NV3550 Venting Oil? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-26-2019, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
TheFreedombird
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
NV3550 Venting Oil?

I recently swapped my AX15 out for a remanned NV3550. Been driving it for a couple of days now and kept smelling a little bit oil burning and chalked it up to be oil that had ended up on the exterior of something burning off during the swap. I came to that conclusion because I could see any new oil spots anywhere. Then today I was driving and suddenly had smoke coming through my floor pan. I am not familiar with NV3550's but the research I had done I was able to locate what I believe to be the vent. There aren't any blown gaskets and fluid appears to be coming out of nowhere. The highest wet spot is where the vent is. If I had overfilled it with trans oil is it possible the pressure inside could have forced some fluid out the vent?

A smart man learns from his own mistakes. A wise man learns from others mistakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-26-2019, 11:34 AM
dbbd1
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Where did you get the NV 3550 from?

Why did you swap out AX-15?
I'd like to swap one into my '06.

The opinions of worthless people, are worthless.

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

Society is no match for a stupid person.

"Life Is tough but it is tougher when you are stupid"

-John Wayne
post #3 of 4 Old 03-26-2019, 11:49 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Overfilling is easy to check and correct. Pull the fill plug, let excess run out, reinstall fill plug when no more runs out. Level ground, btw.

Do you have the vent tube in place and running up to the left radiator support.

Also, what fluid did you use, synchromesh compatible ??

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx

post #4 of 4 Old 03-26-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
TheFreedombird
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
2jhanna I did use synchromesh compatible and thank you for the advice. Now time to find a 17 mm hex.
dbb1 The swap was because my ax15 was out of a 92 Dakota from a scrap yard. It is the one from my auto to man conversion. At the time I didn't have the money for a new trans then a couple of weeks ago a bearing or two blew up and the gears ate it all up.

A smart man learns from his own mistakes. A wise man learns from others mistakes

Tags
nv3550 , tj , vent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in