Power locks on a 2005 TJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 36 Old 08-03-2008, 02:57 PM
That1guy

2007 WK 

You know whats funny. Alot of the tj's say they want power doors and windows, but the JK has them now and its apparently a sin to the real jeeps.

I'm forever grateful to Speedycat and RnEmOvr for their generosity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 36 Old 08-03-2008, 05:05 PM
CanadianCon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
maybe he has a hard top, ever think of that? use your head before posting.
Actually looking at his picture that looks like a soft top to me

03 Rubicon
Stock.....Till spring :)
post #18 of 36 Old 08-03-2008, 05:53 PM
wenkebach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Hye View Post
You can either use some molex fittings (try radio shack) or I put in some Jamb-tac contacts, which were a pain to do but well worth it.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Painless/744584/10002/-1
I put electric locks in my 2005 - they work great! I added a "quick disconnect" feature so I can take the doors off. Made from electric guitar cord (1/4" male/female jack). Works perfectly.

2005 Wrangler Sport - 4.0L 6 speed
Rusty's 3" Lift, 33x12.5 Trxus MT's, JKS 1.25" BL, JKS BMML, Jeeperman Skidz
Jeeperman Bumper/Pre-runner Bar, Warn Winch, Front Aussie Locker

post #19 of 36 Old 08-03-2008, 06:36 PM
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCon View Post
Actually looking at his picture that looks like a soft top to me
what picture? the OP hasnt ever posted a picture

2010 Magnetic Toyota 4Runner Trail Teams

My builds:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

or follow us on
post #20 of 36 Old 08-03-2008, 08:40 PM
CanadianCon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

look at his profile picture

03 Rubicon
post #21 of 36 Old 08-03-2008, 08:49 PM
rmb2485

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
look at his profile picture
Good call, except for the fact that the OP has no profile picture......

I have power locks in my TJ and I lock the doors (actually they lock automatically when I set the alarm) whether I have the hard top, soft top or no top on. I don't disagree that if somebody wants to get in a vehicle they will get in regardless of what security measures are in place, however I think there is a difference between the guy who will root around in your Jeep just because the door was unlocked and the guy who will slash your window to get in because the door was locked. If somebody wants to slash my soft top to open the door, set the alarm off and realize that anything important is secured by Tuffy then that's why I pay Geico for comprehensive coverage. But if some kid is walking by and decides to see if the door is open, then he will be continuing on his way past my Jeep and on to yours to take the $2 of change from your ash tray.
post #22 of 36 Old 08-03-2008, 10:47 PM
CanadianCon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i was talking about sky hye, because his comment was the one who started the whole soft top hard top thing

03 Rubicon
post #23 of 36 Old 08-04-2008, 06:52 AM
rmb2485

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
i was talking about sky hye, because his comment was the one who started the whole soft top hard top thing
Actually the hard/soft top thing was brought up by you. Sky Hye contributed to the thread in his first post, and questioned your comment about not locking your doors with a soft top in his second post.

post #24 of 36 Old 08-04-2008, 09:35 AM
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb2485 View Post
Actually the hard/soft top thing was brought up by you. Sky Hye contributed to the thread in his first post, and questioned your comment about not locking your doors with a soft top in his second post.

good call!

something that crossed my mind. couldnt you use the button connectors like what are used in the tailgate as a way of connecting your doors easily? it seems like the wedge shaped box thats on the tailgate could be easy to reproduce out of light sheet metal on a smaller scale

My builds:
and

or follow us on
post #25 of 36 Old 08-04-2008, 10:02 AM
iMTB
2005 TJ Wrangler 

That's a nice feature, but I don't lock my doors. I don't keep anything in there to steal anyways.

06 KJ 4x4 65th Anniversary-
06 Wrangler 2.4l (sold)
post #26 of 36 Old 08-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Bryan H

Everyone is going to have an opinion on this (just see above). My choice was to install power windows and locks on my '01 TJ. Like some of the above examples, I also added an actuator to the tailgate. Since I was adding contact connectors to power the tailgate actuator, I went ahead and wired in the dome light to operate when the tailgate is opened. Very easy and very convienent.

As far as taking the doors off, you can use the contact connectors (do a search, there have been some very clean installs), but I preferred to use plastic plugin connectors so everything would work when the doors are open. I just unplug the connectors before removing the doors.

Oh yeah, if you want one more thing to make fun of me about.......I also have heated seats!

2001 TJ
4.0L with 3sp Auto, OME HD "Ultimate" Kit, 33" Kumhos on Pro Comp 1069's, Bestop Tire Carrier, Nate's 4x4 Rear Bumper, Stubby Front Bumper, Power Windows and Locks, Power Tailgate Lock and Dome Light Switch, Seat Heaters
post #27 of 36 Old 08-04-2008, 01:15 PM
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

did you do a writeup? id like to see pictures of all your stuff

My builds:
and

or follow us on
post #28 of 36 Old 08-04-2008, 03:04 PM
HipCheck_1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenkebach View Post
I put electric locks in my 2005 - they work great! I added a "quick disconnect" feature so I can take the doors off. Made from electric guitar cord (1/4" male/female jack). Works perfectly.

I don't really care for electric locks on my Jeep but that is a nice install and good use of non standard parts.

As far as the lock the doors, don't lock the doors debate I have read quite a few posts where people that did not lock their doors still had their top cut. Sometimes the thief doesn't even take the time to tug on the handle just cut and grab.

When I lived in an Apartment complex with little kids around I would lock my doors so they didn't climb into my Jeep and take it out of gear.

05 Jeep Wrangler 2.4l 4 cylinder
3" SL, 2" BL, 33 Eng belly up, 33x12.5 Pro comp MT
Low Ouput 4-cyl Jeep club member #151
post #29 of 36 Old 08-05-2008, 01:45 AM
CanadianCon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

actually all i mentioned was save yourself a top, so really i didnt say anything about a hard top. but does it really matter?? whats the point in locking your doors with a soft top on?? its almost as bad as locking your doors with no top on at all....

03 Rubicon
post #30 of 36 Old 08-05-2008, 07:43 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
actually all i mentioned was save yourself a top, so really i didnt say anything about a hard top. but does it really matter?? whats the point in locking your doors with a soft top on?? its almost as bad as locking your doors with no top on at all....
It was already mentioned, but I'll say it again in case you missed it.

It prevents the punk kids from rumiging through your Jeep. Not the hardened criminal who breaks a window or slashes a top, but the ones who randomly check car doors to see if they are open.

Your are entitled to your opinion on whether or not you lock your doors, but it doesn't really help the OP much in regards to the question that was asked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in