Oily Clutch or Manual 5 Spd Gear Oil Issue? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 Old 05-24-2016, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Z15CAM
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Oily Clutch or Manual 5 Spd Gear Oil Issue?

2001 TJ Sport 4.0L 5 Spd Manual 30/35 - 3:55 Gears with 32" Tires and lifted 4/3.

OK it's not a rock crawler, great in the terrain I traverse and has to be doing over 110Km to get into 5th on the HWY.

Here's my problem: Shifts great into any gear when rolling; however, when I stop, I have one hell of a time getting to 1st or reverse when the platform is hot. Yet in Winter weather it works Ok.

Generally I have to shut down and restart the engine in neutral to get it into 1st or reverse whether in 2wd, 4wd Hi or 4wd Low.

I resonantly changed a persistent leaking valve cover gasket that was dripping around the Bell-Housing - Oily Clutch (Which should slip but it doesn't) or is the 5 Spd manual transmission Syncro's demanding different Lube or is the clutch dragging in oil?

I've no idea what lube is in the tyranny now but suspect it should be GL4.

From what I read about this issue, most members say it's characteristic with this model and haven't found a definitive answer Gl4 or not?

PS: Have own it for 2 years and love it except for this issue. There is plenty of room around the shifter stick and the floor pan tunnel shifter hole and 4wd linkages appear solid.

What? Change Gear oil to ensure it's GL4 and if the issue still persists pull the clutch, clean and put in a new disk?

240,000 km on this machine and appears in great mechanical condition - Engine purrs and doesn't bun oil. Are the Syncro's shot? I'm a an old Class A Mussel Car Mechanic - Not that familiar with this Machine.

Ron: 2001 Jeep TJ Sport 4.0L 5 Spd Manual - No AC

Last edited by Z15CAM; 05-24-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 05-24-2016, 04:53 PM
ks99ws
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Redline MT-90, Royal Purple SyncroMesh, and 10W-30 are the fluids to use in it if its an AX15 tranny. I'm no expert but I've been fighting mine for awhile, pull and replaced mine with a "new" one from CL just this week. Those are the only fluids to run in an AX15 from all of the threads I've read. There my be others, I'm sure someone will chime in if there is. The GL-5 fluids eat at the brass of the syncro's but you're talking about doesn't sound like syncro's if it shifts ok, up or down when you're running. Again I'm no expert but maybe a fork or something?
post #3 of 59 Old 05-24-2016, 05:19 PM
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Its a nv3550. it takes synchromesh fluid ONLY. Not gear oil

post #4 of 59 Old 05-24-2016, 06:42 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris142 View Post
Correct, and not 10/30 motor oil.

and OP, have your axles been swapped. 3.55 was not offered on a 2001?

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #5 of 59 Old 05-24-2016, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Z15CAM
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The 35D was optional from 3:07's to 3:55's and can't go lower without a carrier change. Forget that crap it has nothing to do with my issue.

And I'm hatting this forum with all it's BOT and members can't respond respectively.

post #6 of 59 Old 05-24-2016, 07:21 PM
Deacon

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z15CAM View Post
And I'm hatting this forum with all it's
Wait... You didn't finish your thought. Why are you hatting the forum? If we're to don a dapper chapeau, I need to know what we're up against.
post #7 of 59 Old 05-24-2016, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Z15CAM
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Deacon: This is the last kind of **** I would expect from a hear-ted Jeep forum - All I want is a Diagnostic FIX that doesn't cost me a fortune..

post #8 of 59 Old 05-24-2016, 10:12 PM
MoFarmBoy
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
Wait... You didn't finish your thought. Why are you hatting the forum? If we're to don a dapper chapeau, I need to know what we're up against.
You're up against a "Class A mussel car mechanic." Sounds like a character on Spongebob Squarepants.
post #9 of 59 Old 05-24-2016, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Z15CAM
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I've been honest, provided a all the hype freely but a solution I've yet to hear a plausible FIX from one of you!

I don't need this CRAP!

Last edited by Z15CAM; 05-24-2016 at 11:08 PM.
post #10 of 59 Old 05-25-2016, 12:58 AM
Deacon

2006 TJ Wrangler 

It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time. And yes, there are some too quick to chime in with random misinformation. But you got your answer, below. Since you're whatever you are with delicious steamed mussels with a white wine lemon sauce in cars, I imagine you'll be able to drain whatever fluid is in there now and replace it with synchromesh to see if it helps or if you're going to need a rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris142 View Post
post #11 of 59 Old 05-25-2016, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Z15CAM
2001 TJ Wrangler 

OK thanks for the solid input from some members - I've concluded it is an oil soaked clutch disk as a result of a persistent leaky valve cover gasket.

Rather then cleaning and either baking or changing out the clutch disk, I've elected, for the time being, to just let it ride and be annoyed to having shut down to release the clutch in order to shift into 1st or reverse from neutral when the unit is hot.

post #12 of 59 Old 05-25-2016, 05:04 PM
Deacon

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Out of curiosity, what made you conclude that? I've never experienced that before, but how would oil on the surface of the clutch plate make any difference whatsoever regarding whether you can shift into any gear at any operating temperature and regardless of whether the engine is running?
post #13 of 59 Old 05-27-2016, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Z15CAM
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Motorcycle clutches - Particularly Harley's.

When the clutch gets oil soaked and sticks to the flywheel you can not shift into any gear at idle unless you shut down the engine to un-stick the clutch disk.

Sense I had a persistent leaking valve cover at the back that dripped oil over the Bell-housing the issue is exactly like an oil soaked clutch on a Harley.

post #14 of 59 Old 05-27-2016, 07:52 PM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z15CAM View Post
Motorcycle clutches - Particularly Harley's.

When the clutch gets oil soaked and sticks to the flywheel you can not shift into any gear at idle unless you shut down the engine to un-stick the clutch disk.

Sense I had a persistent leaking valve cover at the back that dripped oil over the Bell-housing the issue is exactly like an oil soaked clutch on a Harley.
Are you aware that Harley clutches have been running in an oil bath in the primary drive for over the last 50+ years?...
post #15 of 59 Old 05-27-2016, 08:11 PM
Deacon

2006 TJ Wrangler 

And besides, none of that adds up. What happens when you have the clutch in, to the floor, and you try to shift into gear? Does it grind? Does it sort of resist or repel you? What if you double clutch it? Put the clutch in to pull it out of gear into neutral, let the clutch out, put the clutch in to put it into gear. I'd have to do that on occasion to get it into reverse.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in