New tube fenders 2wire led problems - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 04-24-2020, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
BOATY2M
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
New tube fenders 2wire led problems

Believe it or not I've been searching for the last few days with not much luck. I just installed AEG tube fenders and they came with the 2 wire 3/4" led lights. How the heck can I wire these in? What wires go to what wires? Wish I could find a step-by-step step how to wire the 2 wires. I'm aware I may need a different flasher. I'm also aware there is a 4 AND a 5 pin flasher. My TJ is a 2000. I currently have turn signals built into my headlights.

PLEASE HELP ME OUT.

Attached Thumbnails
20200422_155605_1587742310122.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-24-2020, 09:43 AM
SHoppe715
2006 LJ Wrangler 

https://www.jeepforum.com/#/topics/4273177

Google search images for "Alaska Jeep"...mine's the brown one on snow tracks.
Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and check out the "Alaska Tracks-pedition".
post #3 of 18 Old 04-24-2020, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
BOATY2M
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I've read those posts. I'm electrically stupid. Wish I could fi d a post where someone showed exactly how to splice the 2 wires into the existing harness, and then add a different flasher

post #4 of 18 Old 04-24-2020, 08:12 PM
SHoppe715
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOATY2M View Post
I've read those posts. I'm electrically stupid. Wish I could fi d a post where someone showed exactly how to splice the 2 wires into the existing harness, and then add a different flasher
Metalcloak has their LED blinker installation instructions on their web site. You basically end up only using the wiring from one or the other (front or side - I don’t remember).

They won’t flash the same way as the stock lights do but will get the job done.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 Old 04-25-2020, 08:28 AM
SHoppe715
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Try this for 2-wire lights:
http://forum.metalcloakinstructions....lights-6544878

Dual function (3-wire)
http://forum.metalcloakinstructions....post1283404574

Note: neither of these instructions result in LED lights working same as stock. But they do work.

Check out
post #6 of 18 Old 05-03-2020, 08:30 PM
40vern
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i have the same problem. i do not understand how the lights work. my side marker has two wires and my blinker had three. however when i strip the wire loom back two of the wires are spliced together.
do not understand

i was looking at my trailer lights. it has one bulb and two wires and they blink, stay on for a running light and brighten when you press the brake pedal. the light grounds through frame. so i do not know why jeep light have to be so difficult
post #7 of 18 Old 05-03-2020, 09:20 PM
SHoppe715
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40vern View Post
so i do not know why jeep light have to be so difficult
Wholeheartedly agree. The floating ground that makes the front blinkers work the way they do seems like one of the designers was just showing off his electrical know how. The instructions linked above will simplify the wiring and make both act the same...as long as you don’t have an obsessive desire for LEDs to function the same way as the stock lights....😂

Check out
post #8 of 18 Old 05-04-2020, 05:00 AM
40vern
1999 XJ Cherokee 

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHoppe715 View Post
Wholeheartedly agree. The floating ground that makes the front blinkers work the way they do seems like one of the designers was just showing off his electrical know how. The instructions linked above will simplify the wiring and make both act the same...as long as you donít have an obsessive desire for LEDs to function the same way as the stock lights....😂
thanks. i read some of the links. three of them would not open. i have ordered some different lights. i will try them. i honestly would not mind just buying some type of blinker and installing thiem on the grill. not really interested in led
post #9 of 18 Old 05-05-2020, 05:18 AM
40vern
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i looked up the two little lights that came with my fenders. i hooked them to the two wires on my factory side markers. when i turn my blinkers on, the factory front blinker and the fender light will blink at the same time. when i turn my headlights on the factory light stops working
post #10 of 18 Old 05-05-2020, 09:12 AM
jeepbro's
2002 TJ Wrangler 

https://www.wranglerforum.com/thread...ights.1009850/

I followed the little diagram in this thread. Fairly simple to wire up.

Same concept as link below
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/l...ation-1081228/

Also found both of these in 2min of searching google.

