Is Odyssey worth the extra cost over Optima? - JeepForum.com
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 02-07-2020, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
DanJeep21
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Is Odyssey worth the extra cost over Optima?

The Battery in my LJ has decided to quit holding a charge. I've ran an Optima Red top in two prior vehicles. I sold the last one 7-8 years ago. I had no complaints on their performance. I've been reading some complaints on the Optima's with suggestions to look at Odyssey batteries.

For now no winch, aftermarket lighting or stereo. Winch will be installed sometime this summer.

Is there a benefit to go with the Odyssey vs the Optima? Is there a battery brand I've failed to look into that would be comparable?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 02-07-2020, 05:59 PM
grogie
I Like to Camp

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I’ve got a dual battery setup with two Odyssey Extreme Group 34s, as I have a fridge in my TJ. I put these in Sept. 2018.

After the original Mopar battery and adding a winch, I bought a Diehard Platinum. Which I went through two Diehards as the original one was replaced under warranty for failing to hold a charge less then two years. I later bought the fridge so I also bought a blue-top as the auxiliary battery (which has the additional studs the fridge connects too). As far as the blue-top, I right away felt like it quickly ran down like it was a used battery to begin with? There is a lot to managing a fridge's power consumption, but two nights on the blue-top was a struggle.

Anyway, what I can tell you about the Extremes is that they just seem to stay charged longer then the blue-top did (amp hours is 68 vs. 55). There have been several times where the auxiliary powering my fridge still has plenty of life two plus days later. The battery system I have is a National Luna, and although when my Jeep is parked at home I’ll plug the fridge into an outlet, the National Luna monitor continually draws power, and again they hold up well to that.

I also park my TJ over the winter, and last winter, I just unhooked the batteries and three months later, they were both still at nearly 100%. The blue-top was always nearly dead after sitting for three months. I’m no battery expert, nor do I play one on TV... just my observations as I’m so far pleased with Extremes.

(Below, the one of the left, I use as the auxiliary with the additional studs.)

Red Jeep Club #345
'06 TJ Sport -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 KJ Limited - Sold
'13 Off-Road Trailer -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 Tacoma TRD OR

"Civilization is what old men salvage
from the onslaught of young idealists.Ē Don Colacho

post #3 of 32 Old 02-07-2020, 06:32 PM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Is Odyssey worth the extra cost over Optima?

Iíll personally never buy another Optima. The first one I owned years and years ago lasted a long, long time - very happy with it. The next one failed after a little over a year, replaced under warranty, and that one failed in under two years. That coincided with Optima being acquired by Johnson Controls and the production being moved to Mexico. That is the point everyone talks about the quality going out the window. I now run a Diehard Platinum AGM in the Jeep, and I love that one. However, I donít believe they are sold under the Diehard brand any longer - but if I recall correctly they were made by Odyssey all along.

I now run two large Odysseyís in my tow rig, and they crank over that big diesel without effort. When the Diehard dies in the Jeep, it is definitely getting an Odyssey.
WSS likes this.

Build Thread:

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

post #4 of 32 Old 02-07-2020, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
DanJeep21
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Ironically that is exactly the same type of stories I've been reading on the Optima batteries. Food for thought. Thank you.
post #5 of 32 Old 02-07-2020, 09:27 PM
53flattie

1936 CJ2A 

I went with an X2 Power from Batteries Plus. From what I read, they are close to an Odyssey, but a little cheaper. I think my total was about $260 out the door, with a $30 rebate that arrived about 4 weeks later.

I have only had it about 6 weeks, but Iím pleased so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 32 Old 02-07-2020, 11:35 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

After 3 Optimas failed prematurely I wouldn't run another Optima if it was given to me free. Their formerly excellent quality went into the toilet after they were purchased by Johnson Controls who immediately moved Optima's manufacturing to Mexico where they stopped using pure lead.

Go Odyssey for sure. My Odyssey-made Diehard Platinum lasted ten years before it finally failed. Only because I couldn't find a local Odyssey I now run a NorthStar which is apparently the same battery inside. It's case is a virtual identical clone of my former Diehard Platinum.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #7 of 32 Old 02-08-2020, 12:19 AM
Tarneg
2001 TJ Wrangler 

