OBA Help! Will this work? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-29-2008, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
2006LJRubicon

2006 LJ Wrangler 

OBA Help! Will this work?

I saved this from our annual garage cleaning. Can i use this canister for my OBA? If so, what kind of regulator do i need to purchase. Thanks

2006 Black Unlimited Rubicon---RE 5.5 LA Tri Rear---JKS ACOSs frt and rear---Kilby Rocker Knockers---Rampage Bumpers with Rear Tire Carrier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-29-2008, 11:53 PM
HankyDanky

1989 XJ Cherokee 

Are you talking about CO2 or using compressed air for it? Ex. Viair air pump or AC compressor.

You can use alot of things for an air canister.. keg shell, fire extinguisher, sealed bumper/rock slider. But it is important to know the PSI rating. For CO2 it looks pretty good.

http://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/ultima...it-p-3493.html - Just to give ya an idea.

1989 Cherokee 4.0l, Rubicon Express 4.5" XJ Super-Flex System, 33x12.50x15 KM2's

The XJ Rebuild-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People are always grabbing the handles, clutching the seat, or stomping an imaginary brake peddle when we're out having fun.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-30-2008, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
2006LJRubicon

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Just to air up the tires. I grabbed this scuba diving tank before it met its maker. I want to have somethat will work but i dont want to have to spend an arm and leg.

2006 Black Unlimited Rubicon---RE 5.5 LA Tri Rear---JKS ACOSs frt and rear---Kilby Rocker Knockers---Rampage Bumpers with Rear Tire Carrier

post #4 of 5 Old 10-30-2008, 09:07 AM
CrawlinLJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I used a scuba tank for a few years to air up my tires. From the looks of the picture the tank has a few years on it. If you keep the scuba valve on it , a scuba shop can fill it but it has to be in hydro and visually current. This can cost from $20 to $40 to have done...The tricky part is finding a scuba yoke with the fittings for a regulator to bring the pressure down to a safe range to fill tire or operate some tools. A welding shop I doubt will have a scuba yoke adapter to fill the tank and then you have to change to valve too. I believe the CO2 thread is diffenerent than the Scuba tank size. Just take the tank to a welding suppply and tell the guy what you want to do. He may have the valve that fits the top of the tank that all of the appropriate regulators can screw into and you will be good to go.

2006 Rubicon LJ, 4.0 liter, 4 speed automatic, 5.5" Rubicon Express, 37" x 12.5" Krawlers on Champion Beadlocks, Dynatrac Pro-Rock 60 axles/5.13 ratio w/ high steering kit, Dyna-Loc front hubs, J.E. Reel 1350 cv drivelines, Atlas 4 speed/5.38:1, Walker Evans Shocks, PSC Hydraulic Assist steering, Nth Degree Oil Pan and Transmission Skid, Premier Power Welder, Kilby On Board Air, Warn 9500si, Dual Optimas, Hansen Front Bumber, All J Products Rear Bumper & Boulder Bars, PIAA Driving Lights, Rock Lights, Ham Radio, CB, Garmin 76cs GPS,Wet-Okeole seat covers
post #5 of 5 Old 10-30-2008, 09:11 AM
jeeptp75

I 2nd that, I really think the hardest thing for you is going to be the threading on the scuba tank and fitting tha the threading of a regulator. As far as age and PSI, do you plan on filling it with an on board air compressor or filling it as needed from a garage air compressor, either way you will probubly only need about 200 psi if that regulated down to fill your tires or run air tools. The tank is probubly rated for much higher than that it just might be out of date. You could still have it retested just to be safe but I doubt you'll need to based on how much pressure your really going to be putting into it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in