Power locks? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-05-2001, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Sahara98

Power locks?

I know that many out there think that heat and ac are unnecessary frills but has anyone installed power door locks on their wrangler?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-05-2001, 01:34 AM
Jefff

Do you have the half doors?

I looked at doing it but decided not to, becuse it would involve drilling holes in the door, which means rust city.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-05-2001, 09:04 AM
SunDawg

I have power locks. JCWhitney sells pretty nice kits. I used a two-door kit on an old p/u I had and never had a problem with it. So I decided to do the same thing with my TJ. Except one of the most annoying features (imo) is the lock on the tailgate. I bought a four-door power lock setup and put actuators in both door and the tailgate....that left me with one extra in case I ever had mechanical difficulties. It is a very easy process. I even have plugs so I can remove the doors. Of course the whole reason for this was for keyless entry. I haven't used a key for a door ever since I put all that stuff in there. Let me know if you have any questions. I could take a few pictures for you (for some reason I didn't take any pictures and I have been looking for a reason to do so).

post #4 of 7 Old 11-05-2001, 09:06 AM
SunDawg

btw...drilling is very minimal...2 holes per actuator and they are on the interior side of the door (underneath the door panels). It is also very easy to take some rust proofing spray and q-tip to remedy the possible rust threat.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-08-2001, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Sahara98

Thanks for the input. I have Lojac installed on my jeep. Any idea whether I can make it so that my alarm remote will also open the door locks? I also have a microwave alarm for when the roof is off and the people who installed it were able to connect it so that it would go off and on with my Lojac remote. As far as the tailgate...I never even thought about making that tied to the remote. Sounds cool though.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-13-2001, 12:40 AM
eltj

I have a 98 tj sahara which I installed power windows and power locks to. As well as putting a lock motor in the rear door. It is very easy and the parts are cheap. Just dont forget to put plugs on the wires from the doors to the jeep so you can take your doors off without messing with the wires. The best deal on door lock actuators is going to be at a alarm or stereo shop. They should cost no more than $15 each depending on the shop. The door lock will wire into any decent alarm so you can have keyless entry as well. The job is simple for the most part but a novis would have problems doing the back door. I am a perfessional installer of 8 years so the job was a breez but for someone without experience it will probably take you about 5 hrs.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-13-2001, 01:00 AM
SunDawg

I found the tailgate actuator easier to install than the doors. However, once you figure out one door the second is a breeze...it is really an easy process. However, I have a natural knack for that kind of stuff for some reason. It was only the second kit I ever installed. One thing about the kit from JCWhitney over buying single actuators from a car audio/alarm shop is that the kit is self sustaining. Complete install instructions for power lock installation (usually the car audio/alarm places are not expecting to sell their actuators for other people to install). Then once you have that working you can tie it in with a couple wires to your keyless entry or alarm with keyless entry. I really like the kit as well because it comes with the relays and dash/door mount buttons.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in