Piston part broke through bottom of engine, what are my options? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 11-09-2015, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
MikeTheVike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Piston part broke through bottom of engine, what are my options?

Might have driven my jeep for the last time yesterday I drove it during the day and heard a little rattling, which is not abnormal for the Jeep, but it was a little louder than normal. Last night I'm driving and I get off the highway and it starts making a lot of noise and vibrating so I pulled off into a shopping center parking lot and it died. Took a look under the Jeep and saw the part that busted through the bottom of engine block. I'm trying to figure out my options right now. I would love to get the Jeep fixed and keep it, but I don't think I can afford to fix this major issue. I see these as my options...

- take my Jeep to shop and see what they say about repairs/parts needed. I don't really know of any good shops as I never really have any major problems with Jeep and I fix minor stuff myself. They will probably charge me to take it apart just to tell me it needs an new block/rebuild, etc. Pay to get it fixed(I'm guessing $$$$$)

- Attempt to sell the Jeep as-is for what it's worth minus an estimate on costs for repairs. I feel like I will never get its worth out of this option

Anyone have any advice, estimates on costs, etc? I've had this jeep for about 13 years so obviously this is painful.

Also, the Jeep has had very little engine problems, any idea on why this could have happened? Such a major malfuction.

Mike
2002 TJ 4.0

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 11-09-2015, 09:16 AM
RDaniel2405

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Stroker kit >> http://www.titanengines.com/jeep-str...-0-to-4-6-4-7/

OEF Veteran & owner of a 2006 TJ

Instagram @theorangejeep
Pirate 4x4 @theorangejeep
post #3 of 27 Old 11-09-2015, 09:17 AM
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Holy hell it looks like that stomach scene in alien

You won't get any money for it parting it out or selling as is. How mechanically inclined are you? Any friends that can wrench? I'd find a junkyard 4.0 and swap it. Where you paying attention to oil pressure gauge when it was doing the light rattling? Did you happen to drive through any deep puddles at speed lately?

06 LJ Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 Old 11-09-2015, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
MikeTheVike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellin View Post
Holy hell it looks like that stomach scene in alien

You won't get any money for it parting it out or selling as is. How mechanically inclined are you? Any friends that can wrench? I'd find a junkyard 4.0 and swap it. Where you paying attention to oil pressure gauge when it was doing the light rattling? Did you happen to drive through any deep puddles at speed lately?

I don't have enough experience to do this job, and to be honest I just don't have the time. I have a kid coming in January and between that and new house repairs, I have no time. Oil pressure gauge never caught my eye, the "Check gauges" light never came on to warn me. I do have friends that are good at wrenching, but I would not have time to help them. No deep puddles, haven't off-roaded in a while.
post #5 of 27 Old 11-09-2015, 09:45 AM
06JeepXKHEMI

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
It sounds like you dont want to tackle this job so sell it for whatever you can get... Swapping another 4.0 is easier than you think and if you have friends that are inclined mechanically, Id ask for their help first and lay out your situation.

05 LJRubi Currie 4" Springs, Savvy Fox shocks, MC trackbars, MC CA's single adj lower double uppers, 37x13.50 Cooper STT Pros on 17x9 ATX Ravine, MC Overlines front, Genright rear, Revolution 5.38s, Carolina Driveline driveshafts, MCAI
post #6 of 27 Old 11-09-2015, 09:51 AM
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheVike View Post
I don't have enough experience to do this job, and to be honest I just don't have the time. I have a kid coming in January and between that and new house repairs, I have no time. Oil pressure gauge never caught my eye, the "Check gauges" light never came on to warn me. I do have friends that are good at wrenching, but I would not have time to help them. No deep puddles, haven't off-roaded in a while.
I hear you on the time aspect especially with a kid around the corner. A engine swap sounds overwhelming but can be done in a weekends time for $1,000-1,800 depending on price of block. Maybe north of the 3k range to have it done by a shop

Very strange this happened to your engine, a few of the late model TJ's had problems oil pump drive but that was a non-issue for 02's. No big puddles rules out hydrolocking

06 LJ Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 27 Old 11-09-2015, 10:01 AM
tucsonzj

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yea going to have to say it's pretty odd if no low oil pressure or hydro lock...but sadly engines are like anything else and can fail.

