OPDA turning - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 09-16-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
tjeff2000

OPDA turning

OK, I didn't see anything here (I'm sure it's somewhere, I just couldn't find it)
My 05 LJR auto started having starting issues after changing the oil last weekend.
I ended up starting up (for no reason) a few minutes later and has ran all week... until today.

What I ended up finding out is I can twist the top of my OPDA.
I'm the original owner since 1/05 and I do not believe I have ever changed out the famous stock one.
FYI, the jeep has about 105,000 miles.

After watching a video on how to change it out, it looks like the OPDA should not twist at all, the gears should 'lock' in however, mine do not.
The jeep will not start when it was rotated about 90 degrees, sensor facing the passenger side, however, when I twisted it back to the 'normal' position as I saw in my FSM, it started right up.

My question is: How much trouble am I in for.
If it twists, is something broken inside?
I do a lot of my own repairs on my vehicles, but I'm not a certified mechanic and I honestly have NO time to deal with this.
If it's just a worn part??? Then I can line it up, pull it and install a new Crown one.

If something is broken off and it has to be taken all apart... I'm out!

Thanks for any help you can list.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-16-2019, 04:29 PM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

quick msg - keep your original OPDA... even if you replaqce it - save core - details later..

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-16-2019, 06:21 PM
mherriman
2006 TJ Wrangler 

OPDA .?

post #4 of 17 Old 09-16-2019, 06:31 PM
AjRagno

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure if I understand.

The body of the OPDA is held to the block by a single bolt and bracket. The only reason I can imagine that you would able to rotate the body is because this bolt is loose or the bracket is broken.

If you have removed the cover and you can freely spin the wheel, the OPDA has failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
quick msg - keep your original OPDA... even if you replace it - save core - details later..
This is interesting. I have 4 OPDAs: The original that failed at 146,000, the Domran that failed at 176,000, the currently installed Crown, and a spare Dorman that I used while waiting for the Crown unit.
post #5 of 17 Old 09-17-2019, 02:31 AM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mherriman View Post
OPDA .?
Oil Pump Drive Assembly. It's what replaced the distributor when coil packs were introduced and contains the Cam Position (CMP) Sensor.
post #6 of 17 Old 09-17-2019, 03:34 AM
AjRagno

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mherriman View Post
OPDA .?
Sorry... I figured everyone with an '05-'06 has reference for this issue.

The OPDA was redesigned for the '05-'06 TJs and the updated design has not been as robust as the previous assembly. It's best to just replace it with the Crown unit (re-use the original sensor) and not worry about it.

jtec likes this.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-17-2019, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
tjeff2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjRagno View Post
I'm not sure if I understand.

The body of the OPDA is held to the block by a single bolt and bracket. The only reason I can imagine that you would able to rotate the body is because this bolt is loose or the bracket is broken.

If you have removed the cover and you can freely spin the wheel, the OPDA has failed.

This is interesting. I have 4 OPDAs: The original that failed at 146,000, the Domran that failed at 176,000, the currently installed Crown, and a spare Dorman that I used while waiting for the Crown unit.

The entire body twists with my hand, sensor and all.
The sensor was facing the passenger side (90 degrees from where it should be) and the jeep would not start, just kept turning over. Once I noticed it didn't look right, I twisted it back into position and it started right up.

I didn't have time to take the cover off and look, but I know it's bad, just don't know how bad.
It should not move, the gears should mesh, but something isn't right...

Thinking about calling a local mechanic that does a lot of jeep work as I would like him to do a few more things while the jeep is there.
Already picked up a new one at Crown today, now to just get it installed.

I almost forgot, yes the 13 mm bolt and bracket is still there, but even without it, it should be meshing with the gear anyways.
post #8 of 17 Old 09-17-2019, 09:30 AM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

don't over think this. The center shaft is gear driven and fixed the shell around it will freely spin. Just like a distributor.
The clamp and bolt is the first suspect likely loose

You want the original OPDA esp the sensor as the aftermarket is lacking in quality and OEM is not the same supplier (quality) as the replacement sold now even from a jeep dealer.
. Often laymen will try to adjust or set the ignition timing by rotating the Assy, this is NOT ignition. Using a scanner will allow tech to set up sync CMP and CKP timing,

Use the CMP sensor from the OEM unit if you replace.

post #9 of 17 Old 09-21-2019, 02:01 PM
Curtis Doran
Frigid Jeeper

2006 LJ Wrangler 

As this is a fairly fresh thread and I have a related question I'll post here. I pulled the opda for inspection with the engine tdc (holes aligned). I ordered a new one but neglected to put the old one back in until the following day. The body of the opda seems to be further rotated than it was when I removed it, as evidenced by the taughtness of the sensor cable.

