Possible Tranny Problems...please help!!! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-17-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
AFWxJeepGuy
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Possible Tranny Problems...please help!!!

Hi all...it's been a while!

I have an 06 TJ that has been having some transmission issues and I'd like to hear some expert advice before I do anything.

1st...I am a novice at mechanical stuff, but not afraid to follow instructions or a Youtube DIY video.

Ok, so about a year ago I noticed some slipping when I was accelerating onto the highway. It happened 2-3 times in a couple months. Then one time it happened, the check engine light came on, started flashing and I had trouble getting it moving. Took it to the dealership and they said that the computer was bad. They wanted to charge me like $3600 to replace it. I did some research, bought one, changed it out for MUCH less. All the codes vanished and it ran fine for a while. Then one day on the highway, I felt it slip slightly as I sped up and the engine light came on again, didn't flash...and it drove fine except for the tiny 'slip'. I've been driving it for months and felt it slip 2-3 more times over a few months. I took it in again and the dealership says that the "Torque Converter" is bad and that the fluid is all black...and that could mean I might have to replace the tranny.

Here is the list of codes it's trowing atm....

Unrelated to transmission:
P0421
P0431

Tranny related:
P0700
u0168

So what should I do? Is the torque converter something I could do myself...or let it to the pros? The slipping is very sporadic...It might happen 1 out of 50 times I "floor it" merging onto the highway. If that is the case...is the torque converter even the issue? I've seen posts that say if it was bad, I wouldn't be able to drive it period.

Could changing the black fluid help? I've read up on how to change it using a bucket method....is that worth a shot?

Thanks in advance!!

2006 Wrangler X, 4.0L, 2.25" BB, 1.25" JKS BL, 1" BMML.33" Pro Comp MT's on 15X8 Black RockCrawler wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-17-2019, 12:11 PM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Yes flushing the fluid would be a good start.... Especially if it's black. Probably overdue

Get out and explore.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-17-2019, 12:56 PM
jtec
2014 JK Wrangler 

I agree you want to change fluid and filter. 42RLE trans
be sure to use ATF4 not universial or 1 type fits all just ATF4.

p0421 and p0431 are cat issues - need attention but trans first.

You show a p0700 code this code often indicates transmission codes. Suggest a second read of codes.
Check the trans cooling lines - there is often a bypass valve that sticks and fluid will bypass cooler. see attachment - not sure if 06 used them

U0168 (4.0L L6 VIN S Auto) NO SKIM BUS MESSAGE this is out of left field, any starting issues?

There is no modifications add ons especially electrical?

A SWAG I suspect there are more codes. Maybe try a free scan at auto parts stores...
Attached Images

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-17-2019, 06:26 PM
pagrey
2004 LJ Wrangler 

If you took your Jeep to a dealer and they told you the color of the fluid was wrong never go back to that dealer. The factory service manual specifically says the color of the transmission fluid is never to be used to judge it's condition.

You need to find the additional codes, as jtec says P0700 means there are additional transmission specific codes that a cheap reader wont tell you. An autoparts store probably wont be able to read Chrysler trans codes. You need a good transmission shop or another dealer.

You do not need to worry about changing the transmission fluid, it wont fix anything just like changing your oil wont fix a spun engine bearing.

Find the transmission codes and go from there. A good shop can tell you the transmission codes and tell you the condition of the 42RLE, it keeps track of its own wear internally. You probably can't just swap the torque converter to fix this and the codes you were given certainly don't suggest that's a smart thing to do anyway.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-18-2019, 02:27 AM
AjRagno

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I don't know the history of your Jeep. Generally transmission fluid will only turn black if it is very old, if it has experienced a severe overheat event, or if the transmission has failed internally (clutches). If you have serviced the transmission regularly (60,000 mile normal service/30,000 mile severe service), the fluid should not be black and the color would indicate an internal failure. If however you have not kept up on fluid and filter changes, this may be the reason for the slipping.

Considering that the slipping is intermittent and that a new PCM did not resolve this issue, the fluid and/or filter may be causing the problem. There could also be a short in the wiring harness that occurs as the engine and transmission mounts flex.

I would absolutely change the fluid and filter and also add a drain plug to the pan so that, going forward, you can more easily replace the fluid. Use only ATF+4 fluid. Dropping the pan and changing the filter will replace about 5.5 qts. Rather that disconnecting the lines at the radiator, my method of maintenance is to drain the pan, add 5.5 quarts and run the engine for 45 seconds then drain the pan and refill again. I'm doing fine with this method at 240,000 miles on my original 42RLE.

The wiring for the transmission comes from the PCM at C4 (Black/Green). The wires then run to the passenger side of the head, down the block, back over the Crankshaft Position Sensor on the bell housing and then to the transmission and the individual sensors. Check the wiring harness loom for chaffing. If any is found, open it up and carefully inspect the individual wires.

U0168 is a loss of communication with the SKIM Module. If your Jeep still runs, this too is an indication of an issue with the wiring harness.

P0421 and P0431 are most often from failed cats at the exhaust manifold. Unfortunately, it's not uncommon that the cats fail by 100,000 miles on our '05-'06 TJs.

P0700 is a general fault code. There will certainly be specific fault codes as well but they require an advanced scanner to read and may not lead to a definitive diagnosis. I also think that any transmission shop that sees your ATF is black will recommend a rebuild without considering any other factors.

Also: Check your ground on the passenger side of the engine block.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in