Outboarding shocks when - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 01-16-2013, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Shark45
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Outboarding shocks when

I can't find any info on when you need to outboard the rear shocks. Do you need to do this for 35' s or just extreme rock crawling?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-17-2013, 12:06 AM
LeeMasterGT

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'd actually be interested in reading a comprehensive list of the benefits as well!
post #3 of 20 Old 01-17-2013, 12:57 AM
afusco1222
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It's really only up to you to decide if you need to outboard the rear shocks. Can your setup use more up and downtravel? Are you constantly hitting your bumpstops when driving in the "whoops"? Outboarding is really for when your shocks become your limiting factor in axle travel and you need to run a longer shock. It is not dictated by lift or tire size but more so of what kind of offroading you do.

Now one of the nice things to do while outboarding is to relocate the rear spring perches which will give you a more stable feel on-road.

post #4 of 20 Old 01-17-2013, 01:01 AM
hustler905

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I did mine to eliminate some of the sway both on the trail and at speed on the road/gravel roads.

No set criteria for tire size or lift height though ...
post #5 of 20 Old 01-17-2013, 01:11 AM
Tblack
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Its like long arms.... There will be benefits, but you're probably going to do it for the look over benefits. I see it done most on jeeps with smaller lifts and lots of flex. I prefer the standard setup because it is my personal preference.

Safety 3rd!
post #6 of 20 Old 01-17-2013, 02:07 AM
LaKJ03
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Are you saying long arms are for looks only?
post #7 of 20 Old 01-17-2013, 03:23 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaKJ03 View Post
Are you saying long arms are for looks only?
I wouldn't say they were for looks only, I would say that most who own and run them, bought them for the wrong reasons.

I will also say that most who see them on a rig think they have a high cool factor and don't understand much else about them.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #8 of 20 Old 01-17-2013, 09:45 AM
mcannon111

2006 TJ Wrangler 

there is no "set" time in which you need to outboard your rear shocks. My friend has a 7 inch stretch out back and still has not outboarded the rear shocks, and his jeep works just fine on and off the road.

I think the best time to do it is when you have the rear suspension all torn apart, swapping rear axles, etc. I outboarded my shocks when i did my stretch, 8.8 swap, and 4 link. I would recommend it to anyone, but will say if you do it dont go out and buy your general white body shocks. Buy quality shocks so your results will be desirable.

Here is a pretty dirty picture of mine, but shows you where i put it.

no doors, no top, no problems

live in sc? join OffroadSC.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 20 Old 01-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Tblack
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I wouldn't say they were for looks only, I would say that most who own and run them, bought them for the wrong reasons.

I will also say that most who see them on a rig think they have a high cool factor and don't understand much else about them.
I have been meaning to ask you a question about that.... I live down the street from the Teraflex headquarters. Their long arm kit comes with 4 lower long arms. You're are supposed to use all short uppers. Is there something I am missing about how that design is supposed to be correct? Alot of friends run that kit, and that is the exact reason I don't. It just seems stupid to me.

As for outboard, I think that if you use the correct shocks for your correct lift height, you should never have a problem, especially if you have a regular coil spring set up. people hit the bump stop and flex out of their coil springs all the time on regular shocks. So i don't see a big benefit on the flex factor. There could be other reasons why it benefits a jeep, but I just can't think of anything at the time. Seems popular though, so there has to be some reason weather it looks great, or benefits you.

Safety 3rd!
post #10 of 20 Old 01-17-2013, 10:26 AM
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblack View Post
I have been meaning to ask you a question about that.... I live down the street from the Teraflex headquarters. Their long arm kit comes with 4 lower long arms. You're are supposed to use all short uppers. Is there something I am missing about how that design is supposed to be correct? Alot of friends run that kit, and that is the exact reason I don't. It just seems stupid to me.
That's completely wrong. The pinion movement will be ridiculous.

