ORO VS Genright VS Savvy...LED tail lights - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
View Poll Results: Which is the best overall?
GenRight Lite DOT tail lights 8 14.04%
ORO LiteDOT tail lights 3 5.26%
Savvy Off Road LED tail lights 46 80.70%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 74 Old 07-20-2014, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
SOWEGA TJ

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post

nah, just some wide hinges I found somewhere

Here they are unpainted. They look a bit silly before they were painted, they look pretty good now that they are painted, you don't notice them that bad.
I like them. Do you know the brand or where you got them?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 74 Old 07-20-2014, 08:53 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnEmOvr View Post
...Again what does my choice of bumpers have to do with the lights? No surprise JB running to the aide of Blaine.
I was running my first of two OR-Fab spare tire carriers years ago when I barely knew Blaine, so much for that failed cheap shot. It doesn't take more than a little common sense to realize the inherent weakness of depending on one end of a bumper to withstand that kind of leverage against it.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #63 of 74 Old 07-20-2014, 08:59 PM
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post

You missed the point as well.
I got the point. It just wasn't very sharp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I was running my OR-Fab spare tire carrier years ago when I barely knew Blaine, so much for that failed cheap shot. It doesn't take more than a little common sense to realize the inherent weakness of depending on one end of a bumper to withstand that kind of leverage against it.
What I was getting at is any time someone says something negative about him or his products you come in and throw your 2 cents in where it isn't needed thus cluttering the threads even though you complain when other do the same. Again I know the bumper mounted isn't the best option out there, never said it was. I like the idea of something like the or-fab you run (from my understanding this is number 2 after first Jeep was stolen) except I don't want my tire hanging 2' off the back end.

Sent from my phone where grammar isn't easy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #64 of 74 Old 07-20-2014, 09:08 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Blaine doesn't need my support any more than I shouldn't voice my opinion no matter who it backs up. You didn't like it simply because it didn't back your opinion. And my current OR-Fab carrier tucks the spare up close next to the tailgate, it doesn't stick out like the first OR-FAB I installed which placed two jerry cans between the tailgate and tire.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #65 of 74 Old 07-20-2014, 09:37 PM
danielbuck

1946 CJ2 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWEGA TJ View Post
I like them. Do you know the brand or where you got them?
They looked like this before I cut it up.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/6-in-Zinc...5408/202034047

Actually, it probably was this exact one. I soaked it in citric acid to get rid of the coatings (didn't want to weld something with fumes), cut the upper end down much shorter and plug welded the holes up, then drilled new holes to line up with the holes on the tail gate.

The bottom 1/2 of the hinge I just put an angle on the corners, so it wasn't just a 90 degree. No need to weld up or redrill the lower holes.

I can take a closer photo if you like.

post #66 of 74 Old 07-20-2014, 09:42 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I got the point. It just wasn't very sharp.
Sharp or not, it's only your opinion that the product is or isn't worth paying for just like it is my opinion that bumper mounted tire carriers are or are not worth paying for. Neither is any more correct than the other, it's just opinion and if you don't like me expressing mine, then keep yours to yourself.

For the record, I don't like Jerry's choice of tire carrier any more than I like yours.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #67 of 74 Old 07-20-2014, 09:45 PM
danielbuck

1946 CJ2 

actually, maybe that's not the exact hinge, the bolt holes on the lower part aren't the same pattern, I don't think I drilled any new holes on the bottom 1/2 of the hinge. The hinges themself that I used are 7 inches wide (when mounted on the jeep upright, I just measured them). They are just gate hinges, plenty strong enough.

post #68 of 74 Old 07-20-2014, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
SOWEGA TJ

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
actually, maybe that's not the exact hinge, the bolt holes on the lower part aren't the same pattern, I don't think I drilled any new holes on the bottom 1/2 of the hinge. The hinges themself that I used are 7 inches wide (when mounted on the jeep upright, I just measured them). They are just gate hinges, plenty strong enough.
Nice. Definitely something different
post #69 of 74 Old 07-22-2014, 01:57 PM
jgezelin
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Blaine doesn't need my support any more than I shouldn't voice my opinion no matter who it backs up. You didn't like it simply because it didn't back your opinion. And my current OR-Fab carrier tucks the spare up close next to the tailgate, it doesn't stick out like the first OR-FAB I installed which placed two jerry cans between the tailgate and tire.
Two JERRY cans behind the tire sorry I make myself laugh sometimes.
post #70 of 74 Old 07-22-2014, 03:21 PM
LeeMasterGT

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
For the record, I don't like Jerry's choice of tire carrier any more than I like yours.
WAYYYY off topic here... But make a thread showing your preferred tire carrying methods. I'm completely open to ideas for not having a tire carrier off the back!

Build
post #71 of 74 Old 07-22-2014, 04:09 PM
danielbuck

1946 CJ2 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMasterGT View Post
WAYYYY off topic here... But make a thread showing your preferred tire carrying methods. I'm completely open to ideas for not having a tire carrier off the back!
Probably leaving the spare at the trail head, and bringing a sh*t ton of tire plugs

post #72 of 74 Old 07-22-2014, 04:19 PM
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMasterGT View Post
Quote:
Probably leaving the spare at the trail head, and bringing a sh*t ton of tire plugs
Or back seat mounted.

post #73 of 74 Old 07-22-2014, 04:37 PM
LeeMasterGT

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Or back seat mounted.
That's where it is currently. Just on the floor. More creative and elegant solutions would be awesome.

Build
post #74 of 74 Old 08-19-2014, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
SOWEGA TJ

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone have the wiring color schematics for an 05 TJ?

what wire color=what function

Tags
genright , LED lights , ORO lite dots , savvy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in