New tie rod ends? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 12-02-2007, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
magnato1

New tie rod ends?

Hey all,

I got my tires rotated yesterday and asked to have the alignment checked. Afterwards they said they could not perform the inspection because the tie rod ends are loose and need replacing. How can I check to be sure that they're not trying to take me on this? If they are in need of replacement, are there some beefed up ones, like Currie or something that I should get for a replacement? They said that it's the left and right tie rod ends. Look forward to hearing from y'all. Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 12-02-2007, 09:58 PM
CETROV

1997 TJ Wrangler 

With your wheel in the air - lift it with a jack.
Grab the tire and see if you can move it side to side or up and down.
If it wiggles - that could be what it is.
You can have someone do this and look at the tie rods and see the play in them.

Good time to upgrade to heavy duty.

P.S. - you can align it yourself and save the money - will take you a 30 minutes or less on the ground. Tape meaure and wrench is all you need.

What size tires do you run - any lift?

Been driving the same TJ since 2001.
post #3 of 27 Old 12-02-2007, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
magnato1

The tires are 33x12.5r15. I think it's a 3.5 inch lift, could be 4. The guy I bought it from didn't really know anything about it. The guy before him put everything on it. Anyways, what company should I go with for the new tie rods ends? Can I easily install them myself?

post #4 of 27 Old 12-02-2007, 10:58 PM
1CleanTJ

1999 TJ Wrangler 

tie rod ends are way easy to replace, if your looking for a bit of an upgrade at the same time without spending 200+ i see around the web you can swap in v8 grand cherokee tie rod setup which has a solid , thicker tie rod compared to the wimpy TJ hollow tie rod and it also has larger tie rod ends for more strength.

I'll actually be doing this upgrade tomorrow since I bent my stock tie rod by about 10" today, ended up using a bottle jack to get the bend within a few inches of straight, then taking it off in the woods, shoving it between my bumper edge for leverage and bending it straight. sleeved it with a high-jack lift handle and went on my way

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- CLICK !!! AND SHARE
post #5 of 27 Old 12-02-2007, 11:20 PM
CRAWLING 98
Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

1998 era V8 Grand Cherokee tie rod setup which has a solid, thicker tie rods compared to the wimpy TJ hollow tie rod and it also has larger tie rod ends for more strength.

The Grand Cherokee tie rods are readily available at your local junk yard. Changing the out is easy. You can remove (by removing the nut and tapping the ball housing with a hammer, they should drop out. Or you can get the removal tools). OEM parts should then be measured (distance from end to end) and the match the distances on the new set-up. The alignment should be close enough for you to make it to the alignment shop, or align yourself.

This should take you about 2-3 hours to complete unless you have access to a stocked garage.

Take pictures to show us your progress.

Group W Bench
post #6 of 27 Old 12-03-2007, 09:53 AM
Jerky bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnato1
Hey all,

I got my tires rotated yesterday and asked to have the alignment checked. Afterwards they said they could not perform the inspection because the tie rod ends are loose and need replacing. How can I check to be sure that they're not trying to take me on this? If they are in need of replacement, are there some beefed up ones, like Currie or something that I should get for a replacement? They said that it's the left and right tie rod ends. Look forward to hearing from y'all. Thanks again!
Funny how things change in a few years. It used to be, balljoints and tie rods had a "measureable wear limit". Seems the practice has gone the way of the DO-DO (doe-doe?). Anyway, the balljoint was grabbed top side and nut side with a pair of waterpump pliers and squeezed.

The inside spring would collapse and this would give you an indication of the wear that had taken place. This movement was measured and dubbed "measureable wear".
Around here, it seems one has two heads to mention such an odd idea, though and some will say -should be little to no movement in the joint- or say nothing at all.
I guess I'm a (doe-doe?)
I would like to know what the wear-limits are for my ride- but have had no help.
post #7 of 27 Old 12-03-2007, 04:17 PM
1CleanTJ

1999 TJ Wrangler 

heres some pics of earlier went and picked up the parts. total cost for both tie rods and adjuster sleeve from a v8 grand cherokee and can of PB blaster and a tube of grease was $89 with tax.

by the time I got home with the parts the ground pretty much melted and the sleet turned into rain. heres my work area

i know, so luxurious

took about an hour total time to remove the old one, put the new one together and bolt it in and adjust it so its semi-straight for the ride down to alignment shop.

to give you guys an idea why this swap is worth it- This is the stock TJ rod its about 7/8" diameter and HOLLOW! no wonder it couldnt take much.