OlllllllO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IndyORV
post #11 of 20 Old 01-17-2013, 11:15 AM
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblack View Post

As for outboard, I think that if you use the correct shocks for your correct lift height, you should never have a problem, especially if you have a regular coil spring set up. people hit the bump stop and flex out of their coil springs all the time on regular shocks. So i don't see a big benefit on the flex factor. There could be other reasons why it benefits a jeep, but I just can't think of anything at the time. Seems popular though, so there has to be some reason weather it looks great, or benefits you.
You don't see a benefit because your viewpoint of what a properly set up suspension is, is wrong. Someone who can flex out of their coils does not have a properly set up suspension. Anyone can throw on longer shocks and flex out of their coils, but they are sacrificing up travel.

Simply put, if you want to run long travel shocks on smaller amounts of lift, and still maximize total travel, you need to out board. Plus their's the geometry benefits.
post #12 of 20 Old 01-17-2013, 11:58 AM
matteo92065
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I did my outboard for the following reasons:
I originally did a Rancho lift kit and the shock bodies were hitting the spring buckets.
The shocks that I originally bought were the wrong length and would limit my up travel.
I really liked reading the build up of jeeps from Imped, mJUSTINm , Unlimited04 & TJdualsport.
The high speed desert driving sucked in my Jeep. Partly my fault, partly limitations of Jeep.

So I outboarded to fix these issues and picked up some added value along the way.
Nothing hits/rubs the coil buckets (I know there are easier ways to fix that problem). I have 12" of usable travel with a shock that is 31" long. I took it out to the desert twice now and it does use all 12” w/o springs unseating. My axle has more clearance since the lower shock mounts are much higher and stronger than stock. Alltechmotorsports.com (Wayne) has figured out a really good shock tune to start from. I can rebuild and tune as necessary. I learned a lot about TJ rear suspension. My Jeep is a hobby and I like to tinker with it. It’s a step in the direction of 4-link suspension. The easily viewed shocks do look cool!

Quote:
I can't find any info on when you need to outboard the rear shocks. Do you need to do this for 35' s or just extreme rock crawling?
To directly answer the OP question:
I have 33” tires and I don’t do ‘extreme rock crawling’ (as defined by Pirate4x4 Jeep-Hardcore Tech). I did it because I like to do stuff, not because I ‘needed’ to outboard.

My build up:

2005 Jeep Rubicon
post #13 of 20 Old 01-17-2013, 12:02 PM
Ripper3494

1994 YJ Wrangler 

i outboarded mine for stability and because of the fact that i cant actually fit them anywhere else well

build thread:

1994 yj stretched, locked and loaded - 6.0l vortec lq4, 4l60e, np231, Dana 44s 37" interco trxus m/t, 3.5" bds front leafs, double triangulated 4 link rear on xj front coils.
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up

my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up

RC vs BDS

post #14 of 20 Old 01-17-2013, 12:22 PM
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Outboard the shock mounts when.....

You are tired of rock-magnet lower mounts
You are tired of the limited upper mounts and annoying, hard to access bolts
You like to improve on things

But remember, 12" travel shocks are pointless when your springs can only support 10".

OlllllllO

IndyORV
post #15 of 20 Old 01-17-2013, 12:36 PM
Ripper3494

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post

But remember, 12" travel shocks are pointless when your springs can only support 10".
This is very true my shocks are only 10" travels because the coils I use in the rear will unseat/stretch (since mine are fixed top and bottom) at any more droop... If I didn't care about useful flex I could max out a 14 or 16" shock with no suspension binding. But it's not useful with my springs

build thread:

1994 yj stretched, locked and loaded - 6.0l vortec lq4, 4l60e, np231, Dana 44s 37" interco trxus m/t, 3.5" bds front leafs, double triangulated 4 link rear on xj front coils.
1997 ZJ limited - BONE stock
2003 tj - 4in skyjacker, 33" mickey thompsons
my on board alternator/welder write up

my tj 1/2 doors on a yj write up

RC vs BDS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in