Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

"other" issues besides the NSS 01 Sahara

386 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  mukluk 
#1 ·
First off, it's my son's buddy who fell in love with this jeep (from a mutual friend) and he's had nothing but troubles with it not starting and already replaced the NSS 3x now !! It's an automatic, and pretty much SPOTLESS clean underneath for being a Jeep. So it hasn't been abused, and pretty low mileage.

Are there any OTHER issues that plague the auto tranny's? Grounding maybe?
It's a 6cyl auto.

I can't get over there to look at/diagnose it because of our schedules.
It's intermittent, so I'm thinking it's electrical.
I also told him to get to a parts store that can run a diagnostic code reading/print out, but don't know if he's done that yet.
..He's only 17 and hope this doesn't ruin his experience with Jeeps.

(If I had the $$$, I'd buy it from him:grin2:)

Thanks E

#3 ·
Thanks for responding.

I was told that it (NSS) had been replaced by original owner.

YES. turns over and starts/drives. ...most of the time. Then randomly, without warning it won't start or not shift.
I'll try and talk to the dad and see what else has been going on.

E

#4 ·
You're failing to see my question. Let me word it differently. I understand the problem is intermittent.

When it fails, does it turn over, but not start?

Or,

When it fails, does it not turn over?

These are two different issues.
Not starting could be fuel related, or one of many other problems.
Not turning over could be ignition switch, or one of many other problems.

And it's not going to shift if the engine isn't running.

I realize it's tuff not having the vehicle, getn second hand info, etc. and kudos to you for trying to help. But it's even tougher for us to help with third hand info.

#5 ·
Not to mention "won't shift" could be you can't get the range lever to physically move, the lever will move but the transmission doesn't do anything, or the transmission engages and gets the vehicle moving but refuses to shift from one gear to the next. This now brings up the question of what else is wrong or not working that may also be related to this problem?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.