Put money into my TJ, or buy a new JL? - JeepForum.com
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 06-23-2020, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
EricD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Put money into my TJ, or buy a new JL?

So I have been contemplating...

Would consider a new JL, but I just keep thinking about 50-60K and what I could do to my TJ with even a fraction of that money.

Not that I ever just throw money around, but I can think of a lot of things I could do versus spending $8-900 a month for a car payment.

Am I crazy to think that way?

What's y'all's opinion?

BYW, I think my 1st gear syncro is gone in my 6-speed, and probably either my throwout bearing or pilot bearing is shot in the clutch, so I'm looking at some work soon.

I really love my TJ, and if I start putting more money in it, I may just keep it forever.

F843739F-EFEE-4BA7-9B20-7F199D58C3C6

3C1F0772-8437-4990-8F9A-4758195A24AC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 06-23-2020, 02:48 PM
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just think of the kind of vehicles you could buy with $60k other than a minivan. Big block chevelle with a numbers matching 396, Camaro Z28 with a 302, slightly used Porsche 911...

I’d feel sick making payments for five years on a JL when I could’ve purchased something bad ***.
post #3 of 32 Old 06-23-2020, 02:59 PM
bobjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Spending 50-60k on a vehicle is foolish for the average person.

There are countless other things that can be done with that $900 (saving and investing are the best in my opinion). Fix the TJ. You could have a remanufactured transmission and new clutch for about $2k if you do the work yourself.

97 TJ sport.

post #4 of 32 Old 06-23-2020, 05:33 PM
cvariaex2

Pump your brakes.

Totally up to you. you are the person that must live with you decision.

I went through these gyrations with mine long ago. same with my other toys, ... yeah, new means you get to yammer about newness but, but, but,...

honestly:
  1. what is the future value of the $400+ car note (and increased in insurance premiums) if invested into $ generating assets, retirement, savings, business, rentals, SOU-SOUs...
  2. are those nameless people you are trying to impress with the JL gonna kick in some funds as well?
  3. Is indentured servitude worth it so you can try to be cool to nameless people?
  4. Why not a 2020 Gladiator (JT)?
  5. How many other cars/trucks/toys could you get for that same $45K+?
  6. why not wait it out and go used... and let some other genius eat that depreciation?
  7. ...[add your own deep thoughts]
  8. ...
  9. ...
  10. ...
  11. ...
  12. ~$7.00 used BONUS....https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...condition=used
  • my TJ has been faithfully by my side for over 14 years... it will stay by my side. I've put in the work and it's MINE!!!!!!
  • I have everything that except assisted driving features like lane departure, intelligent cruise, etc... and I don't want that crap.... I only drive manuals.... I don't want to drive an iphone. K.I.S.S. METHOD

you'll (hopefully) make the right choice for you ... and you are the person the must ultimately live with this decision...
Pine_Cat likes this.
post #5 of 32 Old 06-24-2020, 06:18 AM
CJREX

2004 WJ 

Keep the TJ.

2004 Grand Cherokee Overland
2" BDS springs 265/70/17 Milestar Patagonia MT
Kolak exhaust
post #6 of 32 Old 06-24-2020, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
EricD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies fellas. I’ve had my TJ for about 13 years now, and I don’t really want to give it up, but sometimes the lure of something new, or newer is tempting.

Now, to give you a little more information, one of my ideas was that since I would need to be doing some work on the transmission and clutch, I was thinking that maybe it might be a good time for an LS3 and auto transmission swap. Mostly for fun, because I probably don’t need a V8. But if I keep my Jeep forever, why not? Am I still thinking crazy?
post #7 of 32 Old 06-24-2020, 07:04 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Get a JL.

How much for the TJ?
post #8 of 32 Old 06-24-2020, 08:51 AM
Supraquick

Garage
There is no better car value than the one you currently own. You could do the transmission for 1 or 2 payments on a JL.

If you kept putting a JL payment's worth a month into your TJ, you would probably run out pages in the Quadratec catalog a year before you paid off the stock JL.
jeepguy03 likes this.

