Not your typical blinker problem - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 10-23-2010, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Not your typical blinker problem

I hate Jeep blinkers. A couple months a go I replaced my blinker switch because the auto cancel was broken (still doesn't auto cancel when turning left, only right) and the left signal would turn on with brake. Replacing the switch solved the problems, except for the one.

Anyway, not to long ago I started having erratic blinker problems. It only happens to the left blinker. What happens is when I turn it on it will blink fast, like it does when the brake lights aren't working, but it only happens in the mornings. It will blink fast, sometimes it will even fluctuate in speed.

I don't think it's the bulb, and the only other thing I could think of was moisture in the mornings.

Any other ideas?

P.S. while I'm at it, anyone have some ideas on why the auto cancel doesn't work when turning left? I had done some searching about it at one point but didn't turn up much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-23-2010, 06:59 PM
scottbr

2016 JK Wrangler 

Sometimes my left blinker goes on when I hit the brakes. I think it's a wiring problem, there might be a friction point inside the harness that wears to the point that it does that. If it's not in the connector to the taillight or turn light, I'd say drop it, you'll go crazy chasing it.

My cancel cam doesn't work when I turn right. It's somehow gotten off-center, I think you have to take the column apart to get to it.
post #3 of 18 Old 10-23-2010, 07:01 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'd bet you have corrosion on the bulb contacts and/or grounds for your light assemblies. Try pulling the bulbs, cleaning the sockets and cleaning up the grounds.

For the auto cancel your best bet is to pull the switch again and inspect for broken parts or possibly the little return springs popped off.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon

post #4 of 18 Old 10-23-2010, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbr View Post
Sometimes my left blinker goes on when I hit the brakes. I think it's a wiring problem, there might be a friction point inside the harness that wears to the point that it does that. If it's not in the connector to the taillight or turn light, I'd say drop it, you'll go crazy chasing it.

My cancel cam doesn't work when I turn right. It's somehow gotten off-center, I think you have to take the column apart to get to it.
Should probably check to see if the light is even working or it's just in the dash.

Ugh, tearing into the steering wheel sounds fun. If I turn the steering wheel left all the way, then it will cancel, so that sounds right. What ever mechanism in the steering column isn't working on the left side, and when the wheel turns 360 the right side mechanism catches it.

Thanks for the info.
post #5 of 18 Old 10-23-2010, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
I'd bet you have corrosion on the bulb contacts and/or grounds for your light assemblies. Try pulling the bulbs, cleaning the sockets and cleaning up the grounds.

For the auto cancel your best bet is to pull the switch again and inspect for broken parts or possibly the little return springs popped off.
I'll check all the bulbs. Might be a good excuse to switch to LED bulbs. I replaced switched all the interior lights to LEDs and am very happy with it.

I know for sure it isn't the switch. When I replaced it, the cancel mechanism in the switch worked perfectly and has never canceled left the second I put it in.

edit: When I say the switched worked perfectly, before I installed it I checked the mechanism.
post #6 of 18 Old 10-23-2010, 08:27 PM
VT_Jeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

I'm not sure if this will help your problem but.....I just fixed a similar problem yesterday thanks to the guys on this forum. Out of the blue I started having blinker problems, right blinker blinking fast, dim tail..brake and reverse lights on the passenger rear. I thought it was the trailer wiring harness. I finally got that unplugged and they were still messed up. Anyway..I read a post on here of a guy having the similar problems...it was suggested to him to check the three bolts that hold the rear lights to the body have like a "rubber" washer on them.

I thought to myself...way to easy of a fix. I went and took the bolts out and sure enough there was a clear rubber washer on the bolts. I took all of them off and presto...everything works fine..they just weren't getting the right grounding contact that they needed..I guess.

Hope this might help!

'06 sport, 4"RC, 33" BFG m/t's, Warn, LoD, AtoZ, lights, skids and other goodies...
post #7 of 18 Old 10-23-2010, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT_Jeeper View Post
I'm not sure if this will help your problem but.....I just fixed a similar problem yesterday thanks to the guys on this forum. Out of the blue I started having blinker problems, right blinker blinking fast, dim tail..brake and reverse lights on the passenger rear. I thought it was the trailer wiring harness. I finally got that unplugged and they were still messed up. Anyway..I read a post on here of a guy having the similar problems...it was suggested to him to check the three bolts that hold the rear lights to the body have like a "rubber" washer on them.

