Plowing and Bumpers - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 09-10-2014, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Mudstick
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Plowing and Bumpers

Ok, I already know that there is a lot of argument going on with weather or not you should plow with a wrangler or not. I only plan to do my own driveway.

My jeep is a 2001 Wrangler Sport with the 4.0L in it. It has an automatic transmission in it as well.

I only have a few questions that I need answered.

1: What size plow to use?

2: Does anyone have any recommendations for a dirt cheap lightweight plow good enough to do a small driveway?

3: I am getting a JCR bumper that extends out a bit. (http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/SWBF/SWBFF-TP.html) Would a plow fit with this bumper? Would I have to do any modifications to make it fit?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-10-2014, 08:05 PM
zamboni_driver
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I plow with my TJ. I have an older Western 6.5 foot plow. That is the minimum size you want, it would be nice to have a 7 foot blade.

Every mount is different, that bumper would probably work with most blades, hard to tell unless you know what plow you are using.

The dirt cheap plows are still at least a grand and do not have hydraulics, they use electric winches to raise and lower with no power angle. Try looking for a used plow and install it yourself. Spring is the best time to look, though.
post #3 of 18 Old 09-11-2014, 07:15 AM
XTJake

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudstick View Post
Ok, I already know that there is a lot of argument going on with weather or not you should plow with a wrangler or not. I only plan to do my own driveway.

My jeep is a 2001 Wrangler Sport with the 4.0L in it. It has an automatic transmission in it as well.

I only have a few questions that I need answered.

1: What size plow to use?

2: Does anyone have any recommendations for a dirt cheap lightweight plow good enough to do a small driveway?

3: I am getting a JCR bumper that extends out a bit. (http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/SWBF/SWBFF-TP.html) Would a plow fit with this bumper? Would I have to do any modifications to make it fit?

Thanks!
I push snow off a very small "U" shaped driveway and a 2-car-wide 3-car-deep driveway with my TJ. I have a Snoway plow. It has full hydraulics, up and down plus tilt, and it even has a power down option that puts more weight on the blade which is nice when the snow is packed.

It's a composite skin on a steel frame that keeps the weight down. The way mine mounts doesn't give me many options for front bumpers which is why I'm still running a stock one.

The blade is 6.5"? It just as wide as my tire tracks when straight but when I tilt it all way over it's too short. Not a big deal but it would be nice to have it a little longer.

We found ours for $800 in good working condition. I did put new Hydro lines on it as some were starting show dry rot and I painted everything, but it paid for itself last year alone here in SEPA. Let me know if you have any questions!

-Ryan

Jake R. |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Off-Road Outfitters

Toll Free: 800-988-4605 | Mon-Fri 10AM-6PM EST
Free Shipping on Orders Over $75!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PM me for our JeepForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!

post #4 of 18 Old 09-11-2014, 09:10 AM
festerw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Plow and cheap are not words that go together, used setups can be hard to find reasonably priced and the new 'cheap' plows I've seen wouldn't hold up to abuse. IMO 7.5' would be a great size and a Snoway as XTRyan mentioned would be great. Strictly for home use I would give the Meyer Home Plow or a rear plow setup like a Snowman or Daniels a hard look. Reason being they can be transferred from vehicle to vehicle without specific mounting cartons.

If you buy used make sure it includes everything even if it won't fit your Jeep, plow parts are expensive and a 'good' deal on a used plow can triple in price if you have to buy new mounts and wiring.

Hers - 2011 Dodge Durango Crew
Mine - 2004 Toyota Tundra DC SR5
post #5 of 18 Old 09-11-2014, 10:20 AM
JStMarie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've plowed with my jeep for a few years; wranglers are great for plowing and don't let anyone tell you different. In fact Willy's jeeps were used extensively for plowing for years and were preferred by a lot of the old timers responsible for plowing municipal parking lots and businesses.

I use a Fisher Homesteader plow,with 6' 8" blade. It is lightweight, easy to put the blade on and off, and is fully featured (left and right, up and down hydraulic movement). The hydraulics are blade side, so they come off the vehicle when the plow blade is off. I like this as the only added weight when not plowing is a small plow frame (no bigger than a tow hitch) that I leave on year round (because it's so small).

They are not cheap, but are reasonable when compared against other fully functional plows.

Your new bumper will not cause any clearance issues with the plow.

Good luck.