When passion and skill work together, the end result is often a masterpiece. - John Ruskin
post #9 of 32 Old 06-24-2020, 09:35 AM
BM3

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Keep the TJ....
post #10 of 32 Old 06-24-2020, 01:37 PM
djfuzzy
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well, my wife and I have enough saved, enough liquidity, and don't have to worry about college for our kids (I'm active duty going 5.5 years from retirement and she's medically retired after 10.5 years), so we kept my paid off TJ and bought a Gladiator for me to drive around daily. I gotta be honest, I absolutely love driving the JT around. It's a fun little Jeep/truck. I went with a modest Sport S with Max Tow and I couldn't be happier. I put 35s on it and a leveling kit just to make it look a little better, but it will remain a stock ride for the most part. This allows me the flexibility to tear the TJ down and build it back up over time.
grogie likes this.

USMC 2006-Present
2000 TJ - some stuff
post #11 of 32 Old 06-24-2020, 06:05 PM
MarioM0one
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfuzzy View Post
Well, my wife and I have enough saved, enough liquidity, and don't have to worry about college for our kids (I'm active duty going 5.5 years from retirement and she's medically retired after 10.5 years), so we kept my paid off TJ and bought a Gladiator for me to drive around daily. I gotta be honest, I absolutely love driving the JT around. It's a fun little Jeep/truck. I went with a modest Sport S with Max Tow and I couldn't be happier. I put 35s on it and a leveling kit just to make it look a little better, but it will remain a stock ride for the most part. This allows me the flexibility to tear the TJ down and build it back up over time.
What a great choice! You seem to be in a position to afford it without putting yourself in a bind. What is the value of the satisfaction you get from owning/driving the JL around? You will probably keep it forever, so the cost over the long run will be relatively negligible. Nothing wrong with buying something you really like because you can. Makes all the sweat and tears you put into the work you do worth it. AND, you only live once. Congratulations!
post #12 of 32 Old 06-24-2020, 07:49 PM
Pine_Cat
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Don't give up the TJ, you would regret it. Nothing wrong with an extra vehicle, but the upmodel's not a good value. Jeep is now charging $20,000 extra for the red dashboard glue-on trim and equal-cost full-time transfer case.

I feel like I got away with something with my JK Sahara. I'm embarassed to admit I might pay $4,000 extra for the appearance package, if it's really something special, but $20,000 ?

The $20,000 piece of plastic on the dash reminds me of the guys who attach Mercedes emblems to their 20-year-old Buicks.

2017 JK
2016 MK- Murchison springs, ~1" BL, skinny 30s
2011 KK- H&R lift springs, OldManEmu shocks/struts, skinny 31s
2009 Sorento- H&R springs, ToyTec strut spacers, OldManEmu shocks/struts, 31s
2006 TJ budget LCG prerunner- see profile
2006 Trailblazer- EXT lift, Nth LJ 4.5" springs + Monroe rear coilovers, skinny 32s
1998 Durango- SuspMax & Roadmaster lifts, rear Truetrac, skinny 32s
post #13 of 32 Old 06-25-2020, 04:49 PM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Doctor View Post
Just think of the kind of vehicles you could buy with $60k other than a minivan. Big block chevelle with a numbers matching 396, Camaro Z28 with a 302, slightly used Porsche 911...

I’d feel sick making payments for five years on a JL when I could’ve purchased something bad ***.
This if you really want another vehicle besides the TJ

I'd keep the TJ and do the trans work then give it any restoration work it needs with what you'd spend on payments for a new Fiat Jeep that will drop in value like a stone, keep the TJ a mild build so it will hold it's value or even increase in value over time.
it looks great as is.

If you do an engine swap, consider any inspections you may have to pass now or in the future, the way things are going emissions testing will be happening in more and more areas. if you are unable to get tags for it it's just lawn art.

But then I'm biased about old Jeeps.

Whats over that next ridge?
post #14 of 32 Old 06-28-2020, 06:46 PM
PDoyle

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have a shop you trust to install a V8?
An 8 cyl would be awesome. More power is always good. But then you change the Jeeps specs from oem.
You are located in Florida so I assume it will never rust.

2003 X, 5 speed, FT/RR bumpers by Eddie Reighard. JKS 1" body lift, JKS disco's, 2 1/2" Rough Country lift, 8k Warn, w/class 3 receiver FT & RR hitch. GA 8 rims riding 33's- GY Kevlar.
SOLD- 1985 CJ7 soft top , fiberglass body, 5" total lift258-6- Howell TBI, Full Roll cage.
post #15 of 32 Old 06-28-2020, 08:30 PM
BlueFl.Wrangler
Supporting Member

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Keep the TJ
Save the $$

Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions

Winston Churchill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in