Poison Spyder Full Cage... Just about done! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 Old 03-16-2005, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
ONE JEEPBRO

Poison Spyder Full Cage... Just about done!

Well, I promised a few that I would post up regarding the installation of my Poison Spyder Full Cage. First off, for those who are considering this, IT IS quite a project to undertake, and if it's your daily driver, make sure you set aside the whole weekend for installation. If your lucky enough to have a good friend that happens to be a confident welder, it would be good of you to give that friend a call for this project (and offer up a case of his / her favorite beer ). So, with that said, I'll take you on an abreviated journey of my installation. I am currently still getting mine all together because I am considering powder coating the cage, but I'll give you what I have so far....

The UPS guy was pissed.... This is just 2 parts of a 4 part shipment, but what a great day!

If you haven't taken apart your jeep yet, this is what your cage looks like with the stupid foam stuff and zip off padding.

Lift up your carpet, and what will you find? A whole bunch of this stuff covering up the Torx bolts and cage support (behind drivers and passenger seat.) This stuff is close to the consistancy of Line-X.

I first started out with a screw driver and small hammer to remove a lot of this stuff. What a PAIN in the butt this stuff was to remove. I ended up using a power drill with a wire brush attachment to remove the "Stuff."

This is what my tub looked like when I finally broke the bolts free and removed the "Stuff." It took me FOREVER to break both the passenger and drivers side free. If this pic looks a bit burnt, well, it is. I had to break out the ol torch to help break free the bolts. It seems as though some of the "Stuff" got into the threads of the bolts. NOTE: DO NOT heat the top of the bolts like I DID at first. I guess it makes the head of the Torx softer and susceptible to breakage or warpage. Heat from the bottom of the tub. The nuts are welded to the bottom of the tub and easy to locate.

Well, with all of that wire brushing, the paint took a beating. So, I cleaned it all up real well and threw down a coat of anti rust grey!

Quick note, don't use your Jeep as a make shift "tool box" as I did... It took a bit longer to move everything around.

There is one of these on both sides of your tub. They are the supports that help hold your old roll cage in place. These have to be cut off. I used a Dremel to take care of these guys. Just the Triangle portion has to be removed.

Last edited by 1jeepbro; 03-17-2005 at 06:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 03-16-2005, 10:18 PM
JSBlu974X4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

can you run your softop with the full cage/ door surrounds?

2005 Unlimited Rubicon Hard N Soft Tops, Clayton Long Arm on RE Coils, Warn Bumper/Tire Carrier, Warn Winch N Bumper, Currie Steering, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Front Trac Bar, Bilsteins, CO2 System..Yada Yada Yada
post #3 of 68 Old 03-16-2005, 10:21 PM
wipedawg

i think the website says it works. from what i can remember at least

post #4 of 68 Old 03-16-2005, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
ONE JEEPBRO

With daylight on the way out, I hopped into the tub of my TJ and drove home for the night (just around the block folks).

As you can see from the pic (sorry about the finger), the provided bolts for the dash support (2 supports that run parallel with the dash) did not fit in the hole. From what I've heard from others, this is not an uncommon thing.

So we had to make them a bit wider. This did take a while, but probably would go faster with the proper tools .

The supports are bolted to the dash with existing Torx bolts that hold the dash in place. Just remove the bolts and put them right back in with the support in place.

Here is a bottom shot of my tub with the bottom support bolt in place. You have to remove the drain plugs on both the driver and passenger side for the bolt to be installed. The bolt went in with ease.

Here is a top shot of the bolt inside the tub, through the support.

A total shot.....
post #5 of 68 Old 03-16-2005, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
ONE JEEPBRO

Yes you can run your soft top with the cage.... Just hold on I'm still writing it up!
post #6 of 68 Old 03-16-2005, 10:30 PM
2k3r1

keep us posted with more pics

Also what did you pay for the cage if you dont mind me asking

2000 TJ Sport, 4.0L, 5-spd, RE 3.5" with all 8 adj arms and adj trackbars with 35"s, D30 w/ Lockright, 8.8 rear axle, sye and CV driveshaft, M.O.R.E. 1" BL and MML, IPF headlights w/ H4 FATBOY bulbs, PSC power steering skid, rock-it man rockers, uniden pro 520xl WITH PA :)
Future mods: 4.88s and ARBs?, belly up, dif guards, Gastank Skid.
post #7 of 68 Old 03-16-2005, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
ONE JEEPBRO

OK, now that the front supports are in place, time to install the center mounting bracket (behind the drivers and passenger seat) in the tub. Pretty basic.

