Oversized Spare Tire Carrier w/ Savvy Tub Rub Rails (Tub Sliders) TJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 07-09-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
baremetl

Oversized Spare Tire Carrier w/ Savvy Tub Rub Rails (Tub Sliders) TJ

I'm wondering if anyone has found a body mounted spare tire that is fully compatible with the Savvy TJ Stainless Steel Tub Rub Rails (iow no required cutting of the rails themselves)? I have a 2000 TJ w/ 35" tires (not going any bigger), stock tailgate, Savvy corner armor, and of course the Savvy tub rub rails. Plans include adding the Savvy taillights which take up a bigger footprint on the corner than the stock lights. Not sure if y'all need more detail?

I previously had the Bestop HighRock 4x4 Oversize Tire Carrier installed before adding the Savvy corner armor and this carrier will require cutting the rub rails. I also have the MORryde Tailgate Reinforcement Kit (same as Exogate) but the larger hinges will interfere with the rub rails and require cutting. I reached out to GenRight and they confirmed that the rails will need to be cut for their carrier as well. Lastly, I reached out to Savvy and they said: "I'm being told GenRight is your best option." I responded for clarification on why so I'll update this thread/edit this post when I get more detail.

Some posts I've found with cuts in the rails to accommodate a spare tire carrier (might be an older version for Jerry Bransford's jeep but I'm not 100% sure. My rails look like the ones in the 1st link below) (sry cant post links cause jeep forum doesn't trust me I guess...):
  • Exogate (MORyde carrier) on SuperWade2's jeep here which show the required cuts: jeepforum.com/forum/f9/who-has-exogate-tire-carrier-1491566/index33.html
    Original ORFab carrier on Jerry Bransford's jeep (looks like more cutting): wranglerforum.com/f282/bumper-with-tire-carrier-851322.html#post1310660

Pretty much every other picture that I can find w/ the rub rails is of a Jeep without a tire carrier

Hopefully someone out there knows something that I don't (on this subject ) and can share for both my benefit & others in the future. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-10-2019, 01:28 PM
vosevichs
2001 TJ Wrangler 

go to builds and look up Holaday's noob build. he has SAVVY rub rails and genright tire carier.

Scott Vosevich
post #3 of 13 Old 07-10-2019, 01:28 PM
CGrugger
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have been looking into this as well, haven't found much in my searching...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2005 TJ X: MC 3.5" lift, 33"x12.5" tires, 1.25" Zone body lift, Curry Antirock sway bar.

post #4 of 13 Old 07-10-2019, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
baremetl

Thanks @vosevichs !

I found this pic in Holaday's build thread (my guess is that the swing out would interfere more). It looks like some of the attachment piece had to be hacked but I'll need to confirm. From here: jeepforum.com/forum/f22/noob-build-1395973/index45.html#post19123058

(This is so dumb how I can't add links or images until I have more total posts...)

Last edited by baremetl; 07-10-2019 at 06:59 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-10-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
baremetl

Here's one that might work as well but the company seems to not have the greatest track record... Does anyone have any experience with this tire carrier (Rusty's Tire Carrier - 1997-2006 TJ / LJ Wrangler)?

rustysoffroad.com/rustys-tire-carrier-1997-2006-tj-lj-wrangler.html
post #6 of 13 Old 07-10-2019, 07:36 PM
ftgiles

Here's what's possible. Don't be shy about cutting. Granted, others that have cut the rails look like crap.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00960.jpg   DSC00961.jpg   DSC00962.jpg   DSC00963.jpg   DSC00965.jpg  

DSC00970.jpg   DSC00974.jpg  
post #7 of 13 Old 07-10-2019, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
baremetl

@ftgiles Can you elaborate on what exactly you did here? It looks like you removed about an inch or inch and a half around the radius of the rail and then... idk... welded the end cap back onto the rest of the rail & filed/polished the crap out of it? I don't see any discoloration or hard lines though so I'm not entirely sure...? :/

