23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 12-07-2019, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
JabaThaHut

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
New to me TJ

Hello everyone!

I'm back in a "real" Jeep again with a 1998 TJ, 4.0 5sp, on 33x10.5" BFG AT's. I l love it so far but obviously the gearing blows and that'll be changing soon! Quick question - Looking at my pic, do you think my TJ is sitting on stock springs? I put a 1-3/4" spacer up front and a 3/4" in the rear before this pic since there wasn't much clearance when I bought it. I'm used to my old XJ where it took a 4-1/2" lift and fender trimming just to fit 33's :P

It's good to be back in a Jeep that more readily receives a wave back!

Attached Thumbnails
1998TJnew.jpg  
jeepguy03 and Wolfen99 like this.

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-07-2019, 10:21 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looks nice. That's stock (with your spacers), but you can measure the springs as it sits. 12" front and 8" rear are stock. Here's a pic of 33s with zero lift and a hard top.

p.s. If the gearing sucks that bad with 33x10.50s, you probably have 3.07 gears and not 3.73s.
Attached Thumbnails
SAHARA JEEP2 (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg  
Wolfen99 and JabaThaHut like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5.5" lift / Rancho shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #3 of 16 Old 12-07-2019, 10:52 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabaThaHut View Post
Hello everyone!
I'm back in a "real" Jeep again with a 1998 TJ.
I'm used to my old XJ where it took a 4-1/2" lift and fender trimming just to fit 33's :P
Hey now. You need both (TJ & XJ).

p.s. You need 4" of lift to properly run 33s on a TJ too.
Attached Thumbnails
XJ BEST.jpg  
jeepguy03, Wolfen99 and JabaThaHut like this.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes

post #4 of 16 Old 12-07-2019, 12:42 PM
fxrsliberty

33s with 3.5 Rock Krawler lift

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
TheBoogieman and JabaThaHut like this.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-07-2019, 02:28 PM
RioLobo

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Def stock, if it sits like that with your spacers added
post #6 of 16 Old 12-07-2019, 08:26 PM
Arty McGeep

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
33x12.5R15’s 4” x series lift
Attached Thumbnails
57D608E9-D4FA-48C0-BAF2-F0F0CA659177_1575771952241.jpg  
post #7 of 16 Old 12-08-2019, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
JabaThaHut

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Thanks for all the responses and awesome looking rigs!

I'll get out there with a measuring tape to confirm, but I'm sure you're all correct by sight! Axle gearing is definitely 3.07. I just picked up a used Artec trussed 8.8 rear and HP Dana 30 front geared to 4.88 with some other goodies inside (OX Locker in rear with chromoly shafts and Lock-Right in the front). I have plans to step into 35's when these AT's wear out but I'm also looking to keep it as low as possible. Reading around a bit it looks like my best option in that regard will be around 3" of lift with highline fenders and rear trimming. I'll burn that bridge when I get there because we all know how plans change!

For now, do you think I'll be okay with adding the rear spacer (3/4") to the front after I install the 8.8 since the axle will bring the rear up about 1/2"? I prefer to sit slightly higher in the rear so it's pretty level when loaded. No rear tire carrier on this rig (I know, I know...I have my reasons ). I've already cycled the suspension and extended the bump stops for these tires/suspension and I know I'm missing some travel for now, but of course I'm not a millionaire and can't do everything right away.

Eric
post #8 of 16 Old 12-08-2019, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
JabaThaHut

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Hey now. You need both (TJ & XJ).

Maybe in another life I can have 2 Jeep "toys!"

That's a nice clean XJ! Once I trimmed my front a rear fenders/wheel wells and started wheeling harder, I stopped caring as much about it's external condition. You're doing a great job keeping yours looking mint!
TheBoogieman likes this.

Eric

Last edited by JabaThaHut; 12-09-2019 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Addition
post #9 of 16 Old 12-08-2019, 08:38 AM
jeepguy03
Winning

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Nice Jeep! I just picked up a '98 TJ myself after having XJs for quite a few years. I'm also in CT!
JabaThaHut likes this.