2002 tj sahara 3" lift 35" km2, AtoZ rockers, 8k warn, 4.56 gears, lock-rites front and rear
post #11 of 18 Old 05-05-2020, 02:18 PM
40vern
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Both links show how to hook up led lights. I was just wanting to hook up regular lights. Thanks for pointing out how fast you found the results but I had read them already.
I am not interested in led lights at all
post #12 of 18 Old 05-05-2020, 04:17 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you just want to wire up OEM (stock) front parking & the side markers you just wire one of the 2 marker light wires to the front light black/yellow (parking) wire & the other to the front signal wire which should be tan for right & grey for left.

If I recall you have a ’98 TJ. If you have a later one the wires colors might be different. Method is the same, one to signal, one to parking.

The side marker lights use a so called floating or reversing ground. It works that way to allow a single filament bulb (2 wires) to operate 2 functions (market & signal).

When one of the 2 wires gets 12v (lights on or signal on) the other wire becomes the grounding wire which connects over to the front light & makes a ground path through the other (inactive) wire at the front, through the front filament of that bulb & to the grounding wire on the front light then to the ground above the headlight. When both are used, lights on & signaling, the side marker has constant 12 for lights & intermittent (12 then 0 v) for the front signal. When the signal goes high both marker wires have 12v & the marker goes off (no ground) & when the signal goes low the light still has 12v but the signal wire becomes the ground path through the front signal wire & to ground.

To further explain, notice that with lights off the side flashes with the front but when the lights are on they flash opposite the front. All from the signal blocking the ground when it goes high (has 12v) & the front flashes, (side goes off).

The side flashes (off) when the signal is on & the ground through the signal wire is blocked, then on when the front signal goes off allowing grounding through that (off) signal wire.

Since the 2 side wires both need to be able to reverse polarity & become the grounding path, LEDs will not work the same since by definition they are diodes & diodes will only pass current in one direction.

post #13 of 18 Old 05-05-2020, 07:56 PM
40vern
1999 XJ Cherokee 

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
If you just want to wire up OEM (stock) front parking & the side markers you just wire one of the 2 marker light wires to the front light black/yellow (parking) wire & the other to the front signal wire which should be tan for right & grey for left.

If I recall you have a í98 TJ. If you have a later one the wires colors might be different. Method is the same, one to signal, one to parking.

The side marker lights use a so called floating or reversing ground. It works that way to allow a single filament bulb (2 wires) to operate 2 functions (market & signal).

When one of the 2 wires gets 12v (lights on or signal on) the other wire becomes the grounding wire which connects over to the front light & makes a ground path through the other (inactive) wire at the front, through the front filament of that bulb & to the grounding wire on the front light then to the ground above the headlight. When both are used, lights on & signaling, the side marker has constant 12 for lights & intermittent (12 then 0 v) for the front signal. When the signal goes high both marker wires have 12v & the marker goes off (no ground) & when the signal goes low the light still has 12v but the signal wire becomes the ground path through the front signal wire & to ground.

To further explain, notice that with lights off the side flashes with the front but when the lights are on they flash opposite the front. All from the signal blocking the ground when it goes high (has 12v) & the front flashes, (side goes off).

The side flashes (off) when the signal is on & the ground through the signal wire is blocked, then on when the front signal goes off allowing grounding through that (off) signal wire.

Since the 2 side wires both need to be able to reverse polarity & become the grounding path, LEDs will not work the same since by definition they are diodes & diodes will only pass current in one direction.

thanks, i wiil print this out and see what i can do with it. this is very helpful and makes since. most people are going leds, but with me, i could care less. just want enough lights to not get a ticket
post #14 of 18 Old 05-05-2020, 09:12 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The easy fix is to replace the LEDs with standard incandescent light bulbs. Boiling the above description down to a shorter version... the side marker circuit depends on the bulbs being able to conduct electricity in both directions. Standard bulbs do that, LED bulbs cannot. LED bulbs only pass electricity in one direction.

Get rid of the LED side marker bulbs and replace them with conventional 12 volt bulbs of the same wattage as the factory bulbs which is 4.9 watts or close.
NashvilleTJ likes this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #15 of 18 Old 05-06-2020, 08:59 AM
40vern
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Jerry. That is what I was wanting to do. However most people want to go to led lights.
Harder to find information.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in