possible coolant problem(pics) - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-05-2009, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
IBreakStuff

2002 TJ Wrangler 

possible coolant problem(pics)

I just bought a 2002 wrangler X(93,000 miles) a couple weeks ago from a chevrolet dealership about an hour away. i checked the jeep over good and everything seemed clean and fresh fluids.

Then i ran across an antifreeze thread(and this is when i started to stress myself out). i seen my 02 jeep took special antifreeze,then im thinking how clean my antifreeze looked and remembering i got it from a chevrrolet dealer that would mean they had "dex-cool" on stock, which i heard and read all the horror stories about that stuff.

So after some searching trying to figured out what i got in my jeep(the dealership wasnt any help) im still stumped.

Im unsure what i should do with my antifreeze, flush it and hope new jeep antifreeze dont gel when mixed with the old stuff? leave it in and if its dex-cool wait till it eats my motor away? like i said earlier i stress myself out with "whats gonna happen to my jeep next" scenarios.

Heres some pictures of what the antifreeze looks like,i dont know what color the jeep anti freeze is for sure(i heard red, then orangish red etc). so im looking for some opinions on what route i should take with this issue, or if im just over reacting.

Thanks
Eric

02 Wrangler X(His)
07 Wrangler X(Hers)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-05-2009, 01:36 PM
chicagoanalog
JK Wrangler 

looks like dex cool to me. I hate that f*cking stuff..... I'm convinced this is what clogged my heater core.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-05-2009, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
IBreakStuff

2002 TJ Wrangler 

so when i do a flush do i have to get 100% of this stuff out or just the majority and then use the correct antifreeze from jeep without any adverse effects happening when mixing with a little of the dex cool?

From what i been reading it seems dex cool and then green antifreeze dont mix well at all but i havent found anything out about dex cool and HOAT(other than it seem they are bothethilen glycol based coolant).

02 Wrangler X(His)
07 Wrangler X(Hers)

post #4 of 11 Old 01-05-2009, 03:17 PM
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Use this only!
COOLANT SELECTION AND ADDITIVES
The use of aluminum cylinder blocks, cylinder
heads and water pumps requires special corrosion
protection. Only Mopar
t Antifreeze/Coolant, 5
Year/100,000 Mile Formula (glycol base coolant with
corrosion inhibitors called HOAT, for Hybrid Organic
Additive Technology) is recommended. This coolant
offers the best engine cooling without corrosion when
mixed with 50% distilled water to obtain to obtain a
freeze point of -37C (-35F). If it loses color or
becomes contaminated, drain, flush, and replace with

fresh properly mixed coolant solution.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-05-2009, 03:20 PM
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That doesn't look like dexcool to me...it probably the proper Chrysler coolant from the looks of it.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-05-2009, 03:23 PM
472cid

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBreakStuff View Post

Thanks
Eric
Click free 4 u

1997 Jeep Wrangler 5.0 ho gt40p motor w/ e303 cam, ax15 trans. 241j rock trac transfer case from 05 rubicon. 05 front rubicon 44 with yukon chromoly shafts and rear rubicon dana 44 and rubicon rims with 33x11.50x16 mtrs
post #7 of 11 Old 01-05-2009, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
IBreakStuff

2002 TJ Wrangler 

ok thanks guys. i might go to the dealership and pick up a couple gallons of the correct coolant and see what they have to say. if this is dex cool i just want it out of there before it starts eating away or clogging up parts.

02 Wrangler X(His)
07 Wrangler X(Hers)
post #8 of 11 Old 01-05-2009, 05:01 PM
flatlander757

2003 TJ Wrangler 

If it was a chevy dealer then more than likely it wasn't Chrysler 5 year coolant.

I would flush it out and just put good old green stuff in there. Maybe even fill it with just pure water the first time, let it run for a very short while, then drain and refill with the proper 50/50 mix.

GM Dex-cool's main ingredient is edit: ethylene glycol with OAT

Normal green coolant is ethylene glycol

Chrysler's 5 year(orange) coolant is ethylene glycol as well but with HOAT(hybrid), despite looking the same as Dex-cool. These two should NOT be mixed!

Mix the two types together and you get jelly in your block and radiator.

Leave Dex-cool in your system alone long enough and it will eat your seals and gaskets as it breaks down due to being exposed to air(via the overflow bottle/tube).

It's perfectly fine in vehicles with fully sealed cooling systems(ie: the overflow bottle is under pressure when the engine is running and up to temp).

SOLDThe lumbering steel-laden pig - 2003 TJ - 40" LTBs - D60/D70HD - 5.86s - Detroit lockers - 110" wheelbase

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.

Last edited by flatlander757; 01-05-2009 at 09:10 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander757 View Post
GM Dex-cool's main ingredient is propylene glycol
NOT TRUE........Dexcool is ethylene glycol...with HOAT
post #10 of 11 Old 01-05-2009, 08:46 PM
flatlander757

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonya View Post
NOT TRUE........Dexcool is ethylene glycol...with HOAT
I was wrong, it appears you are semi-correct, I did a bit of searching and came up with this handy chart:

http://www.eetcorp.com/antifreeze/Coolants_matrix.pdf

Dex-cool is OAT, Chrysler 5-year coolant is HOAT(hybrid).

SOLDThe lumbering steel-laden pig - 2003 TJ - 40" LTBs - D60/D70HD - 5.86s - Detroit lockers - 110" wheelbase

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.

Last edited by flatlander757; 01-05-2009 at 09:10 PM.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-05-2009, 10:20 PM
Nonya
Web Wheeler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah hoat and oat......my memory isn't that good anymore...i just remember all the damage i seen dexcool do. I use propylene glycol is all my vehicles,it costs more but I have EXCELLENT results. It never turns acid like ethylene glycol does.
My experience with dexcool is not a good one,it does BIG damage in any system that has a open coolant recovery bottle.

Unfortuneatly i found even if you flush Dexcool out completely once it has damaged the aluminum and changed it chemically you got permanent troubles.I've tried flushing with distilled water and completely removing all traces of the dexcool but once the metal surfaces have turned acid LOOK OUT! Its ashame GM didn't do something right away...noway they couldn't have known about the problems.
I've seen it so many times its just stupid.I've seen it eat HOLES through ANYTHING that it touches...even plastic!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in