Here is that support bracket bolted up. Looks a lot cleaner than when I first began huh?

Now for the rear support brackets. Again, pretty basic to install. And for those that are wondering, no there was no "Stuff" when I had to remove the old cage, so it was really just an unbolt and bolt up for this part.

Now for the windshield frame supports. Again, an easy unbolt to bolt back on procedure.

Bolted up....

Now for the fun part... The welding. This took A LONG TIME! Expect about 6+ hours of measuring, tacking and welding to get it all put together. Again, call up that welding buddy! Make sure you take the proper percautions to protect your Jeep from welding sparks and slag. Durring my welding experience, I smelt something burning, and noticed a flame shooting up about 6 inches near my windshield. Luckily, it was just the fire retardant blanket that was on fire. Guess it was hot!

Tack weld everything in place first (rear support shown). If you weld it in the tub, you MAY run into some problems when you have to take it out and paint it. Also, it saves the interior of your JEEP!

The second main support bar tacked in place!

Last edited by 1jeepbro; 03-16-2005 at 11:43 PM.
post #8 of 68 Old 03-16-2005, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
ONE JEEPBRO

We used a support bar to hold everything in place as we went along. Everything went together pretty smoothly for the most part because all of the parts have been coped. Here I would like to mention, the more bodies the better. It's nice having a few hands (and brains for that matter) when it came to putting everthing in place. There are no dimensions on the PSC instructions, so you have to mock everything up ahead of time.

After some time, you can see the beginings of a cage. Here is the front part of the cage all mocked up and tacked in place. Notice the daylight is starting to burn?

Another angle....

Here you can see that the cage is coming together and the rear of the cage has formed. Goodbye daylight!

With the cage all tack welded in place, it was time to remove the cage from the tub. This works well with at least 3 people. I tilted my windshield down to make the removal of the cage a bit easier, but I don't believe it is necessary. This thing is awkward to move around, so make sure you don't put any poser scratches on your Jeep.

With the cage removed, it's now time to WELD AWAY! With an experienced welder, this shouldn't take more than a couple hours TOPS.

Here is a pic of one of the 30 or so welds needed to complete the welding project.

I went with PSC's custom Spyder gussets for extra support. These things needed to be grinded a bit to fit the angle of the cage. The Gussets are obviously 90 degree pieces, but the area where they were installed was not.

Well here is a pic of the cage all welded up and installed. It's not the best of pictures, because it was about 12:30 AM when all was said and done. Remember to take MANY measurements before you weld your cage outside the tub. If you don't, you may have trouble getting your cage back into your Jeep.

THis is it for now.... I will revive this thread and post final pic's when I decide on the paint (or powder coating) and finish drilling in the supports for the seatbelts.

STAY TUNED
post #9 of 68 Old 03-16-2005, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
ONE JEEPBRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k3r1
keep us posted with more pics

Also what did you pay for the cage if you dont mind me asking
I had some connections and got a deal on the cage. I promised I wouldn't give up the price, sorry! I will definately keep you all posted as I approach the final stretch

Last edited by 1jeepbro; 03-16-2005 at 11:22 PM. Reason: fixeroo
post #10 of 68 Old 03-17-2005, 04:38 AM
DogHouse

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Good Job on the cage! And a great write-up. I just put in the trail cage and it's pretty stout! I especially like the shot without the seat!
post #11 of 68 Old 03-17-2005, 09:10 AM
IGotADisneyJeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Here is My Poison Spyder cage with added bars & gussets...
I'm gonna take off my cage again & add more support bars & more gussets.
I'll post pics sometime after April. Keep a Look Out!
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144420
post #12 of 68 Old 03-17-2005, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
ONE JEEPBRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotADisneyJeep
Here is My Poison Spyder cage with added bars & gussets...
I'm gonna take off my cage again & add more support bars & more gussets.
I'll post pics sometime after April. Keep a Look Out!
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144420
Did you powder coat yours? Looks good. Thanks for the complements.
post #13 of 68 Old 03-17-2005, 03:50 PM
BIGNUTT

You'll like the cage. And yeap a soft top will fit fine.

post #14 of 68 Old 03-17-2005, 05:16 PM
Laila

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Nice write up and nice pics. That cage looks awesome. I want one very badly.

99 TJ 4Banger
RE 3.5 SuperFlex
33in BFG Mud Terrains

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
member # 3
post #15 of 68 Old 03-17-2005, 05:20 PM
1BLKJP

Cage looks good boss. I have a friend that runs with that cage and be careful jumping in and out of your rig. Those down posts can cut the hell out of your leg.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in