As others have said the old red tops were amazing and I currently have on that is like 18 years old and still holds a charge for months but the newer ones always fail easily and within the year mark. Now I have odyssey extremes in 3 vehicles atm. my daily little car cause the batter is in the trunk and I wanted more power for 0 degree weather days my offroad monster has 2 of them with only 1 minor issue and my dads jeep had one that got used real hard and held up. my small issue was with a dual terminal one (on top and on the side) now this model had the side terminals "hanging" off the batter case.... hard to explain but they were not hard cast into the case but had a 2 inch long black plastic encased elbow ( im guessing a lead lead or some such) and they were free floating and it would randomly lose connection internally with the tiny bit of wiggling it could do. was a nightmare to diagnose why the truck would just die and or not start sometimes. other wise they have held up great. now my dads battery was used for 2 straight days of winching in a dead truck ( he blew his motor) it was tag teamed with a second winch (mine also odyssey battery but running truck) and after a few hours winching the battery finally died but after sitting for 15 ish hours it was stuck on a battery charger and it came back just fine and still works today (few years later). I have also driven home on my battery roughly 120 miles with headlights on in the dead of night and a dead alternator.

so they do cost a pretty penny but so far have done me good overall.
Jerry Bransford likes this.
post #8 of 32 Old 02-08-2020, 12:40 AM
jgarden

Other option is an interestate from Costco. It has a 42 month warranty. Bring it back for a free replacement every 36 months. Never pay for another battery.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

98 Wrangler
NRA Life Member
post #9 of 32 Old 02-08-2020, 06:14 AM
bobjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarden View Post
Other option is an interestate from Costco. It has a 42 month warranty. Bring it back for a free replacement every 36 months. Never pay for another battery.

And you will be the reason why they stop doing this. Particularly because you post it on the internet. You're stealing and making things more expensive for everyone else.

97 TJ sport.
post #10 of 32 Old 02-08-2020, 06:32 AM
BlueFl.Wrangler
Supporting Member

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
And you will be the reason why they stop doing this. Particularly because you post it on the internet. You're stealing and making things more expensive for everyone else.
Doubt it- this site isnt even viewed by 1% of the country-let alone the world
And not everyone on the forum alone will click on this thred

Besides all of that-- corporate management/bean counters takes that into account

How high is that horse you are riding on?

Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions

Winston Churchill
post #11 of 32 Old 02-08-2020, 07:11 AM
jgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
LMAO, ya think so?

You think my post will be the end of battery warranties?

You're probably right, this is likely the first post on an internet forum where someone discussed such a thing.

I'm so sorry for ruining this for everyone.

BlueFl.Wrangler likes this.

98 Wrangler
NRA Life Member
post #12 of 32 Old 02-08-2020, 07:24 AM
SkylinesSuck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Very happy with my Odyssey battery. I've only had it a couple of years but it's always impressed me with how quickly it cranks compared to every other battery I've ever had including Optimas.

'98 Sahara w/AX15 & 4.6L stroker, 2.5" OME lift, 32" BFG M/T's, 8.8 w/Detroit Trutracs & 4.10's F&R
post #13 of 32 Old 02-08-2020, 07:29 AM
bobjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFl.Wrangler View Post
Doubt it- this site isnt even viewed by 1% of the country-let alone the world
And not everyone on the forum alone will click on this thred

Besides all of that-- corporate management takes that into account

How high is that horse you are riding on?
He is advising stealing. Advising against that does not put someone on a high horse. He and everyone like him who do this and advise it on the internet ruin warranties for everyone else. Yeah, corporate does account for this by making the rest of us pay for his batteries.
Jerry Bransford and WSS like this.

97 TJ sport.
post #14 of 32 Old 02-08-2020, 07:36 AM
bobjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarden View Post
LMAO, ya think so?

You think my post will be the end of battery warranties?

You're probably right, this is likely the first post on an internet forum where someone discussed such a thing.

I'm so sorry for ruining this for everyone.

No, your post alone will not be the end of warranties. Your actions and those like you ruin warranties and drive prices for everyone else.

I'm simply advising that you not steal, not post about it on the internet, and not advise others to do the same. That is unreasonable to you?
Jerry Bransford likes this.

97 TJ sport.
post #15 of 32 Old 02-08-2020, 10:13 AM
willis36
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53flattie View Post
I went with an X2 Power from Batteries Plus. From what I read, they are close to an Odyssey, but a little cheaper. I think my total was about $260 out the door, with a $30 rebate that arrived about 4 weeks later.

I have only had it about 6 weeks, but Iím pleased so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have had that same battery in mine for almost two years now. I dont drive my Tj all that much, maybe once a month. I dont keep a charger on it or anything like that and it fires right up with authority ever time I get in it. Plus there are batteries plus stores everywhere should there be a problem. Hrdly any Oddessy dealers in my area so theres also that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in