Oil leak from water pump. Really? - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 04-02-2020, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
gregM=1944

Oil leak from water pump. Really?

Background information:

• Subject Jeep is a 2005 Wrangler TJ/LJ with 98,500 miles on the 6-cyl, 4-liter, un-modified engine.
  • Additional information that may be relevant: On 17 January, I gently rolled my Jeep onto a "soft" sand dune. I replaced the hard top, mirrors, plastic fenders, and driver's window, but doors were not racked and everything works well now, after a bit of home-mechanic-fix-it work. (Seems I should make you aware of this recent unplanned event.)
  • Engine mounts appear to be sound and unbroken.
  • This same problem presented shortly after the rollover, but then it went away. Now it or a close cousin has returned.

Now for the problem: As the attached pictures show, engine oil is leaking from what appears to be the gasket between the water pump and engine block.

From time to time, I twist a wrench or two, but I'm not an auto-tech by even grossly relaxed standards. So analyzing this seeming enigma is beyond my understanding of the ol' "engine oil and cooling water don't mix" cosmic rule. Seems my Jeep is operating by the rules of some distant galaxy.

So my questions to you Mopar Mystics are:

• Is correct to say engine oil is leaking from the water pump?
  • If so, how does engine oil get into the cooling water?
  • What is the fix, if any?
  • Is this condition more likely the result of the roll-over or 98,500 miles?

Thank you for considering my questions.

Greg in Vegas

Attached Thumbnails
20200402_072435_resized.jpg   20200402_072358_resized.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-02-2020, 11:14 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like the pan gasket to me. Use brake/parts cleaner and clean all that crud off so you can see exactly where it's coming from. The water pump would leak antifreeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/Black Magic brakes.
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho RS5000X shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #3 of 21 Old 04-02-2020, 11:46 AM
JFM626

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Pan gasket or timing cover seal,

How can you trust an atom, they make up everything

post #4 of 21 Old 04-02-2020, 12:49 PM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looking at the grime build up on the timing case cover, #1 suspect for me would be the front crank seal.
jjandascog and Walldo like this.
post #5 of 21 Old 04-02-2020, 01:35 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

If that's an engine oil leak, why is the fluid red? A slow coolant leak will accrue dirt and look just like an oil leak given time.
BrokeJeepJoe likes this.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #6 of 21 Old 04-02-2020, 01:41 PM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Place a piece of white paper or cardboard under the motor and let it idle a bit. It will either smell like anti-freeze or the rust.sludge will be separated from the fluid and you can tell it's water...OR, you will be able to tell there's oil there, ...OR BOTH.
post #7 of 21 Old 04-02-2020, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
gregM=1944

Greetings TheBoogieman,

I'll do as you suggest and use a can or two of brake cleaner to remove the 15 years of built-up crud. Then I will watch to see from whence the leaking oil comes. Seems like a solid plan. And yep, it makes sense that antifreeze--not oil--would come out of a leaking water pump gasket. Thank you for taking time to write. Greg in Vegas
post #8 of 21 Old 04-02-2020, 04:11 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregM=1944 View Post
Greetings TheBoogieman,

I'll do as you suggest and use a can or two of brake cleaner to remove the 15 years of built-up crud. Then I will watch to see from whence the leaking oil comes. Seems like a solid plan. And yep, it makes sense that antifreeze--not oil--would come out of a leaking water pump gasket. Thank you for taking time to write. Greg in Vegas

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/Black Magic brakes.
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho RS5000X shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #9 of 21 Old 04-02-2020, 04:13 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
If that's an engine oil leak, why is the fluid red?
Maybe a squirrel got stuck up there (blood) and he didn't know it?

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
post #10 of 21 Old 04-02-2020, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
gregM=1944

Lots of good ideas and thank you.

I can't account for why the fluid in my pictures has a red tint--seems an answer to this question may lead to an explanation of the source of the problem. I changed the oil (I use Castrol Edge Titanium, 10w-30) on 8 January about 1,200 miles ago, and, when I collect some of the fluid on a white paper towel, the collected fluid has--my wife advised--a "pinkish-orange" color to it. It feels like oil, yet it is of a thin viscosity.

I'd hoped to get all this resolved before I put this ol' LJ on jack-stands and I rotate out until October 2020, but this is much more involved than I'd considered.

I will employ your advice by cleaning the pan and surrounding area, observing exact point of any leaks, and collecting fluid on white paper. I may also use tracer dye in the antifreeze or engine oil and then use a UV light to help determine if the leak is from one source or the other. But into which fluid reservoir--oil or antifreeze--to put the dye? Well, this will have to wait until I get back.

In the meantime, I will read about where to find the "front crank seal" and look at YouTube.com videos on changing the various gaskets and using dye to find the source of leaks. I can't imagine what I did with my time--or money--before I bought this ol' Wrangler.

Thank you for your ideas.

Greg in Vegas
post #11 of 21 Old 04-02-2020, 05:51 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I use brake cleaner to clean all crap and stuff paper towels anywhere I think it's leaking.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
post #12 of 21 Old 04-02-2020, 06:27 PM
bobjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That is the common drip path for the water pump. If it is the water pump you should see the trail further up. I usually see it on the driver's side of the crank shaft.

You can touch your finger to the fluid and taste it on the tip of your tongue without swallowing. Antifreeze has a distinct sweet taste, there's no mistaking it for oil. Easiest and quickest way to tell.

What color is your antifreeze?

97 TJ sport.
post #13 of 21 Old 04-02-2020, 07:38 PM
Mousejockey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

+1 on the Boogieman point

Clean clean clean, then find the source

I once had coolant dripping between the block and trans on my Durango, figured it was the expansion plug on the rear of the motor.
Long story short, timing cover leak ran along the gap between the block and head to the rear and then down
Walldo likes this.
post #14 of 21 Old 04-02-2020, 09:25 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregM=1944 View Post
I can't account for why the fluid in my pictures has a red tint--seems an answer to this question may lead to an explanation of the source of the problem. I changed the oil (I use Castrol Edge Titanium, 10w-30) on 8 January about 1,200 miles ago, and, when I collect some of the fluid on a white paper towel, the collected fluid has--my wife advised--a "pinkish-orange" color to it. It feels like oil, yet it is of a thin viscosity.
What colour is your coolant?

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #15 of 21 Old 04-02-2020, 10:37 PM
wtroger
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Power steering fluid
ibikee likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in