Power locks - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-19-2003, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
drew622

Power locks

I have a 2000 Wrangler w/ full metal doors and a hard top. Has anyone ever installed power locks to be triggered off the alarm remote? I figure I could install a contact betwwen the door and body, so as not to have to run any wires between the 2. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-19-2003, 11:03 AM
Markus

Have a look at the link below. The owner of this 98 Sahara fabbed his own power door locks. I don't think it is a difficult job.

http://whitesahara.rockcrawler.com/prod04.htm

Also, look at this link for more detailed pics.

http://www.4wdlinks.com/harryworld/

Markus.

Last edited by Markus; 06-19-2003 at 11:05 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-19-2003, 11:08 AM
IMOiRock

I did it because it was easy when I was installing my alarm and because I am lazy so it was a good upgrade. You just need weatherproof harnesses for both doors so that you can disconnect them for taking the doors off in the summer. I got SPAL actuators and they work great. The DEI actuators are great too.

post #4 of 7 Old 06-19-2003, 04:23 PM
Dioxide

2010 KK Liberty 

I have a 2000 TJ and the install was really easy. I think I got the DEI actuators off EBay. You should be fine with the two wired actuators rather then the 4 wire ones. I think the 4 wire ones are for 4 doors but I could be wrong.

More or less the hardest part is determining what output wire on your alarm does the doors. After that it is very strait forward.
I have an Alpine Alarm and had trouble getting a wireing diagram for the Alarm but once I got it it was a breeze to install.

I also have power windows in mine so I have to get the 6 wire waterproof plugs in order to do my setup.

Just make sure you use gromets on the doors where the wires come out otherwise you will wear into the wires pretty fast from the vibrations of the Jeep.

I know there was a setup that would allow you to use contacts rather then wires but I can't remember where I saw them. If anyone knows where you can find them let me know as well.

Good Luck!

Dave
post #5 of 7 Old 06-19-2003, 05:59 PM
sledhead

I think you can buy the contacts that jeep uses in the tailgate to use for the windows, but I have the 5 wire actuators and buying 20 contacts and the grommets gets a little pricey, and the contacts in the tailgates are kinda big, and 5 of them on the doorjam would get a little crowded. If anyone knows of smaller/cheaper ones let me know.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-19-2003, 08:07 PM
TX WJ

Been there done that.

post #7 of 7 Old 06-19-2003, 11:38 PM
LRH

smaller contacts

Some GM full size vans use a small board of contacts in the rear "barn doors" I have see them in four, five, and I think six on one panel. Some of these vans have r/defog, 3rd b/light, speakers, door lock actuator, and a tag light in the rear doors so they require a lot of contacts. very compact

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in