Passenger Footwell Leak - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-03-2006, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
halfmoonclip
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Passenger Footwell Leak

Okay, tried search, I must not be asking the right questions.

Here's the deal; when the Jeep sits down at the cabin in the rain, I find some water (not a lot) in the passenger footwell. Often the Jeep is sitting with the pass side higher.
I haven't noticed any leakage when I'm driving.
The drain behind the engine seems to be clear; ran the hose down the cowl intake, and water came out promptly under the Jeep. No water in the footwell.

So what do ya' think?
Thnx,
Moon

'04 Rubi, manual, usual options, Hella H-4s, any range lockers, Randy's booster seats, Oly pushbar, 245/75R16 BFG
'09 Audi A4 Avant- my bride's schnellpuffenpanzer
'12 Ford Focus-the sure way to get good Jeep mileage
'07 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD-da kid's ride
Goodbye Old Blue XJ; 10+yrs, 100K+ miles; virtually trouble free; Long may you run!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-03-2006, 10:38 PM
trivergata

I've been told this is a leak in the windshield frame gasket - mine started after I took down the windshield once. Supposedly putting a bit of sealant on the gasket (when it's down) and then bolting up the frame again will do it, but mine's not too bad, and after all, it's a JEEP - wet carpet comes standard.

Josh
post #3 of 10 Old 06-07-2006, 12:19 PM
quigtj
Watch the playoffs!

Same thing Here

Got in the Jeep after parking it in the rain (hard top on - just picked it up)...pulled my backpack off the floor and there was an inch or more of water.

Later, after another couple of hours of it sitting in a down pour, I pull out of a spot, turn right, and all this water seems to come out from beneath the dash...Is this the engine drain thing you are talking about? I'll have to look around...

Let me know what you figure out.

post #4 of 10 Old 06-07-2006, 01:57 PM
scorpionkill

2008 JK Wrangler 

I had the same thing the other day, heavy rain= water on passenger side, was actually dripping from under the dash. Wonder about the cowl

2008 JK X 2 door, 1997 TJ
post #5 of 10 Old 06-07-2006, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
halfmoonclip
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I think there are actually a couple issues here, the plenum under the cowl leak being just one.
Don't think that is my problem. Mine doesn't leak when driving, but if I'm parked with the passenger side slightly UPHILL it leaks from the bottom of the door.
The soft top seems to put a steady run of water down the window about 1/3 of the way back from the A pillar; suspect that may be the culprit. Don't remember it ever happening with the hardtop/rain gutters in place.
In any case, for the moment the slop mats catch it, so what the hell. I would like to fix it eventually.
Moon

'04 Rubi, manual, usual options, Hella H-4s, any range lockers, Randy's booster seats, Oly pushbar, 245/75R16 BFG
Goodbye Old Blue XJ; 10+yrs, 100K+ miles; virtually trouble free; Long may you run!
post #6 of 10 Old 06-07-2006, 06:39 PM
Bishop Creek

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Whenever it rained or I washed my rig, I always found a puddle of water on the passenger side floorboard with my hard top on, but since I removed it and put a soft top on no more leaks of any kind.

ďThis isnít the Old West, because the New West has never arrived. Itís just the West, like Wyatt Earp died yesterday.Ē
─ Michael Martin Murphey talking about the Eastern Sierra during an interview in 1996.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-07-2006, 07:55 PM
TransRV

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I've got the same issue, so keep this going...?
post #8 of 10 Old 06-07-2006, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
halfmoonclip
2004 TJ Wrangler 

We all have the PROBLEM but not the FIX...
Moon

post #9 of 10 Old 06-07-2006, 08:40 PM
Supercharged99TJ

Leak

I went through this leak a while back. It took the dealer over a month to finally find and fix it. After a rain, the passenger floorboard would be 1" or better deep with water. They replaced every gasket on the Jeep and it still leaked. They took the entire dash out to see where the water was coming from. It was coming from the gasket under the windshield which is between the windshield frame and the body. They told me that from the factory, the gasket was installed improperly and water was running through a factory hole in the windshield framing. They put a new gasket on and it hasn't leaked a drop since....

05 Unlimited Rubicon - SOLD - I am currently Jeepless..
6 Speed - Red
Skyjacker 4" Value Flex Lift, Adjustable Front Track Bar, Addco F & R Sway Bars, Taurus Electric Fan, Banks Cat Back Exhaust, Teraflex Spacers, JKS BPE's, JKS 1.25" Body Lift and Motor Mount Lift, Power Windows & Locks, Power Lock/Unlock in Rear Hatch, 33x12.50 XTerrains on Moabs w/Spidertrax Spacers
post #10 of 10 Old 06-08-2006, 12:47 AM
TransRV

1989 YJ Wrangler 

hmmmmmm??? This sounds like something I may want fixed...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in