Pre purchase questions 2006 Rubi Unlimited - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 27 Old 08-10-2017, 02:12 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJnBC View Post
I think it has been said here. The 05/06 had OPDA issues. Which CAN cause engine failure if not looked after.
While this is a real issue, we must have a different definition of engine failure. OP, for your benefit the OPDA design in 05-06 is flawed but the severe problems arise from poor QC and are hit or miss as to who gets hit with them. Regardless though there is an improved aftermarket design that is about $100 and 15 minutes to swap in.

Oh, and the gas tank issue mentioned above can be fixed with a $30 part and about 30 minutes of work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 Old 08-10-2017, 02:20 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
While this is a real issue, we must have a different definition of engine failure. OP, for your benefit the OPDA design in 05-06 is flawed but the severe problems arise from poor QC and are hit or miss as to who gets hit with them. Regardless though there is an improved aftermarket design that is about $100 and 15 minutes to swap in.

Oh, and the gas tank issue mentioned above can be fixed with a $30 part and about 30 minutes of work.
I am pretty confident if you left a defective OPDA, you would have catastrophic engine failure which COULD cost $1000s ....Unless you fix the issue before that happens (for like $100 like you said), if your jeep had the QC issue

2006 LJR...the madness begins again
post #18 of 27 Old 08-10-2017, 02:40 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJnBC View Post
I am pretty confident if you left a defective OPDA, you would have catastrophic engine failure which COULD cost $1000s ....Unless you fix the issue before that happens (for like $100 like you said), if your jeep had the QC issue
Are you sure? Even if you continued running it for extended period after laughing monkeys started wouldn't you just develop enough slop at the OPDA/cam mesh due to gear wear that the timing would be out and the PCM would shut down? Just like the people who don't get it right when they swap OPDAs and their jeep won't run. At that point, the cam would almost certainly need to be replaced so not minor, but not sure that qualifies as catastrophic engine failure. To me that's seizing, rod through the block, etc. And again this would require extensive driving after laughing monkeys start.

post #19 of 27 Old 08-10-2017, 02:49 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Are you sure? Even if you continued running it for extended period after laughing monkeys started wouldn't you just develop enough slop at the OPDA/cam mesh due to gear wear that the timing would be out and the PCM would shut down? Just like the people who don't get it right when they swap OPDAs and their jeep won't run. At that point, the cam would almost certainly need to be replaced so not minor, but not sure that qualifies as catastrophic engine failure. To me that's seizing, rod through the block, etc. And again this would require extensive driving after laughing monkeys start.
Yeah that would be the extreme scenario. Lets face it though, how many non experienced jeepers would let a sound like that go and let it develop into something more serious. I am no engine guy, that's for sure. So if the Cam went on me, I would be broke hahah...that is catastrophic for me. My weekends would have to be spent with my wife as my poor jeep would sit...

post #20 of 27 Old 08-10-2017, 04:00 PM
grogie
I Like to Camp

2006 TJ Wrangler 

If the '06 is nice, I wouldn't pass on it. LJs are rare, to begin with.

LJs...

Red Jeep Club #345
'06 TJ Sport -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 KJ Limited - Sold
'13 Off-Road Trailer -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 Tacoma TRD OR

"Civilization is what old men salvage
from the onslaught of young idealists. Don Colacho

post #21 of 27 Old 08-10-2017, 04:52 PM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
LJs are rare, to begin with.
Not where I live. There's 10 on craigslist right now within an hour drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
2003' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with Rancho RS5000X shocks/ Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #22 of 27 Old 08-11-2017, 08:19 AM
LJ Dave
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
04 LJ's are auto only but they did offer a rubicon model
05-06 have the opda issue and a breather valve on the fuel fill tube that gets stuck and shoots gas out when the tank is full
06 autos have a goofy glitch in the TCU that tells the trans to hard shift from 1st to 2nd until the trans is warmed up

04 is generally seen as one of the most reliable years
LJ Rubicons were not available until the 05 model year.

2005 Rubicon LJ 4.5 inches of lift, 35's
post #23 of 27 Old 08-11-2017, 08:56 AM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ Dave View Post
this ^^^^

post #24 of 27 Old 08-11-2017, 09:18 AM
Ironhead

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ Dave View Post
good to know, then i'd go with an 05 since many of the 06 autos are having TCU issues

post #25 of 27 Old 08-11-2017, 01:18 PM
Kgleiss05

2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you find a rust free LJ Rubicon with mileage you're okay with, I would not pass it up. Took me 7 months and a flight across the country and drive back to get mine. Couldn't be happier. Replaced opda as soon as I got home so I wouldn't need to worry. I'll never get rid of this Jeep.

06 LJR, Jeep green, hardtop, 6 spd, 3.5" springs, JKS front track bar, RE lower control arms, bilstein shocks.
post #26 of 27 Old 08-11-2017, 02:38 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgleiss05 View Post
If you find a rust free LJ Rubicon with mileage you're okay with, I would not pass it up. Took me 7 months and a flight across the country and drive back to get mine. Couldn't be happier. Replaced opda as soon as I got home so I wouldn't need to worry. I'll never get rid of this Jeep.
I wouldn't either for the KMs and price you paid
Kgleiss05 likes this.

post #27 of 27 Old 08-16-2017, 04:12 PM
ChicagoRod

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Now if you can find an LJ Rubicon Sahara.... confirm it has the number plate on the dash as well as doing a CarFax to prove it's originality since there were only 2000 made.

Rod
05' LJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in