Also, I'm guessing this is an older model of the rails because I have the solid ends (no exterior bolt) unless you also machined this end down & made it look pretty much perfect. All which sounds doable but near impossible to make it look as good as you did! (very good job btw! it looks completely untouched from the factory!)
post #8 of 13 Old 07-11-2019, 08:02 AM
ftgiles

post #9 of 13 Old 07-14-2019, 10:10 PM
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

The Exogate/MORryde pics were mine, https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/...l#post40207401

I cut a touch more than I needed too, but it really wasn't too bad... I don't think anything exists in a bolt on swing out config that won't require some modification... I bugged the Savvy guys for years to release something, which I have no doubt would have worked with all the other Savvy "stuff"...I thought they were close but it never happened nor do I think it likely ever will, which is why I went with the Exogate style.

I can try to get a better pic of the cut tomorrow...someone with better skills could have made it look nicer and probably not even noticeable to the untrained eye.

SW2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 WK2 Overland

post #10 of 13 Old 07-15-2019, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
baremetl

I did find a few carrier that will work but they have other drawbacks (questionable quality, no stops for their hinges, looks weird, etc.). The ones that might work are:
- Rusty's Tire Carrier
- Crawler Conceptz tire carrier

It also looks like you can make the Genright drop-down carriers work with some grinding on the upper mounts. The swing-out version won't fit.

So with that in mind, my plan is to cut the tub rail on the passenger side & try build/weld a cover over the resulting exposed end. Then attach the Exogate. I can't accomplish what ftgiles did w/o a lot more work (I have different rails which would require more than just cutting out a section & moving the end piece)

@SuperWade2 I notice that you have aluminum armor on both your corners & tailgate. You then installed the huge backing plates for the Exogate on each piece as well (corner & tailgate). I assumed that just the hinges would be good enough if you have the existing 3/16" armor already in place. Did you determine otherwise or were you just being overly cautious?
Additional close-up picks of the rail would be much appreciated as well! Thanks!
post #11 of 13 Old 07-15-2019, 06:53 PM
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baremetl View Post
@SuperWade2 I notice that you have aluminum armor on both your corners & tailgate. You then installed the huge backing plates for the Exogate on each piece as well (corner & tailgate). I assumed that just the hinges would be good enough if you have the existing 3/16" armor already in place. Did you determine otherwise or were you just being overly cautious?
Additional close-up picks of the rail would be much appreciated as well! Thanks!
Just overbuilt... I didn't run it any other way or think about it when I installed if there would have been any issue running without just on the Armor But who knows, someday I may decide to go bigger than 35" so seemed like a small bit of added weight for not having to think about it again. I overbuilt other areas of my rig too just because I could.

Here is a closer pic of the cut rail, the bolt inside is visible if you look closely. I could probably figure out a way to cover that end bit better if it bothered me, but it's barely 1/4" of visible cut. Like I said, someone more talented with the grinding wheel could keep that neater and closer to the edge of the mount also. Nothing on my rig is perfect or straight any more so it doesn't affect my rig or wheeling at all.

2017 WK2 Overland

post #12 of 13 Old 08-07-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
baremetl

@SuperWade2 thank you for the close up! I'm going to attempt ftgiles method (move the end of the rail) but we'll see what I end up with...

@ftgiles Another question for you... The end cap of the rail has a flat base (side that mates to the corner armor) but you moved it to the curve of the Jeep corner & it looks to be completely flush against the corner armor in your "end result" picture. How did you accomplish getting the curve onto the end cap?
post #13 of 13 Old 08-09-2019, 02:22 PM
ftgiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by baremetl View Post
@SuperWade2 thank you for the close up! I'm going to attempt ftgiles method (move the end of the rail) but we'll see what I end up with...

@ftgiles Another question for you... The end cap of the rail has a flat base (side that mates to the corner armor) but you moved it to the curve of the Jeep corner & it looks to be completely flush against the corner armor in your "end result" picture. How did you accomplish getting the curve onto the end cap?
Don't worry about it. I did not address it because it fits very tight. Here's an extreme close-up. I've never noticed it's not perfectly tight. Even the corner is not perfect to the body but it's not noticable from the naked eye.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190809_123707080_1565381827931.jpg  

Tags
savvy , spare tire carrier , tire carrier

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in