Im wondering if maybe my kids might of been playing In the jeep or soemthing and maybe it moved a bit out of centre?

Pics here. Wondering if anyone can advise?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190921_163059_1569096092494.jpg   00000IMG_00000_BURST20190921163109064_COVER_1569096101751.jpg  
jtec likes this.

1998 TJ 2.5L No options! (Gone)
+
2005 WK 5.7L All options! (Gone)
=
2006 LJ Rubicon
post #10 of 17 Old 09-21-2019, 04:04 PM
AjRagno

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Doran View Post
As this is a fairly fresh thread and I have a related question I'll post here. I pulled the opda for inspection with the engine tdc (holes aligned). I ordered a new one but neglected to put the old one back in until the following day. The body of the opda seems to be further rotated than it was when I removed it, as evidenced by the taughtness of the sensor cable.

Im wondering if maybe my kids might of been playing In the jeep or soemthing and maybe it moved a bit out of centre?

Pics here. Wondering if anyone can advise?
When the OPDA goes into the block, the gear on the OPDA will mate with the gear on the camshaft. Because the wheel of the OPDA is locked with the alignment pin, the entire assembly will rotate clockwise as the gears mesh.

This should be as simple as pulling the OPDA out, rotating slightly counter clockwise (to roughly 3 o-clock), and reinserting it into the block. It should be aligned at approximately 4 o-clock when fully inserted into the block.
post #11 of 17 Old 09-21-2019, 04:15 PM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

I think If you left the OPDA with the line up tool as in diagram, and anything moved the key (tool) would be tight or broken .
Attached Images

post #12 of 17 Old 09-21-2019, 05:09 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

You could verify the marks for TDC are lined up but I think that will be OK, assuming that allen wrench was inserted the whole time (as noted above). What probably happened is you started inserting the OPDA from the wrong starting position (also as noted above). Since it rotates as it goes in when pinned as your is in the photo, & that is the correct way to do it, you need to start more like 2:30 or 3 o’clock for it to end up at 4 or 4:30. Now you will have to pull it back out & start it in a better position (one tooth ccw) & to get it to drop all the way down you will have to turn the oil pump with a screwdriver since it will be going back in a slightly different position.

Here are photos of my starting & ending positions for reference.

AND IF REPLACING IT BE SURE TO SAVE YOUR OLD (ORIGINAL) CAM SENSOR. Many reports of sensor failures with replacement sensors. Search P-340 & P-0344 to see about that.
Attached Thumbnails
P4120161.jpg   P4120157.jpg  
post #13 of 17 Old 10-03-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
tjeff2000

**UPDATE**

Ok, thank you for everyone's comments.
I am the original owner of my 05 LJR and never changed out the OPDA, I never had a problem.
However, I found out that the bolt was loose (How the heck?) and that's why the unit was able to rotate.
I didn't find this out until AFTER I had already bought a new crown one.
Figured it needed to be replaced anyways, so I just finished bolting it in.
Still not ready to start up, intake off, no sensor, battery disconnected, tools everywhere, but I saw on a video (same one I think as up above) to reuse the same original sensor and not the crown one.
That's what stopped me and brought me to the computer.
Is that what most people are doing? keeping the original sensor with the crown OPDA?

As for the guy above, you have to install it getting the sensor part as close to the block as possible and then it will align with the teeth and twist back down into position. Mine is more like 5 o'clock now, but I'm hoping it's the same. Crossing my fingers that it starts when I get around to finishing it all up.
post #14 of 17 Old 10-03-2019, 07:35 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

You certainly want to keep the original even if for a back up in case the Crown one starts throwing codes, usually P0340 &/or P0344. Certainly not all replacement ones are bad so not necessary to replace with original now but definitely have it “just in case”.
post #15 of 17 Old 10-05-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
tjeff2000

Well...
That did work.
Mine is more like at 5 o'clock.
Went to look at another TJ today and his cover bolts were straight across, lined up with the engine block.
as you can see in the pic, mine are not.
Could this be it?
Do you think I'm out of sync?

Waiting for a call back at this time from a local mechanic unless I figure something else out.
Attached Thumbnails
OPDA.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in