Pcm needs replacement? - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 06-24-2019, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
frenchy206

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Pcm needs replacement?

Hi all, it's been a while since I've been on. After the mobile app stopped working, I hadn't had a chance to get on.

So, here's the issue. 2003 Rubicon. I received code P0138. I cleared the code and it came back shortly after. I thought maybe adding spacers to the after cat o2's would eliminate any possibility of it being a cat efficiency issue, though I doubted it since I replaced the cats a couple years ago and only put maybe 5k on them. I cleared the code, but it came back. Last thing it could be was a bad sensor. So I replaced the sensor with an NTK, cleared the code, but it came back.

Not knowing what else it could be, I brought it into the dealer. They had a look and after a couple days came back saying that it's the pcm. I guess it makes sense since everything else was diagnosed. They said that the pcm is no longer available, however they can send mine in to get refurbished. The downside is that it takes 2 months.

First, does this seem accurate? Second, is there a better or faster way to get things done. Don't really wanna wait 2 months before I can drive it.

Thoughts?

03 TJ Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 06-24-2019, 01:15 PM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

lets regroup - you only have 1 code p0138* ?
I am unsure how we would reach a bad PCM based on that 1 unresolved issue. Is there more to this story? What is reference to bad Cat adding spacers explain.

I would drive to one of the auto part stores that do free scans - get a free scan copy down and post ALL codes. we will go fresh from there. I will check TSB's waiting for new scan results.

*P0138-1/2 O2 SENSOR SHORTED TO VOLTAGE

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 29 Old 06-24-2019, 01:55 PM
SkylinesSuck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Check the wiring. I have seen many "bad pcm" trouble shooting sessions traced to a short on that circuit, and it's frequently because of the wiring going to the O2 sensors.
jtec likes this.

'98 Sahara w/AX15 & 4.6L stroker, 2.5" OME lift, 32" BFG M/T's, 8.8 w/Detroit Trutracs & 4.10's F&R

post #4 of 29 Old 06-24-2019, 02:08 PM
finchmeister08

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've got a question about these. I don't have the issue, yet (knock on wood), but if/when I do, can't I just buy one from O'Reilly's. Pop the old one out and the new one in? Or is there more to it than that? I was looking at O'reilly's website and they're sub $500.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/l...wrangler?q=pcm
post #5 of 29 Old 06-24-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
frenchy206

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The only code I've pulled, with a code reader, is P0138, "O2 sensor circuit high voltage bank 1 sensor 2". This is the same code every time.

My reference to adding spacers to the o2's after the cats, were to eleminate any possibility that the code was due to an inefficient cat.

03 TJ Rubicon
post #6 of 29 Old 06-24-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
frenchy206

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I just picked it up from the dealer. "The o2 sensor heater control driver has failed". They said that they've seen this happen and it's definitely the pcm. They tested the wiring from the sensor to the pcm. So, I'm not sure what else it could be really. I asked them what would happen if after refurbishing my pcm, the problem wasn't resolved. They said that they'd pay for it.

03 TJ Rubicon
post #7 of 29 Old 06-24-2019, 03:38 PM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

I am skeptical but if they guarantee the repair case closed.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #8 of 29 Old 06-24-2019, 04:35 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

It may well be the PCM but here is something to question …from the dealer. "The o2 sensor heater control driver has failed"

P0138 O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 2) Your code.

P0038 02 Sensor Heater Control Circuit High (Bank 1 Sensor 2) The same sensor’s HEATER code.

I’m reading your code as the sensor’s monitoring circuit has high voltage. Not sensor heater related. They say the heater driver is bad. I’m not sure if the driver fails if the voltage would return high or low. It is a complicated (to me) circuit so they may be correct but high voltage can be caused by high resistance in the sensor return circuit. Are you sure that is the wire they checked?

With that said, if they will refund if wrong (I would get that in writing) then OK, I guess.

Also, presumably you do not have to give them your PCM unless or until their replacement works. I would want at least a couple days to drive around to be sure. Some “refurbishers” have a bad habit of getting yours then saying it can’t be repaired & you are left with no PCM. Do not let that happen to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylinesSuck View Post
Check the wiring. I have seen many "bad pcm" trouble shooting sessions traced to a short on that circuit, and it's frequently because of the wiring going to the O2 sensors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
I am skeptical but if they guarantee the repair case closed.
Newtons3 likes this.
post #9 of 29 Old 06-25-2019, 06:58 AM
Newtons3
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
Also, presumably you do not have to give them your PCM unless or until their replacement works. I would want at least a couple days to drive around to be sure. Some “refurbishers” have a bad habit of getting yours then saying it can’t be repaired & you are left with no PCM. Do not let that happen to you.
This seems to be quite common. Happened to me.
post #10 of 29 Old 08-03-2019, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
frenchy206

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just an update. I received the refurbished pcm today. After unboxing the unit, there was a piece of paper up top that said that I needed to program the Vin using a scan tool. If I didn't do this it could throw codes, etc.
I connected my harbor freight scan tool, but found nowhere to be able to do this.
My questions are
1. Is this necessary to do?
2. How do you do it? Maybe I need a different scan tool?

Thanks

03 TJ Rubicon
post #11 of 29 Old 08-03-2019, 07:57 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy206 View Post
Just an update. I received the refurbished pcm today. After unboxing the unit, there was a piece of paper up top that said that I needed to program the Vin using a scan tool. If I didn't do this it could throw codes, etc.
I connected my harbor freight scan tool, but found nowhere to be able to do this.
My questions are

Thanks
I don't think VIN has to be updated. Plenty of people put JY PCMs in and don't change the VIN.

Requires a lot more than a simple scanner to do. I think most go the dealer to have it done.
post #12 of 29 Old 08-04-2019, 03:29 AM
AjRagno

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy206 View Post
My questions are

Thanks
Programming requires a DRBIII scanner. Most of the suppliers ask for your VIN and current mileage so they can pre-program the PCM. Keep in mind also that if you have a sentry key (SKIS), this also requires PCM programming with a DRBIII. If you leave the SKIM (the module under the steering column) plugged in and start the engine with a new PCM hooked up, the engine will shut off after 2-3 seconds because the computer does not recognize the code stored in the module.

To get around going to a dealer, mobile locksmiths use a DRBIII scanner to program new keys. They may also be able to program the PCM. You/they can also get the 4-digit SKIM code that's stored in the SKIM from any Jeep dealer.
post #13 of 29 Old 08-05-2019, 07:23 AM
Newtons3
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

There are several tuners that can perform the reprogramming service. VIN must be programmed in. Mileage is only changed so that PCM and dash agree, but it's not necessary. Usually, when purchasing a PCM from a reputable vendor, they ask for the VIN and mileage and ship the PCM pre-programmed and with the latest updates. This, of course, does not apply to sources like Cardone, parts houses, etc.
post #14 of 29 Old 08-28-2019, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
frenchy206

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Wanted to give my results after a few weeks. I spoke to the dealer and they said all was programmed, so no need to do anything.

I've driven it a hundred miles or so and so far so good. Jeep runs great and no CEL. So looks like that was it.

Thanks again for everyone's ideas and input.

03 TJ Rubicon
post #15 of 29 Old 08-30-2019, 03:37 AM
SkylinesSuck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for following up!

'98 Sahara w/AX15 & 4.6L stroker, 2.5" OME lift, 32" BFG M/T's, 8.8 w/Detroit Trutracs & 4.10's F&R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in