
I think they went distributorless in 2001 since the hp/torque numbers changed that year...
Yeah I must have read that wrong, when I read " none of the wrangler engines do" I assumed he meant ALL of the wrangler engines. But re-reading it I see what he meant.
post #11 of 17 Old 07-21-2003, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Nini's Jeep

Quote:
Originally posted by mcgawb

that is what I meant by WTF...distributor?

KJ knows what he's talking about!
you should print this and take it with you!
Yes, I did print it out and I sent it to my husband! It is very helpful info!

Quote:
That would really go along good with they way that they haven't talked to me, only my husband or my step-dad. They'd really think I was just a "dumb blonde girl" then.

Right after I read the responses I called and a guy told me that the pinging is fixed, when I tried to ask any other questions he said he was with a customer and had to call back.....an hour ago!! He still hasn't!

I'll let yall know what they say.

Thanks for all the replies! It is all very good to know.
post #12 of 17 Old 07-21-2003, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Nini's Jeep

Okay, finally got a call back!

They did exactly what Kaiser said....

The guy told me that they had to change the synchronization setting that was off. (This was a different guy that I talked to today).
I made sure and asked him in detail, he was jumping around saying it was hard to explain, so I just said to him what Kaiser had wrote and he said, "How did you know that?"

Thanks so much you guys! If yall wouldn't have given me this info I wouldn't have known if they were still pulling one over on me!

Yippee! I get my baby back tomorrow!
post #13 of 17 Old 07-21-2003, 04:12 PM
Owen

Glad to hear it all worked out... It sucks when dealers and mechanics pull this stuff.

Smuggler Re-Born.....
post #14 of 17 Old 07-21-2003, 07:11 PM
u4ea

Quote:
Originally posted by Nini's Jeep
Okay, finally got a call back!

They did exactly what Kaiser said....

The guy told me that they had to change the synchronization setting that was off. (This was a different guy that I talked to today).
I made sure and asked him in detail, he was jumping around saying it was hard to explain, so I just said to him what Kaiser had wrote and he said, "How did you know that?"

Thanks so much you guys! If yall wouldn't have given me this info I wouldn't have known if they were still pulling one over on me!

Yippee! I get my baby back tomorrow!
Congrats Nini, thats what I love about this board... people are happy to help those in need.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-21-2003, 07:19 PM
n2audio

Quote:
They would just say that they need to adjust the "nut behind the wheel"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in