Honestly you'll get minimal money for it with a full rebuild/motor swap required. As stated a swap on this could be done relatively quick and isn't as overwhelming as many think considering the simplicity and access we have in the engine bay. Not an easy task, but the cheapest for sure. I know working on newer vehicles most companies have given up on rebuilding engines and rather do everything throw away (replace with new or rebuilt, not pull, rebuild, reinstall) for motors and trannys. But it will be semi- time consuming as stated.

You'll be a few thousand for a shop to do it, assuming you can find a shop that will let you find the motor, might even want to consider seeing what a shop would charge to do a stroker kit as you'll be replacing basically everything anyways. Otherwise you''l have to cut bait, sell it as is and look for something new. Your worth minus cost of fix isn't what you can sell the vehicle for sadly.

His:00 TJ "Fiona" stuff/stuff/stuff
95 ZJ 3.5" w/242 swap-Sold
Hers: 15 JK Sahara-3" Teraflex
post #8 of 27 Old 11-09-2015, 10:25 AM
12bravo8
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'd rather give money to wrenching friends than a shop. A shop might have a better warranty, but at a higher price and possibly longer wait. Idk, just my thoughts on it.
post #9 of 27 Old 11-09-2015, 12:14 PM
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Find a complete junkyard engine.
Swap it out.

glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
post #10 of 27 Old 11-09-2015, 12:42 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Basically two choices:

Sell it as is (A guy at work did that, unlike most cars of that age which are valueless with a blown engine, he had no trouble selling it even with a blown engine--then he got a new JK)

Have a reman put in. It will cost a few thousand but is cheaper than getting another high mileage car, and at least you'll have a virtually new engine. Thats what I did with my YJ some years ago. It blew the rear seal and it broke up so that the engine would need to have the crank removed to clean it up. I figured that it made no sense to put the old engine back in, so I went for the upgrade.Worked out well for me.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #11 of 27 Old 11-09-2015, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
MikeTheVike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the opinions everyone! I don't have the time or money to swap out the engine myself so I'm going to look into selling it as-is and see where that gets me. Even if I could get the engine replaced, I wonder if it would be worth the hassle. I'm juggling so many things in the rest of my life, this is just another thing to stress me out. What is a good somewhat-accurate way to find a price for a working version of my Jeep? Blue Book? TruCar? Craigslist? I figure I can start there.
post #12 of 27 Old 11-09-2015, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
MikeTheVike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

BTW, I do have a backup car so I'm not out a vehicle or else things might be different. I just wasn't planning on getting rid of the Jeep, too many good times the past 10+ years.
post #13 of 27 Old 11-09-2015, 03:16 PM
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Thought about trading it in?

glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
post #14 of 27 Old 11-09-2015, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
MikeTheVike
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_jeep View Post
Thought about trading it in?
I would think a dealer would give me hardly anything for a vehicle with a broken engine, right?
post #15 of 27 Old 11-09-2015, 03:34 PM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

2020 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheVike View Post
Thanks for the opinions everyone! I don't have the time or money to swap out the engine myself so I'm going to look into selling it as-is and see where that gets me. Even if I could get the engine replaced, I wonder if it would be worth the hassle. I'm juggling so many things in the rest of my life, this is just another thing to stress me out. What is a good somewhat-accurate way to find a price for a working version of my Jeep? Blue Book? TruCar? Craigslist? I figure I can start there.
Auction price is the best indicator of what its worth.

TJs are still getting good money at Manheim.

I'm not sure which model you have, so I ran the recent transactions for all 3 of the different 6 cylinder models that were offered during 2002.

Name:  2002 TJ Manheim SAHARA.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  132.6 KB

Name:  2002 TJ Manheim SPORT.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  197.7 KB

Name:  2002 TJ Manheim X.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  148.8 KB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in