I thought to myself...way to easy of a fix. I went and took the bolts out and sure enough there was a clear rubber washer on the bolts. I took all of them off and presto...everything works fine..they just weren't getting the right grounding contact that they needed..I guess.

Hope this might help!

'06 sport, 4"RC, 33" BFG m/t's, Warn, LoD, AtoZ, lights, skids and other goodies...
Hmm, I'll have to look into this. I've been taking my tail lights off a LOT because I'm repainting the Jeep, so maybe something got messed up.
post #8 of 18 Old 10-23-2010, 09:31 PM
MikeyJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a bad ground somewhere or your clockspring in your steering wheel is bad.
post #9 of 18 Old 10-24-2010, 07:46 AM
er2ergrn
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Been having the same problem with erratic blinker on left side. What I found was the socket was corroded and bad contacts. The socket can be disconnected from the wiring harness and I am going to order a new one in morning. I am sure this is probably a stealership only item.

Unless someone happens to know about somewhere else?
post #10 of 18 Old 10-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Tjosh97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have the same problem on my 97 and still have not fixed it, what can you use to clean out the sockets? Terminal cleaner or something to eat any corrosion?

Beep Beep, who got da keys to the JEEP???
Red Jeep Club #556 - "DA 4-$LANGER"
1997 Flame Red TJ 4-Banger (2.5L) 4.0 TB 62mm Bored w/ Spacer -- 31x10.50 D. Cepek "Crushers" -- 15" Black Rock Crawlers -- AEM DryFlow -- Dynomax Super Turbo Cat-Back -- EBC Brake System -- Rough Country 2.5" Lift w/ Discos -- RC Adj Track Bars -- Currie HD Steering -- Rugged Ridge Diff Covers - DDM 6000K HID
post #11 of 18 Old 10-24-2010, 11:08 AM
Tjosh97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by er2ergrn View Post
What I found was the socket was corroded and bad contacts.
Can you post a pic?

1997 Flame Red TJ 4-Banger (2.5L) 4.0 TB 62mm Bored w/ Spacer -- 31x10.50 D. Cepek "Crushers" -- 15" Black Rock Crawlers -- AEM DryFlow -- Dynomax Super Turbo Cat-Back -- EBC Brake System -- Rough Country 2.5" Lift w/ Discos -- RC Adj Track Bars -- Currie HD Steering -- Rugged Ridge Diff Covers - DDM 6000K HID
post #12 of 18 Old 10-24-2010, 12:12 PM
er2ergrn
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjosh97 View Post
Can you post a pic?
We already put everything back together, next time I will take pics. We cleaned it with WD-40 and cleaned the contacts with a q-tip and put it back together and wiggled the bulb until it blinked correctly and then reinstalled it and it is working right now but I am sure I will need to get a replacement soon.

Oh, be very careful when cleaning the brass contacts. I put very little pressure on them and they bent over very easy!
post #13 of 18 Old 10-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Tjosh97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by er2ergrn View Post
We already put everything back together, next time I will take pics. We cleaned it with WD-40 and cleaned the contacts with a q-tip and put it back together and wiggled the bulb until it blinked correctly and then reinstalled it and it is working right now but I am sure I will need to get a replacement soon.

Oh, be very careful when cleaning the brass contacts. I put very little pressure on them and they bent over very easy!
Thx, Im gona try to go thru and clean thoroughly to make sure this wont fix my prob too.

post #14 of 18 Old 10-24-2010, 12:54 PM
Chiles

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hand signals.

/l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_)-()_)-o-)_)
post #15 of 18 Old 10-24-2010, 01:03 PM
hefightsfire

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjosh97 View Post
I have the same problem on my 97 and still have not fixed it, what can you use to clean out the sockets? Terminal cleaner or something to eat any corrosion?
Alcohol preps work well. May have to work them in on the tip of something but they will clean it up nicely.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in