Question regarding tie rods - JeepForum.com
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 01-19-2020, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
OMGKewl
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Question regarding tie rods

I just purchased a 99 Jeep Wrangler Sport and was wanting to replace the tie rod ends. I was wondering if I should just purchase a kit like the one from Rough Country or just keep the stock tie rod and replace the ends. This vehicle is basically my daily driver as well and ill be doing moderate wheeling on it. It has a 4in rough country lift on it and everything else is basically stock. Let me know what yall would do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-19-2020, 09:49 AM
TJKTodd

Moog

Sent from my SM-A705MN using Tapatalk
OMGKewl likes this.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-19-2020, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
OMGKewl
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJKTodd View Post
Moog

Sent from my SM-A705MN using Tapatalk
Thanks.

99 Jeep TJ Chili Pepper Red Pearl (Dark Red) w/ Rough Country 4" Lift Kit

post #4 of 19 Old 01-19-2020, 12:50 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Upgrading the skinny, hollow stock tie rod is always a good idea. I've been using Detroit Axle tie rod ends, ball joints and hub assembly/wheel bearings with really good results.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9pc-Drag-Li...ss!22968!US!-1
shortydog33, Ironhead and OMGKewl like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #5 of 19 Old 01-19-2020, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
OMGKewl
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Upgrading the skinny, hollow stock tie rod is always a good idea. I've been using Detroit Axle tie rod ends, ball joints and hub assembly/wheel bearings with really good results.
Thanks for your input. That looks like a really good option.

How is the stock tie rod holding up? How long have you had those parts on your jeep? That kit is actually quite cheap for all the parts that it has. My main concern was the stock tie rod with 33" tires on it. I lifted the jeep up yesterday and the ball joints seem fine but since it comes with the kit i would replace them as well. Now the tie rod ends are completely shot and need replacing.
Attached Thumbnails
Photo Jan 19, 3 31 12 PM.jpg   Photo Jan 19, 3 31 16 PM.jpg   Photo Jan 19, 3 31 27 PM.jpg   Photo Jan 19, 3 31 45 PM.jpg   Photo Jan 19, 3 31 32 PM.jpg  

Last edited by OMGKewl; 01-19-2020 at 03:44 PM.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-19-2020, 04:54 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I probably have 10,000 miles on those parts. I drive my Jeeps a LOT. It might just be the angle, but the 4th pic looks like a gap in the passenger side ball joint. Also, check the upper control arm axle side bushings (pic #3/pressed in ones). The rubber on mine started to disintegrate and shred off.
OMGKewl likes this.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #7 of 19 Old 01-19-2020, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
OMGKewl
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I probably have 10,000 miles on those parts. I drive my Jeeps a LOT. It might just be the angle, but the 4th pic looks like a gap in the passenger side ball joint. Also, check the upper control arm axle side bushings (pic #3/pressed in ones). The rubber on mine started to disintegrate and shred off.
Well since that kit comes with those ball joints ill replace them and let you know how it works for me. Yeah thanos snapped most of these bushings out of existence ill replace them shortly after i finish installing this kit and some new rotors / break pads.
TheBoogieman likes this.

post #8 of 19 Old 01-20-2020, 05:16 AM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Take another look at the second pic. Looks like there'd be a matching gap there if the rubber hadn't dropped.
TheBoogieman and OMGKewl like this.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-20-2020, 07:30 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGKewl View Post
after i finish installing this kit and some new rotors / brake pads.
Make sure you get the correct rotors too. Two different sizes were used in 99'.
Attached Images

OMGKewl likes this.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-20-2020, 08:44 AM
fromme

2003 TJ Wrangler 

4th pic down...axle shaft ujoint cap is broken. That would be my first priority and then check on those balljoints while it's all apart.
OMGKewl likes this.

