LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 37 Old 02-18-2010, 01:31 PM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkSurf View Post
Ha. I'll accept fault on that one.
(JK) and that's not an 07-10' Jeep wrangler.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 37 Old 02-18-2010, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
HawkSurf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05jeeper View Post
I think I would try to isolate if its compressor or electrical first. I think the easiest way to do this is to pull the belt and see if it goes away.
Pull the belt? What would that do exactly?
post #18 of 37 Old 02-18-2010, 01:34 PM
jeepinmichguy_

2006 TJ Wrangler 

i bet its the compressor. just a hunch though. i dont see the electronics causing a shake.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.

post #19 of 37 Old 02-18-2010, 01:37 PM
Zen
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Pull the belt? What would that do exactly?
If the problem is the compressor siezing up, the problem will go away when he removes the belt because the compressor will not put any strain on the engine.

Dont run the engine for too long like this or it will overheat. This should be a quick test.

-Darkstar, judy-judy. I'm going in for guns.
--
-Stick, splash one!
post #20 of 37 Old 02-18-2010, 01:39 PM
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Call it a car all you want. Some thin skinned people just like to get their panties in a wad because they can't accept the fact that their Jeep is a "car" just like some bike riders can't accept the fact that a Harley is a "motorcycle".

I really doubt it's electrical. The only electrical aspect of this is when the switch activates the clutch which makes the compressor spin. Check the compressor and its bracket.

Keep in mind that free advice can frequently be worth less than you pay for it.
post #21 of 37 Old 02-18-2010, 01:39 PM
TJorDie
2003 TJ Wrangler 

By chance was this Jeep a salvage title?

'03 Rubicon. Inca Gold. Auto, Full Doors / OEM Hard & Soft Tops, All stock..... Hot Wife Mod
post #22 of 37 Old 02-18-2010, 01:40 PM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy View Post
i bet its the compressor. just a hunch though. i dont see the electronics causing a shake.
What about if he rides really fat girls around when the A/C is cut on? Violent shake.
post #23 of 37 Old 02-18-2010, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
HawkSurf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJorDie View Post
By chance was this Jeep a salvage title?
Nope. Bought her new.
post #24 of 37 Old 02-18-2010, 01:41 PM
pielet97
2006 LJ Wrangler 

$20 bucks on the compressor, who ever you asked in your town, don't ever ask them for auto advice again.

I require things to do.
post #25 of 37 Old 02-18-2010, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
HawkSurf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pielet97 View Post
$20 bucks on the compressor
$20 on the compressor? Is that a repair estimate?
post #26 of 37 Old 02-18-2010, 01:42 PM
jeepinmichguy_

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What about if he rides really fat girls around when the A/C is cut on? Violent shake.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
post #27 of 37 Old 02-18-2010, 01:50 PM
jgorm
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
$20 on the compressor? Is that a repair estimate?
haha you wish! My friend was quoted $1200 for the AC on his van. They said that compressors don't usually freeze up unless there is a blockage in the system. then you need all the ac crap redone. There are 2 basic things that i would expect to cause this.
1. A compressor that is on its way out and "freezing" up a little to put excessive load on the engine. If you pull the belt off and run it for a few seconds you will know if that is the cause.
2. A bad or dirty IAC valve. If its old or sticky, or full of crap it won't work properly to add more air to compensate for the higher load with the ac on.

A long shot would be that you have bad 02 sensors, or a vacuum leak causing the AFR to be outside of the normal range and not run as well. But then it wouldn't run perfect with the ac off.
post #28 of 37 Old 02-18-2010, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
HawkSurf
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post
haha you wish! My friend was quoted $1200 for the AC on his van. They said that compressors don't usually freeze up unless there is a blockage in the system. then you need all the ac crap redone. There are 2 basic things that i would expect to cause this.
1. A compressor that is on its way out and "freezing" up a little to put excessive load on the engine. If you pull the belt off and run it for a few seconds you will know if that is the cause.
2. A bad or dirty IAC valve. If its old or sticky, or full of crap it won't work properly to add more air to compensate for the higher load with the ac on.

A long shot would be that you have bad 02 sensors, or a vacuum leak causing the AFR to be outside of the normal range and not run as well. But then it wouldn't run perfect with the ac off.
Darn......
post #29 of 37 Old 02-18-2010, 01:55 PM
BWFBezerk

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
If the problem is the compressor siezing up, the problem will go away when he removes the belt because the compressor will not put any strain on the engine.

Dont run the engine for too long like this or it will overheat. This should be a quick test.
Why would it overheat? Our 2.4 water pumps are timing belt driven thank you very much

You can pull the belt and drive around til the battery dies.
post #30 of 37 Old 02-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Darn......
is it still under warranty? take it to Jeep and have them figure it out. even estimates should be free for most shops...

Useful Write-Ups:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:

Tags
a/c , acceleration , rumbling , shaking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in