JSt.Marie
'06 Jeep Wrangler, 65th Edition, stock.
'98 Jeep Wrangler, stock.
post #6 of 18 Old 09-11-2014, 12:42 PM
zamboni_driver
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by festerw View Post

If you buy used make sure it includes everything even if it won't fit your Jeep, plow parts are expensive and a 'good' deal on a used plow can triple in price if you have to buy new mounts and wiring.
What he said on mounts.. Some of the older plow mounts have been discontinued by the vendors for their older plows. Example, Western does not make the unimount vehicle side brackets any more for the TJ. I was lucky enough to score brackets and wiring and the plow when I purchased used for my TJ.
post #7 of 18 Old 09-11-2014, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Mudstick
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have a Fisher SD Series 7' 6" plow. It weighs a little below 500lbs. Do you think I would have any issues with that one? It is a steal plow. Not a plastic.
post #8 of 18 Old 09-11-2014, 03:54 PM
festerw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Should be fine, ballast will help and if the front sags too much some Airlift bags.

Hers - 2011 Dodge Durango Crew
Mine - 2004 Toyota Tundra DC SR5
post #9 of 18 Old 09-13-2014, 07:47 AM
idiot magnet

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Check out the snowsport if you are just doing your driveway. Easy to use, no wires and simple to get on and off. Not meant to do commercial work. Had our worst winter last year and it made a huge difference. I also plowed my elderly neighbors driveways.

A rebuilt '05 Unlimited w/ 6 spd, 4.0, 3" BDS springs, front locker, warn front bumper, PS corners, rock sliders and the list goes on and on.
Former Jeeps: 79 CJ7, 81 CJ7 Renegade, 85 CJ7 and a 95 YJ.
Project car: Big Block 4spd 69 mach 1 (it's back on the rotisserie for the final time).
Indyorv.com
post #10 of 18 Old 09-15-2014, 07:27 AM
JStMarie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have a Fisher SD Series 7' 6" plow. It weighs a little below 500lbs. Do you think I would have any issues with that one? It is a steal plow. Not a plastic.
If your suspension is solid and you aren't running it commercially then it should be fine structurally. You will need ballast to offset the heavy plow blade and to give you a bit more momentum to push deeper snow. However, that is a long blade and as such you will be pushing a lot of snow at once. You may find it difficult, with the reduced weight of the wrangler, to push that wide a path of snow in heavier storms.

With my 6'8" blade, for some of the deeper storms, I've got to finesse it quite a bit by skimming off only so much at a time then coming back through a second time to finish. With the longer blade I suspect you will would need to finesse things a bit more.

JSt.Marie
post #11 of 18 Old 09-15-2014, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Mudstick
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I took a look at the snowsport plows. They had a nice 6' plow for around $700 but it was for an ATV. I am looking into the Westen plows now. They have a few good ones but I haven't found any prices yet.
post #12 of 18 Old 09-15-2014, 08:34 AM
zamboni_driver
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudstick View Post
I took a look at the snowsport plows. They had a nice 6' plow for around $700 but it was for an ATV. I am looking into the Westen plows now. They have a few good ones but I haven't found any prices yet.

Not the best prices but an example:

http://www.centralparts.com/equipmen...ite-snowplows/
post #13 of 18 Old 09-15-2014, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Mudstick
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I would be trying to fine one used. New ones are way to high out of my price range.

I did some across an 6' ATV plow made by Snowsport. It looks like it uses the same mounts as a regular plow. If that is true then that one would be perfect but the only thing that is worrying me is that it stated that its "self engaging" and it has no electrical components (no remote, no hydraulics) What does it mean by "self engaging"? Would that kind of plow work on a TJ and furthermore with my JCR front bumper?

Here is the plow I am talking about: http://www.agricover.com/snowsport/atv/
post #14 of 18 Old 09-16-2014, 07:37 AM
JStMarie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What does it mean by "self engaging"?
It means you have to get out of the jeep to raise and lower it by hand. I toyed with going this route and am so glad I didn't.

This is true for many "home use" plows, especially those that hook to your hitch receiver. I've seen some folks put a hitch receiver on their front bumper and use these plows, and this is certainly an option, but again most don't angle and raising and lowering is done by hand. I'm from New England, and so that simply isn't feasible, at least not in my mind.

The best of all worlds is a used Homesteader or equivalent that gets the full functionality of a plow without the excessive weight and price. I got lucky buying mine for $1100. These types of deals are there, but are hard to come by.

The Fisher SD Series plow is a very nice plow. If you are concerned about running it due to weight or fitment, why not sell it and use the money to buy a lightweight setup?

JSt.Marie
post #15 of 18 Old 09-16-2014, 09:02 AM
zamboni_driver
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Fishers web page shows that the 7'6" SD plow is available for the Wrangler. The SD is around the same weight as my Western.
I would get a mount for the SD and use the plow you have.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in