7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 21 Old 04-22-2018, 10:36 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackcj7 View Post
Is there a good alternative to the Synergy towers and lower shock mounts since it looks like they are not available anymore?
They are available but we have played with several out there and the nuance of the design seems to escape a bunch of folks. The upper bolt distance from the back wall is pretty important. You can always lean the tower outward to move the body away from the frame. You can only move it so far inward or it leans back at the top which is dumb looking and you can get into the tub if you have to lean it too far in.

Some like have been shown, have that goofy gusset. It isn't needed, has no effect on the strength of the mount and is oriented the wrong direction to be of much use. If you want to do some good out of some misguided fear that the back of the frame is going to fall off, add the same material to the inside of the frame so it sort of joggles full dimension around the back of the mount. Other than that, leave it alone and just get good welds around the cut.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 Old 04-22-2018, 10:42 AM
jjvw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
One of the long-standing concerns with outboarding is compromising the rear section of the frame in the event of a collision or even while towing. I've never seen examples of this being a problem. After a decade of this mod, has anyone seen any evidence that this is an issue to consider?

2003 Rubicon

2003 Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 21 Old 04-22-2018, 11:20 AM
zackcj7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvw View Post
Thanks!

I thought Synergy was the new branding for Poly Performance but it looks like products, even ones that appear to be exactly the same, are sold under both names still...

post #19 of 21 Old 04-22-2018, 01:26 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
One of the long-standing concerns with outboarding is compromising the rear section of the frame in the event of a collision or even while towing. I've never seen examples of this being a problem. After a decade of this mod, has anyone seen any evidence that this is an issue to consider?

2003 Rubicon
Not a decade. I did the first one in late 99/early 2000 so almost 2 decades. I have seen pictures of one that cracked the weld. The bottom wasn't fully welded and had a sizable gap. Only incident I've ever seen and we both know that with as much as folks like to give me crap, if there were more, they'd be in every shock outboard thread.
jjvw likes this.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
post #20 of 21 Old 04-22-2018, 01:35 PM
jjvw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
... and we both know that with as much as folks like to give me crap, if there were more, they'd be in every shock outboard thread.
I figured as much. I know a certain fastidious engineer who recently moved out of Colorado. He once said he wouldn't help me on this install because of these concerns. I never could find any reports of failure. So I did it anyway, despite the Jeep being my daily and that it also occasionally tows a small trailer.

2003 Rubicon

2003 Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 21 Old 04-22-2018, 03:46 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I figured as much. I know a certain fastidious engineer who recently moved out of Colorado. He once said he wouldn't help me on this install because of these concerns. I never could find any reports of failure. So I did it anyway, despite the Jeep being my daily and that it also occasionally tows a small trailer.

2003 Rubicon
He would have been the best person to understand what happens. Most forget that the tub is structural and once you tie everything together, the unitized strength is far greater than either alone. A simple FEA drawing would showed him the concerns and how to mitigate them which would be very little more than adding another vertical piece behind the mount that duplicates the removed outer wall and spanning that across the back of the shock mount.
jjvw and TJosh02 like this.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in