Newbie TJ build - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 71 Old 10-11-2008, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Peanut72
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Newbie TJ build

Well, this should be interesting, but Im starting from ground up, soI thought I would start a new thread so you guys could follow the build from the start. Im sure its going to be a long, long road filled with many questions, but I will be using this as sort of a journal for the build.

Just a little background, I have a 98 TJ that I wrecked labor day weekend. I missed a stop sign late at night and hit a rock imbankment head on at about 30 MPH. Had a some frame damage and busted up the engine, busted the front suspension, and some other stuff. The only body parts damaged were the fenders and bumper, somehow. All of the grill, hood and the rest of the front end came out unscratched.

To the point of all of this, I was able to pick up a straight frame from a theft recovery. I am patiently awaiting its arrival today. I will post pics as it comes along. I don't really have tons of spare time, so it will take a long time im sure. Here are a few pics of the jeep as it is now.

Todd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 10-11-2008, 10:38 AM
Squeeky

whoa...that's one messed up jeep. You must have gone up on the rock cause the whole front end is turned upward. Good luck with the build!!!
post #3 of 71 Old 10-11-2008, 12:51 PM
JeSimmers

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, good luck, this should be a good build. What are your long term plans for the final product?

Red Jeep Club Member #454

post #4 of 71 Old 10-11-2008, 12:57 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Didn't you have insurance?Trash it and buy another one.That's messed up.
post #5 of 71 Old 10-11-2008, 02:02 PM
ScottHarr_TJ

2010 WK 

this is gonna be interesting to read on. good luck man, i'l be crawlin it

00' TJ-sold
'10 WK
Blue Jeep Club Memeber #132?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 71 Old 10-11-2008, 02:04 PM
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theboogieman View Post
Didn't you have insurance?Trash it and buy another one.That's messed up.
screw that build away, do something sweet while its apart

post #7 of 71 Old 10-11-2008, 02:06 PM
JeSimmers

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnEmOvr View Post
screw that build away, do something sweet while its apart
Thats what I'm saying also, insurance money=awesome trail rig!

Red Jeep Club Member #454
post #8 of 71 Old 10-11-2008, 02:11 PM
Bitzorock
2006 LJ Wrangler 

my question is, how did you miss the sign? lol, was there a naked girl jogging down the street?

Richard Clark
06 Wrangler Unlimited
post #9 of 71 Old 10-11-2008, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Peanut72
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well the frame arrived right on schedule. It looks to be in good shape, needs a good cleaning tho. Not sure how long it will before I get started, but im sure its gonna be a long build. I will be sure to put up as many pics as possible.

Squeeky, I didnt go up it any, there was a ditch between the rock embankment and the road so the final resting spot had the front end pointed somewhat downward. There was a spot that stuck out at the bottom of the embankment just at bumper height and the brunt of the hit was directly to the right side of the front bumper. Next time I am down that way I will snap a pic of the embankment and post it.

Bitzorock, I missed the sign because I...um...er...uh, lets just call it a bad judgement call that night.

As for the goal of the build, not 100% on that just yet. I am sure I will dissapoint some, but Im not planning on building anything really big. I dont do much wheeling so it stays on the blacktop most of the time. I do have a few ideas, but not exactly sure what i will do at this point. I originally wanted to drop in a V8, but after reading here the time, trouble and expence involved, I have pretty much just decided to drop another 4.0 back in it. The one in it is pretty much shot. As of right now, I am looking at the 2.5 RC lift and a 1.25 body lift and put a set of 33s under it, if they will fit. Gonna pull the carpet out of it and spray the entire tub with the U-Pol spray liner. Im open to suggestions, just keep in mind that Im not looking to build a monster and I am on a budget.

I just hope Im not getting entirely over my head. I have decent backyard mechanical skills, but I'm far from a mechanic.

oh yeah, how do you put more than one quote in one reply?

Todd
post #10 of 71 Old 10-11-2008, 04:47 PM
Squeeky

...tell me you weren't drunk driving....
post #11 of 71 Old 10-11-2008, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Peanut72
1998 TJ Wrangler 

na, more so due to just not having my head on. was just a bad day all together and just wasnt paying any attention to what was going on around me. Had that been the case, the State police and the county cop that showed up just minutes afterward wouldnt have liked me so much. they did get a little upset with me because I ran down to my uncle's house to get him to help me pull it out of the ditch before the law got there. Well, they were just a little quicker than I was. That is the first thing that everyone says, especially since I have been down that road thousands of times.
post #12 of 71 Old 10-12-2008, 12:39 PM
tatooweeny
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut72 View Post
Bitzorock, I missed the sign because I...um...er...uh, lets just call it a bad judgement call that night.

Todd
+ + : =
post #13 of 71 Old 10-12-2008, 01:08 PM
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

to do more then one qute hit the button between quote and the piece of paper, when you hold mouse over it will say multi-quote this message,

also how far from cincy are you? ill help for some pizza and pop

post #14 of 71 Old 04-27-2009, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Peanut72
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Its been a long time coming, but Im finally getting started getting the Jeep back on the road. The wifes care blew up the other day so I got the green light. This is going to be a complete learning as I go type thing because I have never attempted something so technical before. I dont really have any huge plans for the build, mainly just get it back on the road. Funds greatly decide what does and doesnt go on. I found an engine with only 35K on it for a pretty decent price (only $425 with exchange), so Im going to go try to pick up next week.

Here is a quick list of what is on my mind right now:

-Replace bent frame
-Rough Country 2.5 with 1.25 body (may just stick with the .75 body lift not sure yet)
-set of 33X12.50's under it
-have to replace damaged engine. going back with another 4.0 for ease of installation.
-Herculine tub

Thats all that I really have planned for the time being, Like I said nothing really big. There may be some other things that need replacing and will be upgraded as needed once I get into putting it all back together.

Today was the first day of the teardown. I managed to get the seats, console and carpet out, both fenders assemblies off and the grill and radiator out. This gave me a good look at what the frame looked like and it had several bends and twists in it. Otherwise, looks like most of the front end faired pretty well. T-case is leaking a little oil, so Im mildly concerned about that. All of the steering components looked ok, but an alignment will tell the truth on that. Radiator and alternator are shot, but most of the rest looks to be ok. Plan on pulling the motor and tranny on Sunday.

Here are a few shots at the end of day one:

Todd

Last edited by Peanut72; 04-29-2009 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Added pics
post #15 of 71 Old 05-04-2009, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Peanut72
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well, after the third day of random work, I finally got the engine, tranny and transfer case pulled. It all came out relatively easy, much to my surprise. Man, is the frame damage really starting to come more and more noticeable with every piece that comes off. Now I can really see the bends in the frame. Both motor mounts were broken off, the drivers side is still in good shape, just snapped all the bolts off but one, but the passenger side broke completely off and has a crack in it.

Next on the list is to get the front and rear axles out from under it. That step will probably take a little while as I need to get the frame cleaned up and painted before I start putting it all back together. It has a little surface rust on it, but nothing bad. I did notice however that I may run into a problem with motor mounts on the new frame. they appear to be back further than what is on the other frame. It looks like I ended up with a frame that had a 4 cyl in it. If I am correct, the motor mounts are in different locations for each engine. What other problems could I expect to run into if that is the case?

Anyway, here are a couple shot of the engine coming out and a barren front end.

old engine and new frame

Last edited by Peanut72; 05-04-2009 at 08:14 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in