2003 TJ Rubicon Tomb Raider Edition, 3" Zone lift, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZs, Warn Zeon 8S winch
post #11 of 19 Old 01-20-2020, 10:45 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromme View Post
4th pic down...axle shaft ujoint cap is broken. That would be my first priority and then check on those balljoints while it's all apart.
Minor cosmetic inconvenience for now. I'm sure the axle U-joint needle bearings are dust and need to be replaced too.
OMGKewl likes this.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
post #12 of 19 Old 01-20-2020, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
OMGKewl
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Make sure you get the correct rotors too. Two different sizes were used in 99'.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll need to do a bit of research to see what rotors I need.

Quote:
Minor cosmetic inconvenience for now. I'm sure the axle U-joint needle bearings are dust and need to be replaced too.
I wanted to replace the rotors / pad because when I would put some pressure on the breaks pedal I would feel a bit of shake (feels like if the rotos had a warp and break pads wobbled a bit) . I took both tires off and looked at the rotors pads and don't look to bad. Yes the pads need to be replaced soon enough but no hurry. Now i'm wondering if the ujoint is the cause of that shake. What do you yall think? If that's the case ill replace those and get my rotors measured to see if they still have life in them and change the front differential fluid since none of these parts have ever had any maintenance.

By the way thanks a lot for all of your help I really appreciate it and I remembered how great this community was and that's one of the reasons I purchased one again! I tried login in to my old account but could not figure out what email / password I used. So I a made a new forum account lol
TheBoogieman likes this.

post #13 of 19 Old 01-21-2020, 12:46 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I wanted to replace the rotors / pad because when I would put some pressure on the breaks pedal I would feel a bit of shake (feels like if the rotos had a warp and break pads wobbled a bit) . I took both tires off and looked at the rotors pads and don't look to bad. Yes the pads need to be replaced soon enough but no hurry. Now i'm wondering if the ujoint is the cause of that shake. What do you yall think? If that's the case ill replace those and get my rotors measured to see if they still have life in them and change the front differential fluid since none of these parts have ever had any maintenance.

By the way thanks a lot for all of your help I really appreciate it and I remembered how great this community was and that's one of the reasons I purchased one again! I tried login in to my old account but could not figure out what email / password I used. So I a made a new forum account lol
Jack up your Jeep, grab the tire top and bottom and try to shake it to see if you feel any movement, back and forth. If so, your wheel bearings are bad. When I did the ball joints and tie rod ends, I replaced the wheel bearings/hub assembly and axle u-joints too. That way I didn't have to take things apart again if anything else went bad. My axle u-joints were binding up while turning when they went bad. It felt almost like it was in 4wd when turning tight. On my 03' Sahara they felt fine, until I took them apart and the needle bearing were just dust.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
post #14 of 19 Old 01-22-2020, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
OMGKewl
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Jack up your Jeep, grab the tire top and bottom and try to shake it to see if you feel any movement, back and forth. If so, your wheel bearings are bad. When I did the ball joints and tie rod ends, I replaced the wheel bearings/hub assembly and axle u-joints too. That way I didn't have to take things apart again if anything else went bad. My axle u-joints were binding up while turning when they went bad. It felt almost like it was in 4wd when turning tight. On my 03' Sahara they felt fine, until I took them apart and the needle bearing were just dust.
No movement up / down there is some movement left and right. I ordered that kit and ujoints. Ill let y'all know what happens after they are installed
TheBoogieman likes this.

post #15 of 19 Old 01-22-2020, 01:55 PM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I just purchased a 99 Jeep Wrangler Sport and was wanting to replace the tie rod ends. I was wondering if I should just purchase a kit like the one from Rough Country or just keep the stock tie rod and replace the ends. This vehicle is basically my daily driver as well and ill be doing moderate wheeling on it. It has a 4in rough country lift on it and everything else is basically stock. Let me know what yall would do.
Get the tire rod ends and sleeve designed for the V8 grand Cherokee.

My kid has a rough country setup in his XJ, it is strong as heel but the design is different and you need to do some modifications. You feel every bump in the road and it feels like it is constantly pilling you tis way and that way.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in