1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 04-15-2012, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
BadJeep2006

2006 LJ Wrangler 

ORI Strut Review

Ok folks, I have been posting in the ORI Struts thread

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ori-struts-921455/

Anyway, I figured I owe you all a mini review and my thoughts on these. Simply put, they're awesome!!

I have 14" STs installed on all 4 corners on my 2006 Rubicon Unlimited. A to Z Fabrication did the install and did a great job frenching in the rear struts and the fabrication of the front mounts. Now when I first started this build, I was dead set on installing fox coilovers. Zack at A to Z talked to me about the ORIs and I decided I would give them a try. The main motivation for using these instead of coilovers was being able to get rid of my sway bars and not having to install air bumps.

ORIs are not cheap. They are approx $700 per strut, but you have to get past that based on the money you save in other areas. If you figure you are going to spend at least $600 to do front and rear sway bars the right way, and at least $100 per corner for air bumps, you will find out you are really saving money.

So how do they ride?, awesome. There is a steep learning curve on setting these things up, but they offer a plethora of different set ups. They allow you to control your ride height and roll rate. If you have nitrogen, you can make changes on the fly.

Initially I had my ride hieght set very high. The Jeep looked like a monster and took a ladder to get in. I found I had a ton of body roll and it was tough to drive on the road.

I dropped the ride height about 5 inches and man what a difference it makes on the road. It rides for true and straight at 60 MPH. I actually think this thing handles as good or better than stock. Remember, this is on 40 inch bias ply tires! The downside is the ride is a little rough. I am still working on getting the right settings.

How does she handle off road, AMAZING! I hit a bunch of rock formations today and the articulation was awesome It is very stable and i was in some very nasty off camber situations.

In summary, if you are serious about off roading, but want a Jeep that can still be a DD, these are for you. If you are a occasional wheeler who sticks to the main roads, then the cost is not worth it.

PROS:
Great Articulation
Many different setting combinations for different situations
Handle good on the road.
Eliminates the need for sway bars and bump stops

CONS
Expensive
Steep learning curve

Please hit me with any questions you have and I will do my best to answer.

BadJeep Build: D60 front W/ARB and 5.38 gears, Sterling 10.5 rear W/ARB and 5.38, 3 Link front, 4 link rear, 14" ORI Struts, Atlas II transfer case, A to Z Fab full cage, Genright fenders, A to Z Fab front bumper, and Warn M8000 winch. Thinking stroker in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 04-15-2012, 07:36 PM
jeepinmichguy_

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
post #3 of 41 Old 04-15-2012, 07:36 PM
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Any pics of the mounts? Front/Rear/Upper/Lower?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Your shaft isn't long enough to handle that kind of droop...
2003 TJ Rubicon:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 JKU Rubicon:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 41 Old 04-15-2012, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
BadJeep2006

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconRazorbac View Post
Any pics of the mounts? Front/Rear/Upper/Lower?

Let me know if you need anything more specific. I will take some for you tomorrow after I clean the Jeep up.

BadJeep Build: D60 front W/ARB and 5.38 gears, Sterling 10.5 rear W/ARB and 5.38, 3 Link front, 4 link rear, 14" ORI Struts, Atlas II transfer case, A to Z Fab full cage, Genright fenders, A to Z Fab front bumper, and Warn M8000 winch. Thinking stroker in the future.
post #5 of 41 Old 04-15-2012, 08:34 PM
RubiconRazorbac
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJeep2006

Let me know if you need anything more specific. I will take some for you tomorrow after I clean the Jeep up.
Thanks!

Amazing how much cleaner the axles are without swaybar end link mounts, spring perches, & bumpstops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Your shaft isn't long enough to handle that kind of droop...
2003 TJ Rubicon:

2017 JKU Rubicon:
post #6 of 41 Old 04-16-2012, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
BadJeep2006

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yes it is super easy to get at anything down in that area.

post #7 of 41 Old 04-17-2012, 04:38 PM
irb4ur

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I noticed your ORIs are the ST model, not the STX. You mentioned the rough ride. The STX smooths that out if your rough ride is because you are running with less than mid stroke at ride height (STs are upgradeable to STX). If that is not the case, then the rough ride might be because you run at fairly high pressures top and bottom. The compression spring rate can be slowed, or flattened out by adding a remote reservoir. The RR adds to the total compressible gas volume. Or you can just try lowering both the upper and lower pressures: -20 psi to start on the bottom, and whatever on the top to still get the same ride height.
post #8 of 41 Old 04-17-2012, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
BadJeep2006

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I picked up a nitrogen bottle and regulator today. Now I can really start to play with settings to get the ride I want. It was like 40 bucks every time I had them serviced before.

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try

right now i was using a setting from a guy on pirate. 110 in the lower and 260 in the upper. Not really fond of the feel. Any suggestions as far as numbers?

post #9 of 41 Old 04-17-2012, 04:54 PM
undercoverfab
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJeep2006 View Post
I picked up a nitrogen bottle and regulator today. Now I can really start to play with settings to get the ride I want. It was like 40 bucks every time I had them serviced before.

