Oil Pressure - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-21-2003, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
mking7

Oil Pressure

Next time you crank up, can someone tell me how long it takes for your oil pressure to come up? I never looked until I changed my oil for the first time this weekend and it seems to take a while to come up (like 2 seconds or so). I am comparing it to my Ford truck and the Ford comes up much faster. Or at least it seems to.

Thanks,

2003 TJ and a bunch of crap bolted on........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-21-2003, 10:38 AM
Russ-68

That's about how long mine takes...
post #3 of 8 Old 07-21-2003, 11:28 AM
easttexan54

my oil pressure has been dropping below 20 sometimes lately..is there anything i need to check...besides my oil...

post #4 of 8 Old 07-21-2003, 03:07 PM
Dee Cue

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Mine takes about 6 seconds to come up... Is this okay?

Blk, '05 LJ, 6-spd, 3" Zone SL, 33" BFG AT on Soft 8's
post #5 of 8 Old 07-24-2003, 02:54 PM
Firecat

mine does that exact same - it takes a few seconds for the pressure to come up. I know mine does dip a tad below 20 at time snad my engine on has 40k too. I think the manual states the 13 psi is satisfactory for the engine.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-24-2003, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
mking7

Quote:
Originally posted by Dee Cue
Mine takes about 6 seconds to come up... Is this okay?
When the engine is cold, it takes 2 seconds for oil pressure to START coming up. I would say 6 seconds is about what it takes for my oil pressure to come up to normal. If the engine is warm, the pressure comes up much faster since all the oil hasn't had time to drain back to the pan.

2003 TJ and a bunch of crap bolted on........
post #7 of 8 Old 07-28-2003, 10:01 PM
adiobulbu

factory gauges are not known for being the most accurate units out there. A good example is the fuel level gauge; say your tank is empty and you shut off the vehicle and fill the tank. You start it back up and the gauge sloooowly goes from empty to full. You know there is a full tank of gas but the gauge takes several seconds to register the change from empty to full. The oil pressure gauge is the same way. It is because they use an electrical sending unit just like the fuel level gauge. If you use a high quality mechanical gauge such as autometer you can start the engine and the gauge will snap to the pressure reading as soon as the pump starts building pressure. the only bad thing about the mechanical gauge is the install because you have to run a line carrying oil into the cockpit which really makes a mess if it ever develops a leak.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-29-2003, 07:31 AM
_RT_

Another piece of information I found very interesting is the +/- that is "built in" to the guages now.
Apparently, customers would show up at dealerships saying the their battery guage was *slightly* below where it normally is, or their oil pressure guage doesn't seem to be consistent. This happened so many times, that the auto companies were wasting money trying to track down a problem that wasn't there.
Now it seems car companies (most of them) build there guages to just stay in the middle of display unless there is a large change. Most people feel comfortable when there guages are all dead center. They think that is the only place they should be.

-------------------------------------
-You're my boy blue!!!!

'79 CJ-5 - 304 V-8
'03 TJ Freedom - a little smaller

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in