New Coil springs question - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 26 Old 02-18-2017, 11:43 AM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
But ride height changed? You probably dropped a full inch going away from those REs. And that changed how the rest of your suspension worked.
I wish I could confirm that ride height changed...but I can't.

2006 LJR...the madness begins again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 Old 02-18-2017, 12:05 PM
Gary2
2012 TJ Wrangler 

Springs are not the key factor in in a softer ride but they do have an effect. Some make it sound like shocks are the only thing that effects the ride . Yes shocks play a large part but so do many other items. They all add up making it a system.
post #18 of 26 Old 02-18-2017, 02:42 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJnBC View Post
I fully agree Coils set ride height.

But I dont agree that some coils will be a softer /harder ride...I ran the same Bilstein shocks on my old TJ and started with 3.5" REs and then changed out to 3.5" MC dual rate. The ride difference was night and day. RE were way stiffer than the softer MC coils. Shocks never changed or arms or steering etc...

That being said, it could have been the difference in spring rates and they reacted with my aftermarket Bumpers , winch , spare tire etc...
Did ride height change?

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.

post #19 of 26 Old 02-18-2017, 05:57 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary2 View Post
Springs are not the key factor in in a softer ride but they do have an effect. Some make it sound like shocks are the only thing that effects the ride . Yes shocks play a large part but so do many other items. They all add up making it a system.
In general, all other things being equal and set correctly, you can fix ride quality with shocks, you can't fix it with springs. This discussion would be a lot easier for everyone to understand if they had ever run a set of coil overs and then had someone try to tune the ride quality by swapping springs around.

Another thing that would make this easier is if they spent some time around a whole bunch of different rigs. I just had one in the other day. Guy has 4" rear springs, RE long arm, hard top, heavy swing out tire carrier with dual full five gallon gas cans, a hi-lift, and a common yard tool hanging from it, steel corners, steel rock rails, and a steel gas tank skid. At ride height, he has sub 2" of uptravel on the rear shocks.

He is going to put new rear springs in it to gain some ride height so is he fixing the ride quality with springs or shocks?

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
post #20 of 26 Old 02-18-2017, 06:19 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds to me like he is fixing ride height and then you'll worry about ride comfort after tbat.
post #21 of 26 Old 02-18-2017, 09:06 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Sounds to me like he is fixing ride height and then you'll worry about ride comfort after tbat.
Yes, he is going to swap to the Currie HD Unlimited springs which will bring his ride height up enough to get about 3 more inches of up-travel on the rear shocks. On here, that means the springs fixed the ride quality issue and the reality is, he fixed a ride height issue which will let his shocks work better instead of bottoming out on small events which gives the impression of harshness. Or, you could put it another way, he is swapping in a stiffer spring to soften the ride.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
post #22 of 26 Old 02-19-2017, 06:03 PM
BigAl4102
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I think you explained it perfectly Blaine, there is no one size fits all explanation. Heavier springs can improve your ride, along with a hundered other things.

OP, I would not suggest mixing lift height springs to get a desired rake, or squat. All springs give a different amount of lift based on bumpers, cargo, armor, etc. You would be better off getting springs the same, and get some .5" or .75" spacers, to fine tune your stance.

I don't care for bilstiens stiff ride qualities but others like them.
I have a set of the Rancho 9000's that will be for sale soon, they are to stiff for my taste also, but my jeep is very light, and my taste is for a VERY plush ride, which may not be what you are looking for.
You need to read a bunch of ride quality threads to kind of get a sense of what you want, instead of expecting a simple answer.

And be ready to swap stuff around to get exact results.
post #23 of 26 Old 02-19-2017, 08:43 PM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Or, you could put it another way, he is swapping in a stiffer spring to soften the ride.
That sounds about like what I did years ago, still riding well to this day...
post #24 of 26 Old 02-20-2017, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
homeboy1991

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks every one. I'll do a little more research on the ride quality. I have pretty much a Currie suspension I've pieced together over the years swapping out all the Rough Country pieces as I could. Every thing I've swapped up until now have a made a huge difference in out my Jeep rides and drives. I've ridden in a few different jeeps with different setups. (Zone, Sky jacker, ... etc) From some of the jeeps I've worked on with friends I just feel the rough country springs I have now are way stiffer than some of the others I've messed with.

My TJ Build Thread -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #25 of 26 Old 02-20-2017, 01:54 PM
Gary2
2012 TJ Wrangler 

IIRC I have read where the 4" RC's are a stiff spring. I just bought back one of my previous owned TJs which now has RC 2.5" which have a reputation of being a soft spring. My plans are to replace them with either MC 3.5 or Savvy 3" undecided right now . I've ridden in a similar set up TJ with the MC springs and it rode fine on the road and he too came from RC 2.5s
and said it was like a different TJ , much improved. It is much better handling than mine with the anti rock and ranchos both set the same as mine. Only real difference is I have Clayton long arms which I am thinking about switching back to short arms presently.
post #26 of 26 Old 02-20-2017, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
homeboy1991

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, that was my initial assumption. I just wanted some opinions. I think I'm going to get the currie 4" springs, then save up for some fox shocks.

My TJ Build Thread -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in