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try

right now i was using a setting from a guy on pirate. 110 in the lower and 260 in the upper. Not really fond of the feel. Any suggestions as far as numbers?
Are you feeling more of a rough ride from the front or the rear? 100psi in the front lowers feels good to me but I had to lower the bottom side pressure to 80psi or so to smooth out the rear ride a bit more. The upper pressure will be completely dependent on the unsprung weight and lower side pressure. It will vary from vehicle to vehicle and shouldn't be based on anyone else's numbers.

Matt Walton

(334) 446-3821

Use the coupon code "jeepforum.com" to save 10% today!

Check us out on

post #10 of 41 Old 04-17-2012, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
BadJeep2006

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverfab View Post
Are you feeling more of a rough ride from the front or the rear? 100psi in the front lowers feels good to me but I had to lower the bottom side pressure to 80psi or so to smooth out the rear ride a bit more. The upper pressure will be completely dependent on the unsprung weight and lower side pressure. It will vary from vehicle to vehicle and shouldn't be based on anyone else's numbers.
The front is where all my rough ride is coming from. I only have about 1.5 of chrome showing right now. Se my long story below.

Ugh where to start! Initially I was showing about 6 inches of chrome all around. Pressures unknown because I didn't do the initial service. I had a ton of body roll and the front lifted a lot under acceleration.

At the advice of a pirate guy, I set my pressures on the front to 110 lower and 260 upper. My rear was set to 110 lower and 240 upper. With this setting, the strut would not extend and stayed on the bottom after deservicing them. I had to raise the upper pressure to 350 and give the fender an upward pull to get extension. I got them to 5 inches of chrome showing.

Again, they felt spongy and rolled a lot. I slowly took some pressure out of the top. I was shooting for 4 inches of chrome but blew past that and hit 3. These suckers lose extension fast when you pull pressure. It felt much better, but still rolled. So I went to let a little more out and ended up at 1.5 inches of chrome in the front. I have about 4 in the back.

It rides rough now, but very true. It corners great and tracks very true. That's where I left it because I didn't want to go back and pay the shop again. I got a nitro bottle today and will be trying to set them right tomorrow. I anticipate a lot of up and down until I get the perfect feel. I just need to make a hose with a ball valve to hook to the strut to go from my regulator..

Again, all the feed back is very appreciated. I love these struts, but want to get them right. Do you have any specific suggestions? What do you think of going like 80 on the bottom and then whatever for the top to get ride height?

post #11 of 41 Old 04-17-2012, 06:37 PM
undercoverfab
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJeep2006 View Post
The front is where all my rough ride is coming from. I only have about 1.5 of chrome showing right now. Se my long story below.

Ugh where to start! Initially I was showing about 6 inches of chrome all around. Pressures unknown because I didn't do the initial service. I had a ton of body roll and the front lifted a lot under acceleration.

At the advice of a pirate guy, I set my pressures on the front to 110 lower and 260 upper. My rear was set to 110 lower and 240 upper. With this setting, the strut would not extend and stayed on the bottom after deservicing them. I had to raise the upper pressure to 350 and give the fender an upward pull to get extension. I got them to 5 inches of chrome showing.

Again, they felt spongy and rolled a lot. I slowly took some pressure out of the top. I was shooting for 4 inches of chrome but blew past that and hit 3. These suckers lose extension fast when you pull pressure. It felt much better, but still rolled. So I went to let a little more out and ended up at 1.5 inches of chrome in the front. I have about 4 in the back.

It rides rough now, but very true. It corners great and tracks very true. That's where I left it because I didn't want to go back and pay the shop again. I got a nitro bottle today and will be trying to set them right tomorrow. I anticipate a lot of up and down until I get the perfect feel. I just need to make a hose with a ball valve to hook to the strut to go from my regulator..

Again, all the feed back is very appreciated. I love these struts, but want to get them right. Do you have any specific suggestions? What do you think of going like 80 on the bottom and then whatever for the top to get ride height?

1.5" is way too low. You need at least 4 inches of up in my opinion. The last couple inches will ride very firm because you are on the internal bump-stop. It's a balance... within reason you want as much pressure in the lowers as you can handle from a comfort standpoint. I think 100psi is a good starting point, but need to get up high enough that you're off the bump stop.

Matt Walton

(334) 446-3821

Use the coupon code "jeepforum.com" to save 10% today!

Check us out on

post #12 of 41 Old 05-19-2012, 05:14 PM
shadetreezj

In case you don't have it, the troubleshooting section here ----> http://oristruts.com/setup/stx-strut...tx-user-guide/ may help you out.

Be sure to read the set up section thoroughly.

Work the bugs out quick!! Mine are in the mail...........
post #13 of 41 Old 05-19-2012, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
BadJeep2006

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetreezj View Post
In case you don't have it, the troubleshooting section here ----> http://oristruts.com/setup/stx-strut...tx-user-guide/ may help you out.

Be sure to read the set up section thoroughly.

Work the bugs out quick!! Mine are in the mail...........
I appreciate the link I already got them set up, but will use it if needed in the future.

All I can say is you are gonna love these struts. They are awesome!

post #14 of 41 Old 05-19-2012, 07:04 PM
two_much_talk
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have air shocks now ... I'd like to try these someday ... subscribed.
post #15 of 41 Old 05-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2012 JK Wrangler 

Have you done any high speed endurance type wheeling with them? I have heard that they fade fairly fast dune running and stuff like that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in