new drive shaft/ pinion angle - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-05-2020, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
dpw92007
2004 TJ Wrangler 

new drive shaft/ pinion angle

taking measurements for a new tw drive shaft and I just want to make sure i am doing this correctly . thank you for any and all help. I included a pic of my jeep and the tw directions. Also not sure how to set pinion angle correctly , I just kinda guessed. 4 in lift

Attached Thumbnails
ds.jpg   dstw.jpg  

Last edited by dpw92007; 06-05-2020 at 08:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-05-2020, 10:26 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The yellow line in your picture is correct for where you want to measure. Having the pinion roughly pointed at the rear transfer case output is close enough for the purpose of measuring for a driveshaft, once you install the new shaft you'll fine tune the pinion angle so that the operating angle of the u-joint at the differential is one degree or less, ie, the driveshaft will be straight in line with the pinion shaft. If you have bushings with a little give in the rear axle control arms, you may have to adjust the pinion a couple degrees nose down from there to allow for the axle housing torqueing up under load.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #3 of 4 Old 06-06-2020, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
dpw92007
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you. My upper arms are savvy w/Johnny joints, I am also planning on new buying lowers as cash flow permits, so if I understand correctly once I get the drive shaft installed and dial everything in I won’t have to account for torque as much?

post #4 of 4 Old 06-06-2020, 02:08 AM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Good chance you'll be fine with the diff joint working angle set at one degree or less with JJ-equipped arms, but each Jeep can be different. The real tell will be if you get driveline vibration that goes away when you let off or ease up on the throttle -- that would indicate a bit more nose down pinion angle is needed.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in