The ZJ tie rod is 1" SOLID steel
old tie rod on the left, new ZJ tie rod on the right

Besides a bigger solid steel rod, the ends are also bigger

new adjustment clamp compared to old stock TJ

how it looks complete (well didnt have adjustment clamps on it)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- CLICK !!! AND SHARE

Last edited by 1CleanTJ; 12-03-2007 at 04:29 PM.
post #8 of 27 Old 12-03-2007, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
magnato1

nclaentj, Where did youn get the tie rod ends for $89? They look brand new. What year ZJ did you get them for? Looks like an awesome way to do it. Thanks in advance for the tip!
post #9 of 27 Old 12-03-2007, 08:59 PM
1CleanTJ

1999 TJ Wrangler 

they are brand new, there not expensive at all unless you go with the best quality ones the auto part stores carry and then it can cost like $150-200

I got them at auto zone as its nearby and they had it all in stock. napa and basically any other auto parts store will carry them though. Thats one of the best things about this, if you bend or break a part, you just need to run down to the parts store. I used a 1997 Grand Cherokee 4x4 with the v8 (5.2L i think ?) for parts look up but got the part numbers from this write up - http://www.jeephorizons.com/tech/tjtierod/

the car quest part numbers (Moog) are the same part numbers auto zone carry s. From what I have read Moog is the parent company of the TRW line they carry just the quality is about OEM , while Moog stamped parts are stronger then OEM. Either way its much better then the stuff the TJ came with stock.

<-- CLICK !!! AND SHARE
post #10 of 27 Old 12-03-2007, 09:48 PM
vitapimp
Owner of REPOST™

1998 TJ Wrangler 

wow! for that price i am definitely replacing my bent tie rod with that.

i am going to buy them tomorrow...

at autozone...

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD 8 cyl

tie rod - Part Number: DS1312 - $34.99
tie rod adjusting sleve - Part Number: ES2079S - $15.99
tie rod end - Part Number: ES3096 - $21.99

napa

Tie Rod End - Item#: NCP2692788 - Price: $38.99
Tie Rod Adjusting Sleeve - Item#: NCP2691134 - Price: $23.49
Tie Rod - Item#: NCP2696085 - Price: $73.49
The article had DS1312 for the tie rod but their online stor only had the 2696085 one.

What you are is God's gift to you...
What you make of yourself is your gift to God.
Make a change. Be different.

Last edited by vitapimp; 12-03-2007 at 10:00 PM.
post #11 of 27 Old 12-08-2007, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
magnato1

Hey, in the write up from Jeep Horizons it says that you should rent a tie rod separator. Did you need this for the install? Or can you do it without? What exactly is it used for, it doesn't look like there is any separating that needs to be done. Thanks for the input!
post #12 of 27 Old 12-08-2007, 11:35 AM
DemonDeacon
2014 WK 

hey nice write-up 1claentj. Im certainly going to be doing that mod because i have been experienceing some problems with my steering. i didnt realize i could do it that easily and cheaply!
post #13 of 27 Old 12-08-2007, 11:39 AM
jpmonkey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just Beat It

All you really need is a 3# hammer. Tap the ball housing and they will seperate, but don't try tapping the bolt part through or you will damage the threads and possible bind it. You can use a pickle fork too but will ruin the rubber boot, not to worry if you don't want them as spares, and most auto parts stores like autozone do a free loaner on rod end seperators, just pay for it and get a full refund on retuning the tool.
post #14 of 27 Old 12-08-2007, 12:11 PM
truckin88
2006 TJ Wrangler 

tie rod seperator is 1.99 at harbor frieght

2006 Wrangler X, 6 speed manual 4.0 I6, BFG T/A's 31x10.50x15 on Promcomp )97 Soft 8 Steelies, stock sunrider soft top, KC Replacement fogs, westin step bars (yeah I know).

RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #442
post #15 of 27 Old 12-08-2007, 02:05 PM
1CleanTJ

1999 TJ Wrangler 

you may or may not need the tie rod separator (wedge shape fork you hit with a hammer), I did not use it as one side came off by tapping the casting it sits into and the other i just hit the tie rod end real quick since my TJ tie rod was trash anyways. Pick one up while your at autozone (they rent them for free or money down till you bring it back) that way if you need it, you have it.

<-- CLICK !!! AND SHARE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in