2Likes
  • 1 Post By TheBoogieman
  • 1 Post By WallyDog1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-31-2020, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Michael_K

Painting black top white...

Hi guys,

I have a black hardtop but it gets so hot under it.

I don't want to peel my top off because it gets driven into town.

I am thinking about painting just the top portion white. Was wondering if Plasti-dip is an option.

Any thoughts and ideas?

DailyDrivenTJ.com
JUST For Jeep TJ Owners Around the World!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-31-2020, 05:24 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

White plasti-dip sounds feasible and easily reversible if you wish, though you may instead consider installing some sort of insulated liner inside.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #3 of 9 Old 08-01-2020, 06:37 AM
WallyDog1

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_K View Post
Hi guys,

I have a black hardtop but it gets so hot under it.

I don't want to peel my top off because it gets driven into town.

I am thinking about painting just the top portion white. Was wondering if Plasti-dip is an option.

Any thoughts and ideas?
There are no insulating qualities in paint. White vs black will not make a difference that you'll notice. The fiberglass is going to get hot no matter what. You would need to insulate the underside of the roof. That would help but It's a Jeep! They are for fun not comfort Just my thoughts

From the Smoky Mountains of Western North Carolina

post #4 of 9 Old 08-01-2020, 12:42 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyDog1 View Post
There are no insulating qualities in paint. White vs black will not make a difference that you'll notice. The fiberglass is going to get hot no matter what.
Surface temperatures differ quite a bit depending on whether an object is painted a light versus dark colour; a white surface absorbs 35% less heat than a black surface. A lower surface temperature will result in less heat being transferred through to the interior.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #5 of 9 Old 08-01-2020, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Michael_K

Quote:
There are no insulating qualities in paint. White vs black will not make a difference that you'll notice. The fiberglass is going to get hot no matter what. You would need to insulate the underside of the roof. That would help but It's a Jeep! They are for fun not comfort[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/JeepForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_grin.png[/IMG] Just my thoughts
LOL. I have owned one of my TJs since 98.

I am very well aware how uncomfortable they are.

I have a Hemi on one of mine and while it runs 19x degree or cooler at all times I noticed that it will creep up to 209 (didn't want to experiment any further) when I am idling in 90+ degree weather with AC on. I currently have all aluminum custom radiator for it but if you look at Ram Hemi, Dodge had the condenser separate from radiator to ensure proper cooling. On a TJ, this is simply not possible plus have transmission oil cooler on top of that. I currently have constant duty/severe duty fan clutch. As soon as I turn of my AC, it starts cool down to 19x degrees again slowly. Moment I start moving more than 10 mph it starts to cool quickly or give a hint of throttle for 5 sec.

This is what got me to thinking about reducing the stress on the cooling system by painting the roof white.

It makes very little sense for me that color makes no difference as I can tell the difference when I am wearing black T shirt vs white.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_2lsMXR_wo

All things being equal, above video shows two identical cars with different colors with significantly different interior temperature and how quickly it cools.

And my R50 has white roof. I can tell difference in temp over my TJs.

Picked up 6 cans of white PlastiDip. Lets see what it does.

Another reference:
https://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/...ite-54729.html

DailyDrivenTJ.com
JUST For Jeep TJ Owners Around the World!
post #6 of 9 Old 08-01-2020, 06:20 PM
tanksoldier

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Painting it white, or buying a light colored top, will reduce the heat absorbed... but if you’re talking about all day in the sun it will catch up eventually. After all is said and done, cars of any kind are greenhouses.

I’d go with the plasti-dip. Cheap, should be effective, reversible.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-01-2020, 06:39 PM
popeyesides

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I used 3m white wrap on my top many years ago, just did the top where you can not see it while standing. That made a huge difference alone, went from running fan on 4 to 3. Then I bought the home depot 1/4" foil bubble rolls, 3m pressure sensitive tape and painted one side with flat white roof coating ( Roller) so it matched the top from the inside. I did the three separate panels on my LJ. Now I can have the fan on 2 most of the time in the summer. And I live in one of the hottest cities in this country.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-02-2020, 06:46 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

In this day and time, you might get some backlash from making a black top white.
ibikee likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-02-2020, 02:14 PM
WallyDog1

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
In this day and time, you might get some backlash from making a black top white.
Yeh...On the news the other day they were talking about pulling the classic "GONE WITH THE WIND" !!! It depicts the wrong image! I can remember being on Chanute AFB in Ill. in the 70's. Blacks on one end of the BX courtyard and whites on the other. They were military personnel and they were rioting on base! I was in a phone booth calling home and a rock came through the window! The next thing I knew white guys were trying to knock the booth over! I was snatched out of the booth by my shirt collar by a very brave black man. I believe he saved my white-but life! I have never forgotten him to this day. Reggie Dunlap! I wonder where you are now!
I know it 's off topic but there's a lot of good in all of us no matter the color!
TheBoogieman likes this.

From the Smoky Mountains of Western North Carolina

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in