Pulling to Right after Brake Job? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-16-2019, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Jcpstrat
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Pulling to Right after Brake Job?

I took my 2000 Wrangler Sahara in for a brake job with no pulling issues when hitting the brakes. I was told it needed front pads and rotors. Back brakes were good except driver side rear brake cylinder was just starting to seep fluid. This was with 130,000 on it and only one previous brake job. I OK'd them to do front and asked them to rebuild both rear cylinders which they did. Everything seemed fine when I headed home but after about 10 miles it started pulling to the right. By the time I got home (another 10 miles), it was pulling really hard to the right and also it smelled like something was burning when I got out. I couldn't identify where the smell was coming from and thought maybe it was something else in neighbor hood. Next day I headed back to the shop but everything was fine with just a very slight pulling ... very slight.

They checked everything and there were no leaks. Spun both front wheels after standing hard on brakes and releasing, to see if a caliper piston was sticking but saw nothing unusual. They felt it was the flexible brake lines so they replaced both. I drove it home and everything was fine ... not pulling at all. The next day I drove it about 50 miles with 3 stops and no problems until the 3rd stop and then the pulling started again. Again when I got it home it smelled like something was burning when I got out but again I couldn't identify if the smell was coming from front or back.

This morning it drove fine again until around 20 miles a very slight pull to the right started and it's very very slight.

Any thoughts on what I should look for or tell the shop to check? John

1967 Corvette Coupe
2000 Wrangler Sahara
2015 Cherokee Latitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-16-2019, 06:13 PM
Jeepsr4me

easy way to check is HEAT.. the dragging brake will be way hotter than the rest. Start by touching the rim close to the hub so you dont get burned. Better way is with one of those hand held temp infrared sensors.. But hand works too.

If its the front have them look at the knuckle where the pad rides. There can be grooves cut in from the metal plate of the pad. I have cleaned the groove out good and welded in new metal and filed it back to normal with good results.

post #3 of 6 Old 08-16-2019, 06:25 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

+1 check for a brake/wheel that is noticeably hotter than the others or if one is completely cold after use.

Another possible cause for a hanging disc brake is if the caliper mount bolts and/or slides aren't lubed properly.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon

post #4 of 6 Old 08-16-2019, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Jcpstrat
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Jeepsr4me and mukluk ... I'll try to check that out tomorrow.

1967 Corvette Coupe
2000 Wrangler Sahara
2015 Cherokee Latitude
post #5 of 6 Old 08-17-2019, 10:30 AM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I'm willing to bet that the shop did not flush the fluid first, and when the piston was compressed to make room for the new pads, it pushed the crud that was sitting in the caliper back up into the lines, and now your caliper is sticking. Pretty common with the Jeep calipers.
Always flush the brake fluid about every 2-3 years to avoid this.

Get out and explore.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-17-2019, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Jcpstrat
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Shark_13 ... I'll keep that in mind.

I just got back from a 40 mile round trip to Harbor Freight to pickup an inexpensive infrared gun. Figured I need to at least get a tool out of this effort. Most of this was Interstate driving and no significant issues. Even when I got home there might have been the slightest pull to the right but it's possible it was just the road surface too.

By the time I got the package open and a battery installed (about 5 min.), the front wheel hubs measured 155oF and the rears measured 135oF. Front & back were within 1 degree F of each other. Sooooo .... no significant pull, no significant temperature and no smell of anything getting hot.

For now I'm going to keep the infrared gun in the car and if it starts to act up I'll be on it!

Thanks for everyone's input ... I'll update this thread if anything new develops. John

1967 Corvette Coupe
2000 Wrangler Sahara
2015 Cherokee Latitude

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in