New to Rubicon. 4wd indicator light on dash and locker problems - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 01-02-2012, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
ssphoger
2004 TJ Wrangler 

New to Rubicon. 4wd indicator light on dash and locker problems

Ok new guy here I just got my 4th Wrangler 04 Rubicon with 60,000 mi.
This is my first Rubicon and so I'm trying out the 4WD and lockers.
First thing no dash lights in 4 Hi or 4LO I know its going in gear though just no indication.
Second the lockers do not seem to work I put it in 4LO pushed the switch nothin pushed it again nothin.
Since the locker is tied in with the transfure case being in 4LO
would it not indicating lock out the axel lock?
Its been cold/wet and I haven't got under it since getting it but I'm taking it to my mechanic soon to put it up on the lift.
Just lookin for what to look for.
Happy I finally joined, plenty more to come.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-02-2012, 06:52 PM
bustedknuckle
2005 TJ Wrangler 

When the locker is engaged the 4wd dash light will blink and then stay on once locked. Hit it once for the rear then one more time for the front. They also only work in 4 low unless you mod the switch.

Can you here the compressor kick on?
post #3 of 21 Old 01-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Sccafire
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I would think the transfer case position sensor is bad or the wiring to it. The sensor relays what position the trasfer case is in to the PCM. If the PCM is not reading the transfer case in 4lo it will not activate the lockers.

The sensor is not that hard to replace. Could be something simple as the connector not being plugged in.

Scott

"life is good at 2 MPH"

post #4 of 21 Old 01-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Vinman
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sccafire View Post
I would think the transfer case position sensor is bad or the wiring to it. The sensor relays what position the trasfer case is in to the PCM. If the PCM is not reading the transfer case in 4lo it will not activate the lockers.

The sensor is not that hard to replace. Could be something simple as the connector not being plugged in.
This.
post #5 of 21 Old 01-02-2012, 10:43 PM
dcope17

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedknuckle View Post
When the locker is engaged the 4wd dash light will blink and then stay on once locked. Hit it once for the rear then one more time for the front. They also only work in 4 low unless you mod the switch.

Can you here the compressor kick on?
Not this... 4WD light will not blink... the locker lights will when you push the button to engage but haven't mechanically engaged yet.

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 Old 01-02-2012, 10:46 PM
bustedknuckle
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcope17

Not this... 4WD light will not blink... the locker lights will when you push the button to engage but haven't mechanically engaged yet.
I know I have a rubicon. Sorry if I wrote it misleading.
post #7 of 21 Old 01-02-2012, 11:23 PM
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

And some folks think ARBs have too many components to make em work......
post #8 of 21 Old 01-03-2012, 12:18 AM
SBpunk

2004 WJ 

If you put it in 4WL and roll back until it engages then throw it in neutral. Hit the button twice and roll back a little and forward a little. If the lights don't go solid then you have an air leak. If the lights arent coming on at all replace the sensor.

Get under your rig after you engage 4WL and the lockers. See if you can hear the compressors kicking on (they are right behind your transmission and what not on the skid plate. I would chalk your tires too just to be safe. Good luck!

2004 Jeep WJ Overland
1992 Jeep MJ 4x4 5 speed
post #9 of 21 Old 01-03-2012, 12:20 AM
SBpunk

2004 WJ 

Quick question. Do you have a body lift on your jeep? If you do is there a MML? If the shifter wasnt adjusted it might not be engaging correctly causing it not to light up or engage your lockers.

2004 Jeep WJ Overland
1992 Jeep MJ 4x4 5 speed
post #10 of 21 Old 01-26-2012, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
ssphoger
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well had it on the lift today and replaced the TC position switch (Which was bad) again no light, I put it in gear rolled the wheels a little to make sure it was in gear still nothing { Ran it thru a dash light test and get all but front and rear locked lights, the 4WD light does work}
I get no sound when trying the switch for the lockers.
Anyone know were I can get a wireing and machanical diagram of the locker system?
I bought a Haynes manual but its usless with refrence to the lockers.
Also found the front axle universals need replaced , Don't look to hard but any tips?
Thanks its good to have sights like this.
((PS this is a stock 04 Rubicon no mods. that I know of.))
post #11 of 21 Old 01-26-2012, 12:59 PM
Keith_C
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssphoger View Post
Well had it on the lift today and replaced the TC position switch (Which was bad) again no light,
How did you determine the switch was bad?
post #12 of 21 Old 01-26-2012, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
ssphoger
2004 TJ Wrangler 

When I pulled it out the plunger stayed in with no spring tension unlike the new one which moves in and out.
The dealer determined it was bad but would not replace it under the 30 day 3000 mi drive train warranty.(Saying its a switch not part of the drive train BS)
Now I have it 45 days and 35000 mi so guess I'm on my own. ( I know should have checked this out before I said I'll take it but never had a Rubicon and just didn't think of it )

Found a wiring diagram and I may just install some switches and bypass all the BS and make em work when I want.
post #13 of 21 Old 01-26-2012, 04:11 PM
lope

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssphoger View Post
Also found the front axle universals need replaced , Don't look to hard but any tips?
Let me introduce you to Stu.
http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/ujoint1/u-joint-1.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 21 Old 02-03-2012, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
ssphoger
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Very happy to meet Stu!!!! THANKS lope
Did the front universals yesterday in 3 hrs just like Stu said.
Now the Lockers
When I do the dash light test the locker indicators don't come on the 4WD does comes on
I talked to the previous owner and I don't think the lockers were ever used since new, Next nice day I have time I'm going to start tracing things down and maybe jumping out some things just to get the compresors to run and make sure that end works. If that works I'll put in some switches and bypass the old system if I can't get it to work right.
thoughts?
post #15 of 21 Old 02-03-2012, 06:25 AM
4banged
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssphoger
I talked to the previous owner and I don't think the lockers were ever used since new...
That's just wrong...glad you rescued this jeep from that guy...he probably traded it in on a Prius!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in