Problem after replacing Radiator, Water Pump and Stat - Overheating - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 25 Old 03-13-2018, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
fishnyc22
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
So how much coolant did you get in the entire system????

It sounds like a hair more than a gallon. The capacity of the 4.0 cooling system is 10.5 quarts or just a little less than 3 gallons.

The Stant Superstat is what you want for a thermostat https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C7YRNM...&creative=9325
I drained about 1.5 gal of coolant out of the system. Then whatever came out when I removed the pump and stat. Trying to get coolant back into the system, burped as much to get just over a gallon in, then tried to run the system to get more in (with cap off) but it would just build pressure and overflow out the top (did that a few times). So I replaced the cap, filled the res to full and it pulled all that in, So I think it's close to what I removed (I'm sure there was easily another gallon in the system between the block and the heater core. But I could be wrong.

So is there no way the radiator is still usable after seeping from the upper seams? That seal is broken I suppose. Supplier is sending me a replacement radiator.

Can I simply unbolt the stat housing and remove it without having to drain everything? I don't want to assume so and have it leaking out into the pan.

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 Old 03-13-2018, 09:05 AM
Freeagent27
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnyc22 View Post
I drained about 1.5 gal of coolant out of the system. Then whatever came out when I removed the pump and stat. Trying to get coolant back into the system, burped as much to get just over a gallon in, then tried to run the system to get more in (with cap off) but it would just build pressure and overflow out the top (did that a few times). So I replaced the cap, filled the res to full and it pulled all that in, So I think it's close to what I removed (I'm sure there was easily another gallon in the system between the block and the heater core. But I could be wrong.

So is there no way the radiator is still usable after seeping from the upper seams? That seal is broken I suppose. Supplier is sending me a replacement radiator.

Can I simply unbolt the stat housing and remove it without having to drain everything? I don't want to assume so and have it leaking out into the pan.

thanks!

You can unbolt the stat housing without draining the system, but you will still need to catch the coolant in something below as you will lose some coolant from the upper hose as well as the thermostat. I had to do mine twice as I had a slight dribble from my gasket as I didnít clean the mating surface well enough the 1st time.
X2 on the Stant or OEM. The OEM will be in a sealed Mopar package

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"My thoughts on yoga pants? Depends who I'm walking behind".
post #18 of 25 Old 03-13-2018, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
fishnyc22
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj99 View Post
I replaced my radiator and thermostat and still had overheating issues, mine did turn out to be the radiator cap. It was tested at the auto supply and found to be bad. Don't trust the shininess to mean it's new, I've got caps taken off of cars several years ago that still look new.

I had a lot of issues getting all the air out of mine. Make sure you get the full amount in as JimSmith mentioned.
Yes, good point. Thank you.

So the issue is either: There was quite a bit of air still in the system, the stat, or the rad cap. I'm so mad I let it run as long as I did, but I didnt realize that anything abnormal was happening till it was too late. I was busy looking for any leaks.

post #19 of 25 Old 03-13-2018, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
fishnyc22
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeagent27 View Post
You can unbolt the stat housing without draining the system, but you will still need to catch the coolant in something below as you will lose some coolant from the upper hose as well as the thermostat. I had to do mine twice as I had a slight dribble from my gasket as I didnít clean the mating surface well enough the 1st time.
X2 on the Stant or OEM. The OEM will be in a sealed Mopar package

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK thanks. I'll give that a shot. May as well test it while waiting for the new Radiator to come. It was an OEM Stat in the mopar bag.
Freeagent27 likes this.
post #20 of 25 Old 03-13-2018, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
fishnyc22
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Hey all. So I am taking baby steps here. I went out today. Burped the line a bit more. Added a little more coolant, and ran the engine (with cap on) for about 10min. Temp didnt come anywhere close to where it was before. Turned it off. Let it cool. I could hear air bubbling into the overflow reservoir (that's good right? Bleeding itself?)

Opened cap, was able to put in about another 1/2 quart. I have a total of 2Gal in there now which is pretty close to what came out of it. Ran it again for another 10 min. Idle temp around 190-200. Never went above that. Turned it off again. Letting it cool to see if there's any room for more coolant.

No built up pressure. No leaking of seams at the top. Is it possible that the radiator is all good? I want to do a test drive in a bit to see if temp gets any higher or if there's any sign of a leak. Wondering if I'm all good and I dont' have to do anything? That whole issue with the pressure could have been b/c there was way too little fluid (too much air) in the system.

Or do I replace the radiator again (really don't want to)?
post #21 of 25 Old 03-13-2018, 12:28 PM
pagrey
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnyc22 View Post
Or do I replace the radiator again (really don't want to)?
I'd just keep an eye on it, sounds like it's working fine now. You'll probably smell it or notice the level in the overflow drop if you have a leak.
post #22 of 25 Old 03-13-2018, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
fishnyc22
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagrey View Post
I'd just keep an eye on it, sounds like it's working fine now. You'll probably smell it or notice the level in the overflow drop if you have a leak.
Music to my ears. Just took it for a spin up to the end of the valley and back. Never went above 210. Seems to be when the stat kicks in and drops it back down to 200. Sound about right based on what I read. Whew!

Thanks for all the help guys!
post #23 of 25 Old 03-13-2018, 02:44 PM
tj99

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Congrats! I'd keep an eye on the overflow tank for a few days. You may have to add a little more but it sounds like your on the right track.

You might also check the clamps on the hoses in a week or so, I've had them work loose at times.
Freeagent27 likes this.

1998 2.5L 5Spd - Sold
1999 4.0L Auto - Mine
2010 JKU - Sold
2014 JKU - Wifes
post #24 of 25 Old 03-14-2018, 05:42 PM
atrizzy
2003 TJ Wrangler 

After your initial overheat did you confirm that the system is in fact full of fluid?

When filling the system cold and quickly you might get a blockage at the stat and create an air pocket...

Maybe just reaching here...
post #25 of 25 Old 05-14-2018, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
fishnyc22
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Hey guys. Since this last post on this, I've been keeping an eye on the overflow tank. I'm wondering if I have a slight leak. It seems to have gone down about 1.5". I can't visibly see where it's leaking but there has been a slight similar smell that I was hoping was just from when I worked on it and drained everything. But now maybe there's something slightly leaking.

How would I go about finding where the leak is? I took it for a solid ride, came back and looked everywhere with a work light. There's no sign (but some spots are tough to see) and there's no dripping appearing under it.

It's been a while. So it's really slow but the jeep truly driven much either. Getting to that time of year though and want to figure this out. Could it be the radiator which when under that heavy pressure (read earlier) shows bubbling signs? Or one of the gaskets (which I believed really cleaned well to create a good seal).

@atrizzy - that is definitely what happened. There was an airpocket and pressure built up then finally released and I was able to get it full. Thanks

Thanks!
Dave

Tags
boiling , overheating , radiator , thermostat , water pump

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in