Power Steering leak help - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-18-2017, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
jkimmerlein7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Power Steering leak help

Looking for some tips on identifying where a power steering fluid leak is coming from. I've checked the lower seal under the pitman arm and it is fine. I can't quite find a specific spot it is coming from but it is dripping. I have been trying to top it off when I can but as you can imagine it's getting annoying to have to top it off every day. Any suggestions on common leak spots to check?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-18-2017, 07:20 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Have you checked the pump where it connects to the reservoir? That's where mine was leaking from and dripping onto the front axle diff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
2003' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with Rancho RS5000X shocks/ Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-18-2017, 07:22 AM
LJ Dave
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Leaks can come from anywhere. I suggest you thoroughly clean the power steering pump, hoses and gear box. Use 409 or some other cleaner/degreaser and a rag to get the grime off and then watch for the highest spot that gets damp with power steering fluid. I had one of my hoses develop a leak where the rubber part meets the steel swaged on end of the hose. I was quickly able to locate the spot of the leak once I had everything cleaned up.

2005 Rubicon LJ 4.5 inches of lift, 35's

post #4 of 6 Old 07-18-2017, 07:41 AM
92WranglerinUT
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I just discovered a power steering leak on my jeep. It is leaking at the pump itself, just behind pulley. Have you checked there?
post #5 of 6 Old 07-18-2017, 08:47 AM
wadewen

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
If it's coming out of the pulley shaft area, a rebuild kit will have all the seals and orings needed to repair it.

His: 97 TJ Sport -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FSM Link:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hers: 02 WJ Overland -

FSM Link (have to create login) -
post #6 of 6 Old 07-18-2017, 10:34 AM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

If it's leaking from the shaft and you do it before the bearing collapses you can get away with just changing the front bearing.

That's what I ended up doing, after my pump failed when waiting for a repair kit to arrive. I still have the unused kit.

It's a 6203 2RS bearing on the 4.0L pumps.

Sent from my D5803 using JeepForum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in