-Josh

0331 head swap DIY:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Build" thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 Old 12-08-2019, 10:55 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Maybe in another life I can have 2 Jeep "toys!"
I like the color of your TJ.
Attached Thumbnails
Rubi 2 24.jpg  
jeepguy03, Wolfen99 and JabaThaHut like this.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
post #11 of 16 Old 12-09-2019, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
JabaThaHut

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy03 View Post
Nice Jeep! I just picked up a '98 TJ myself after having XJs for quite a few years. I'm also in CT!
Awesome! How do you like it so far compared to XJ's? I'm having a lot of fun driving mine around. I've noticed the lack of storage, which I'm fine with, and the fact that it does get blown around a bit more.

I've been out of wheeling so long I feel like a newbie again! I'll even bet some of the old spots I used to hit are "prohibited" now. Are you a member of any groups or clubs in CT?

Eric
post #12 of 16 Old 12-09-2019, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
JabaThaHut

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
I like the color of your TJ.
Sweet Rubicon! I really like the look of those wheels! It's funny, Flame Red was not my first choice, by any means, when I was hunting for a TJ, but the color was low on my priority list. It definitely grew on me and I'm digging the red/black look now and seeing yours is just reinforcing that!

How's the 5.13 gears with the 35's? Automatic or stick? I'm very slightly leery about running 4.88's with my current 33's until I step up to 35's (I have the 5 speed), but I'm sure I'll be able to handle the hot rod for a while

Now I wouldn't mind finding a set of full doors...

Eric
post #13 of 16 Old 12-09-2019, 07:39 AM
jeepguy03
Winning

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Awesome! How do you like it so far compared to XJ's? I'm having a lot of fun driving mine around. I've noticed the lack of storage, which I'm fine with, and the fact that it does get blown around a bit more.

I've been out of wheeling so long I feel like a newbie again! I'll even bet some of the old spots I used to hit are "prohibited" now. Are you a member of any groups or clubs in CT?
I like the 4.0/5MT combo. Mine is a Sahara with the 3.73 gears. It is definitely more spartan compared to the XJ with less storage but it's fun and a lot simpler. Seems to be a bit more room under the hood. It does get blown around on the highway more. I haven't put many miles on mine yet since I have a daily driver car I drive to work 90 miles a day, and want to keep the salt off the Jeep.

I don't know of any legal wheeling spots at least in my area. My plan is to do a mild build on this (it already has 1" H&R Springs) and take it out to Moab and Colorado. I'm out near Storrs/UConn but let me know if you need help wrenching sometime. I have air tools and a garage.
JabaThaHut likes this.

-Josh

0331 head swap DIY:

"Build" thread:

post #14 of 16 Old 12-09-2019, 09:00 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Sweet Rubicon! I really like the look of those wheels! It's funny, Flame Red was not my first choice, by any means, when I was hunting for a TJ, but the color was low on my priority list. It definitely grew on me and I'm digging the red/black look now and seeing yours is just reinforcing that!

How's the 5.13 gears with the 35's? Automatic or stick? I'm very slightly leery about running 4.88's with my current 33's until I step up to 35's (I have the 5 speed), but I'm sure I'll be able to handle the hot rod for a while

Now I wouldn't mind finding a set of full doors...
Thanks and it's a 5 speed. I never thought about buying a red Jeep, but it came up on craigslist as a one owner for $9500 so I jumped on it. I would have went deeper if it was an auto. Definitely go with 4.88 if you think you might jump to 35s ever. You don't want to do it twice. I had 4.56 gears with 32s and a 32rh auto. Over-geared and lots of fun.
Attached Thumbnails
RR2 (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg  

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
post #15 of 16 Old 12-11-2019, 01:36 PM
Serenity Now

I have the 4.56 and have been running 35's but switched back to 33's as they suit my driving style more (more road than off-road unfortunately). Loving the TJ, get used to constant modifications and spending all your money on it to keep "improving" it...
Here's mine with 4" lift on 33's
Attached Thumbnails
1128191623.jpg  

2001 Wrangler 4.0 5-Spd 4" lift, 33's or 35's depending on the day

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in