JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Oil pressure running a little high? (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/oil-pressure-running-little-high-3234073/)

Deadhorse 06-04-2015 12:47 PM

Oil pressure running a little high?

I've owned my 97 TJ for about 6-7 years and this morning I notices the oil pressure seemed to be a little high, peeking just over half way when starting from a stop and at high speed. I've never seen it do before and was wondering what could cause the sudden change, what can I check?

biffgnar 06-04-2015 12:47 PM

The sending unit

Deadhorse 06-04-2015 01:31 PM

So would it be correct to say that it's not really running high but that the sending unit is just reporting an incorrect reading?

JBTJ 06-04-2015 01:46 PM

Correct. :thumbsup:

biffgnar 06-04-2015 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadhorse (Post 30379049)
So would it be correct to say that it's not really running high but that the sending unit is just reporting an incorrect reading?

Can't say for sure, but it is common for the sending units to go bad and they are a cheap and easy first step to take. If it doesn't fix it you aren't out much time or money and you move on to other potential causes.

1 Long CJ 08-08-2015 08:00 AM

Mine's an '06 and it just started running a little high. Use to be just past the middle dot, now it runs halfway between middle dot and the next. I thought the newer model senders were basically yes or no. Why would it change by a little bit?

Deadhorse 08-08-2015 08:46 AM

Mine seems to have figured it's self out especially on long trips, I wouldn't worry about it too much but it's very easy to change and cheap if you want peace of mind.

JealousDad 08-08-2015 02:28 PM

If the gauge shows a little above half way when you are driving that is normal, and it should go down to about the 1/4 area at idle. When our sending unit went out it suddenly showed 30 or 40 lbs too high, so idle was showing around 50 and when driving it would go up to 80.
What kind of readings did you normally get?

18Fox20 08-09-2015 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1 Long CJ (Post 31369425)
Mine's an '06 and it just started running a little high. Use to be just past the middle dot, now it runs halfway between middle dot and the next. I thought the newer model senders were basically yes or no. Why would it change by a little bit?

I don't think that they are necessarily "yes or no" but they don't actively fluctuate with rpms. Mine varies following a switch to synthetic oil (winter), a different filter brand, ambient temperature, etc. It also shows lower pressure at idle as it warms up and oil thins. Always between 2nd and 3rd mark (1/2 to 3/4) though.

The story is that the actual representation of oil pressure rising and falling with rpms led lesser informed owners to believe something was wrong and were driving the techs nuts by bringing them in. Mine doesn't even show psi, just dots.

The time now is 12:47 AM.