nv3550 - loose shifter - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 10-21-2008, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
imbezol

2004 TJ Wrangler 

nv3550 - loose shifter

My shifter is loose and sloppy. When I let go it will fall to the left or right or front or back. It doesn't spring to the middle. This makes it very difficult to find the correct gear on occasion.

I found this page with an exploded view of the tranny.. but I'm still at a loss as to what would cause this. Ideas?

http://www.crownautomotive.net/catal...on/NV3550.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-21-2008, 04:38 PM
flatlander757

2003 TJ Wrangler 

That's because the transmission internals aren't the problem, it's the shifter assembly itself.

I have no idea if the NV3550 has a shifter like the SM465, but I'm pretty sure this article is of more help to you than that drawing:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...465/index.html

My shifter has just a tiny bit of play in it as well, I haven't looked real hard under the boot to see what's up just yet.

SOLDThe lumbering steel-laden pig - 2003 TJ - 40" LTBs - D60/D70HD - 5.86s - Detroit lockers - 110" wheelbase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
post #3 of 17 Old 10-21-2008, 04:42 PM
grinwa

1999 TJ Wrangler 

This is a long shot. From what I remember about other tranny shifters is there is a bushing at the end of the shifter. Pull the shift from the top of the tranny and see if the bushing is there or wornout. It is worth a shot. I went to the link you have posted but couldn't tell if the NV3550 has it or not. If you go to the AX-15 you can see it. Piece #5.

'99 TJ

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

post #4 of 17 Old 10-21-2008, 05:38 PM
BlueFlame

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I second the possibility that it's a bushing on the bottom end of the shifter rod.

If I remember I'll look at my old one tonight.

I think you'd have to have 3 or 4 bad return or detent springs inside the trans for that to be the problem - too unlikely.

|
|
post #5 of 17 Old 10-22-2008, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
imbezol

2004 TJ Wrangler 

BlueFlame - did you get a chance to take a look at yours?

I'm hoping I'll have time to look at mine this weekend.

post #6 of 17 Old 10-22-2008, 02:04 PM
BlueFlame

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I couldnt find it anywhere. It's in Hurst box, but nowhere to be found. Can't imagine I sold it, and I don't throw anything away.
(I blame Mrs Flame, she has this psychopathic need to 'organise'....)

The FSM shows the bottom of the shifter is a round thing that fits into a round 'cup' but I sure don't remember that mine looked like that. I seem to remember it was just metal. (but I can visualize the RF150F - same as AX-15 - had many of those apart.)

|
|
post #7 of 17 Old 10-22-2008, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
imbezol

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have a pic of mine from when I did my clutch last year.. but I didn't think there was that much wear on it. I'll have to pop it out again and take a look I guess.

post #8 of 17 Old 10-22-2008, 02:25 PM
BlueFlame

2003 TJ Wrangler 

According to the service manual there is nothing serviceable about the shifter assembly.
But I can't believe you can't get a replacement for that bushing.
For the Yota RF150 only the dealer had it, no auto parts stores carried it. Friggin $8.

|
|
post #9 of 17 Old 10-22-2008, 02:45 PM
BlazinJack
2006 TJ Wrangler 

on Big trucks, what your referring to is called a shifter isolator (bushing) and on some you have to replace the entire stick, as the bushing is very difficult or impossible to remove. could be why its a "non servicable" item.
post #10 of 17 Old 10-22-2008, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
imbezol

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well I called the dealer and the parts guy wasn't all that helpful. He said that plastic piece on the bottom and the isolator that goes inside it are both in stock, but just the black plastic piece on the outside is $57. I didn't catch the cost on the piece inside it but already decided that was too much.

I made an appointment with the service department to let them fix it for me under warranty instead of getting raped. I better not get a bill out of this because the guy at the service desk, who was supposed to be able to tell me if I was covered or not, was dumber than a ****ing pineapple. Wreckless cluelessness. He even finished the call by saying "So we'll see you and your Patriot on Tuesday".

post #11 of 17 Old 06-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Mystifire
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbezol View Post
My shifter is loose and sloppy. When I let go it will fall to the left or right or front or back. It doesn't spring to the middle. This makes it very difficult to find the correct gear on occasion.
Any luck getting this figured out? My brother is looking at a 2000 TJ Sport with 90k miles on it and he says it has a similar issue. He says the stick lays lazily with regards to up-down movement when in neutral.

He also says that the stick tends to get hung up when moving the shifter left-right while shifting gears, almost like he is having problems finding the clear left-right neutral path we all slap back and forth.

Other than that issue, he says the transmission shifts into gear like butter and appears to be in good mechanical shape.

Anyone know how likely it is that the isolator and isolator bushing are the issue here and how much these parts cost from Jeep? I saw that the isolator was quoted at $57 by imbezol but could anyone verify/update this along with the price for the bushing?

Thanks!
post #12 of 17 Old 06-11-2009, 02:45 PM
jonlanham

i took my shifter out when i was going to try and change my clutch and nothing was wrong with it when i took it apart. i put it all back in and boom i got all kinds of play in it. i am going to take it back apart and see what i may have done but this happened to a perfectly good smooth shifter and all i did was take it apart and put it back together. May be a certain way of setting them back in that i missed. if by chance i figure it out i will let you know.
post #13 of 17 Old 06-14-2009, 06:27 PM
peejsdrawkcab
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I would like an update as well. Tired of the sloppy shifter.

Never trust anything that bleeds for 5 days and does not die!
post #14 of 17 Old 08-03-2011, 08:15 PM
grebva3

2013 JK Wrangler 

Bump

I have the same issue

_ONLY IN A_
|_Jeep_|
(OlllllllO)
post #15 of 17 Old 08-04-2011, 07:49 AM
grebva3

2013 JK Wrangler 

Notice the plastic "bushing" it was sitting on top of the transmission. After messing with it, and placing it on the "T" part (left side) it took the looseness away! Glad it was on top of trAnny never would have guessed otherwise.
Attached Thumbnails
image-1898410835.jpg   image-3234609113.jpg   image-464016623.jpg  

_ONLY IN A_
|_Jeep_|
(OlllllllO)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in