Optima battery flat dead - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 128 Old 12-19-2010, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
dadscab
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Optima battery flat dead

Well this is the second Optima battery to go flat dead without any warnings. It was the red top and around 4 years old? No signs of it dying just would not start or even turn on lights. What is a good replacement battery for the TJ that is maintenance free???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 128 Old 12-19-2010, 10:01 AM
jeepinmichguy_

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Most people are switching to the sears die hard platinum 34/78. I have yet to have the optima issues that others are having. Good luck.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
post #3 of 128 Old 12-19-2010, 10:06 AM
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Are you sure that nothing got left on and drained it? Have you tried hooking it to another charged battery then hooking your charger to them to get it going?

post #4 of 128 Old 12-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

go with a Diehard Platinum P4

Useful Write-Ups:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #5 of 128 Old 12-19-2010, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
dadscab
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Was working out at the desert yesterday and shut the jeep off for about 10 mins. Went to start it and nothing. Off road lights, radio, gauges, nothing. Checked the terminals and they were clean. Had to jump start it to get it to run then while driving home the alternator would charge up to 19 amps while under high RPMs. Let it idle for a second and would go back to normal around 14 volts
post #6 of 128 Old 12-19-2010, 10:35 AM
del_TJ

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadscab View Post
Well this is the second Optima battery to go flat dead without any warnings. It was the red top and around 4 years old? No signs of it dying just would not start or even turn on lights. What is a good replacement battery for the TJ that is maintenance free???
My first optima red top only lasted 3 years. I'm 1-1/2 years into my second red top but when I bought it, I didn't realized that people are saying the quality of the optima batteries isn't what it used to be. It made me think that the short 3 year life wasn't just a fluke. I'll go with the Sears Platinum next time based on the positive feedback.
post #7 of 128 Old 12-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Boundless

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
what he ^ said X's...

2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) 6cyl, 4spd auto, dana 30/44 3.73, rear trac-loc, hard top, BFG KM2 35/12.5 x 15 on rattle can black stock Ravine wheels & 1.5" spacers, trimmed flares, budget PA 1" BL & RC 1" MML, Ford Explorer roof rack, Hella e-code headlight housings, 55 watt DDM HID Hi/Lo 6000k, EBC Yellow Stuff front brake pads, Platinum P4 battery, Rusty's 3" 305s front and 303s rear springs, RC rear track bar bracket and Hella 500FFs with DDM's 55watt 6000k H3 HIDs on windshield hinge brackets. Currie's front upper and lower control arms. Hummm whats next? Building a Dana HP30 with 4.88 and ? locker

post #8 of 128 Old 12-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Recoil

1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
Ditto. I love mine. The only time it ever gave me trouble was when I rolled my jeep and had to jump it. Otherwise it's been great even on the coldest days.

\/ \/ \/

post #9 of 128 Old 12-19-2010, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
dadscab
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Guys! I will go Sears today and pick one up. Ive gone through two Optimas now. One in my sand rail and now one in the jeep so I am now officially out of the Optima fan club. Both times left me stranded in the desert..
post #10 of 128 Old 12-19-2010, 11:56 AM
asknight

2006 TJ Wrangler 

East Penn Deka Intimidator 34/78

O'reillys sells it as a Super Start Extreme AGM 34/78.
post #11 of 128 Old 12-19-2010, 01:24 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks Guys! I will go Sears today and pick one up. Ive gone through two Optimas now. One in my sand rail and now one in the jeep so I am now officially out of the Optima fan club. Both times left me stranded in the desert..
You can add your woes if you're so inclined. Essentially though, the party line from Optima via Optima Jim is if your Optima dies, it's your fault for putting a non deep cycle battery (Red Top) into deep cycle useage. Nor does it matter that you've since replaced it with the cheapest flooded cell SLI you can buy and the only change to the system or useage is swapping batteries.

Batteries...Optima alternatives? - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #12 of 128 Old 12-19-2010, 01:26 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asknight View Post
East Penn Deka Intimidator 34/78

O'reillys sells it as a Super Start Extreme AGM 34/78.
Do any of the O'reillys affiliates honor their warranty? The reason I ask is we do not have that brand of store here in the west that I know of and I do know we have Sears stores nationwide.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #13 of 128 Old 12-19-2010, 02:33 PM
dcope17

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Was working out at the desert yesterday and shut the jeep off for about 10 mins. Went to start it and nothing. Off road lights, radio, gauges, nothing. Checked the terminals and they were clean. Had to jump start it to get it to run then while driving home the alternator would charge up to 19 amps while under high RPMs. Let it idle for a second and would go back to normal around 14 volts
This is a problem... I assume you mean 19 volts. You should never get more than 16V... Possibly overcharging damage from a bad voltage regulator?????

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
post #14 of 128 Old 12-19-2010, 03:53 PM
tangotag
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Do any of the O'reillys affiliates honor their warranty? The reason I ask is we do not have that brand of store here in the west that I know of and I do know we have Sears stores nationwide.
I checked with my local O'Reillys, they do honor the 3 year free replacement then out 84(I assume remaining 48) month pro-rated.
But they can't recall any returns on the East Penn's Deka AGM at least in the last 2 years.
They don't push the AGMs for sales, and do explain that they sell less expensive conventional batteries and want the customer satisfied. O'Reillys offered to test my current battery for free to make sure it needs replacing.
post #15 of 128 Old 12-19-2010, 04:15 PM
flatlander757

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
You can buy that same battery at any Carquest store as well, though it is under the "NGT Extreme" name... it's a rebadged Deka Intimidator.

SOLDThe lumbering steel-laden pig - 2003 TJ - 40" LTBs - D60/D70HD - 5.86s - Detroit lockers - 110" wheelbase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in