Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Pure Muscle Control arms

11K views 98 replies 33 participants last post by  Necromancer_tat 
#1 ·
#7 ·
I just put on a set of these (http://www.rocky-road.com/tj-control-arms.html) this past w/e. I went with the fixed due to me wanting to get it more road ready. My last ones were Rough Country that had 140K miles on them with ALOT of rock crawling. When I took them off, they literally fell apart. Fit and finish are great and they have grease zerks already in them.

It's amazing how much better it rides/drives w/out those worn out bushings!

#9 ·
If you can't stomach the sticker shock of a set of 8 MC, Currie, savvy arms be patient and cruise the classifieds. I think there are still a set of currie upper rear CA's listed on there, they come up some what often. I couldn't afford a brand spanking new set so I first purchased used currie upper rears from here. Then found a set of fronts used on craigslist that I'm in the process of rebuilding...much more economical way to buy great control arms

#11 ·
Hey thanks for the ideas, never heard of Metalcloak before. Yes sticker shock when looking to get all at once, but it's easier to get past the wife if I get a set every weekend. Probably wont install them until April/May so I have time, but it looks like I have more research to do. Thanks again...

#22 ·
I think MC has a good product but not close to the level of attention to ROKMENs! And ROKMEN arms are built stronger with bigger OD, thicker wall, and larger shanks on the JJ... Not to mention the insane TIG welds versus the bubble gum welds of all the others! When someone pays that much attention to detail and strength its worth noticing
As to your question, I think the general wisdom is to not run a mix of self centering and non-self centering joints. So one would ideally not run both MC and JJ paired together if it could be avoided

#25 ·
CZDiesel said:
ROKMEN arms would be my vote... Not a stronger, better made arm on the market!
Are Rokmen lower arms able to adjust shorter than stock yet? This is a major disadvantage to those that are not be willing to cut into the body IMO.

The rear tires will contact the rear portion of the wheel well if stock length lowers are used along with 35s and a good raise of the transfer case.

#26 ·
I have been running the new style RC adj arms sense May and I am very happy with them. Other I know have been running them longer and no issues. They have a clevite bushing at one end and a flex joint (Johnny Joint rip off) at the other. I think you can get a complete set of those for less than the ones you posted. The old style RC arms had the poly type joints and those joints are horrible in any arm.

Here they are for 700 bucks a complete set.

http://www.amazon.com/Rough-Country...keywords=set+rough+country+adjustable+arms+TJ

#33 ·
CZDiesel said:
I think MC has a good product but not close to the level of attention to ROKMENs! And ROKMEN arms are built stronger with bigger OD, thicker wall, and larger shanks on the JJ... Not to mention the insane TIG welds versus the bubble gum welds of all the others! When someone pays that much attention to detail and strength its worth noticing As to your question, I think the general wisdom is to not run a mix of self centering and non-self centering joints. So one would ideally not run both MC and JJ paired together if it could be avoided
I sure wish ROKMEN used duroflex joints. My jeep is my DD so I'm very concerned with keeping the ride as smooth as possible. I just can't see myself wheeling hard enough that the difference in construction would be a factor, as far as strength is concerned.

#41 ·
OP you may not need what one considers the biggest baddest best arms known to man kind . To most of us Currie Savvy or Metalcloak are just fine . I have yet to see an issue with any including Rokmen . I prefer to not add any more weight to my TJ than is needed for my needs.

#53 ·
I love the hypocrisy in this forum. So when Rokmen produces a product that is viewed as 'overkill' and something that 99% of jeepers will never fully realize the benefits of it's foolish of the company. But when Savvy produces something that is viewed as overkill it's because they're industry leaders and everyone fawns over their products like children on xmas morning

#57 ·
I'm not sure if this was directed at me, but I'd like to think I'm a bit more neutral than this. Both companies make quality products marketed to different people. Neither is foolish because at the end of the day they are successful businesses.

If you really want the Duroflex bushing worrying about something like the strength of the Metalcloak arms compared to Rokmen is silly. Until Rokmen starts producing arms with the Duroflex joint the argument is moot, the Metalcloak arms are plenty strong.

#54 ·
Not to hijack the thread, my 04 Rubicon is a DD and no lift or planned, it is not a mall crawler and goes offroad on occasion (trail rating 3 and 4 stuff) however I believe the drivers side one or both of the Control Arm bushings are going bad is it possible to just replace the bushings on the stock control arm and if so any specifics I should be aware of or should I plan on replacing the arms themselves?

#59 ·
i have wrecked 3 sets of factory arms... they are NOT strong enough to bend the brackets the arms will bend long before that.

The arms are built to twist and flex just so they do not hard the brackets thats why fixed aftermarket arms without a flex joint are the worst thing to can put on your jeep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.