New Coil springs question - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 02-17-2017, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
homeboy1991

2005 TJ Wrangler 

New Coil springs question

Hey everyone I have a question about new spring for my Jeep. I have rough country 4" lift springs now, but I feel like the are too stiff. I like height of my Jeep, but want different springs as I feel like they would give me a better ride over the RC Springs. I've been thinking of the Currie 4" front and 3" rear, but not sure if that would make the rear sit too low and give a "Squat" look. I want a level ride or preferably a slight nose up maybe a 1/2". Also I have teraflex shocks as of now, but will be upgrading in after new spring to bilstein's. any help would be great thanks!

My TJ Build Thread -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-17-2017, 03:35 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Use your springs to set ride height. For ride comfort focus on your shocks. Those Teras are not doing you good, although personally I'd look around a bit wider than the Bilsteins.
post #3 of 26 Old 02-17-2017, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
homeboy1991

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Any suggestions on shocks? I like the ride height I have now expect the rear sits a little high, but its probably because of the sagging front springs and my winch.

My TJ Build Thread -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 Old 02-17-2017, 03:46 PM
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

What's your budget, and what do you use your Jeep for?
post #5 of 26 Old 02-17-2017, 03:46 PM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Fox shocks ....if you are not keen on Bilsteins. Lots of guys run the Bilsteins. I have ran them on several vehicles and 2 jeeps. Great shock for the price

2006 LJR...the madness begins again
post #6 of 26 Old 02-17-2017, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
homeboy1991

2005 TJ Wrangler 

It's not on dd duty anymore, but I want it to be as comfortable a TJ can be with a 4" lift. I wheel whenever I get a break from work (just graduated from College). I'll actually be going to the gulches again in March with my group.

My TJ Build Thread -
post #7 of 26 Old 02-17-2017, 03:55 PM
Trevlaw
Web Wheeler

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeboy1991 View Post
It's not on dd duty anymore, but I want it to be as comfortable a TJ can be with a 4" lift. I wheel whenever I get a break from work (just graduated from College). I'll actually be going to the gulches again in March with my group.
Another vote for foxes. They're a lot nicer shock and can actually be tuned for your rig.
post #8 of 26 Old 02-17-2017, 04:03 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Rancho 9000XL adjustables.
RDaniel2405 likes this.
post #9 of 26 Old 02-17-2017, 06:17 PM
eplumer400
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Use your springs to set ride height. For ride comfort focus on your shocks. Those Teras are not doing you good, although personally I'd look around a bit wider than the Bilsteins.
Now if only we can convince people that shocks don't set ride height
xxdabroxx likes this.

post #10 of 26 Old 02-17-2017, 11:26 PM
Stock-ishTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I'm running Currie 4" springs front and rear and the rear sits a little high. I don't run a spare tire right now though so that is probably why... I also run Fox shocks and they have worked great so far (Resi fronts and IFPs in the rear).
post #11 of 26 Old 02-18-2017, 12:15 AM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
In addition to shocks(I really like my rancho 7000mt, I hear the 5000x are good for the price too), what is your tire size, load rating, and pressure?
post #12 of 26 Old 02-18-2017, 11:03 AM
Gary2
2012 TJ Wrangler 

I would not give up on springs effecting the ride. Their must be a reason so many companies make progressive rate springs. It sure made a difference on my light JK's ride.
post #13 of 26 Old 02-18-2017, 11:12 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary2 View Post
I would not give up on springs effecting the ride. Their must be a reason so many companies make progressive rate springs I'd think. I would not completely give up on springs when looking to soften the ride. It sure made a difference on my JK's ride.
IMO the progressive rate thing as it relates to TJ springs is mostly just a marketing gimmick. The differences in rates just aren't enough to make much difference. Yes, rates are part of the ride equation but shocks are such a bigger part that they swamp spring rate when it comes to what people really end up feeling. If we were talking about dual spring coilovers where spring options are available that are multiples of each other it could be a different story, but we aren't.

In most cases when people say the springs changed their ride what really happened is the spring change made their ride height different and that changed how the rest of the suspension behaved (i.e. travel split was different, bumpstops were hit sooner or later, shocks bottomed out sooner or later, etc.).
post #14 of 26 Old 02-18-2017, 11:17 AM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I fully agree Coils set ride height.

But I dont agree that some coils will be a softer /harder ride...I ran the same Bilstein shocks on my old TJ and started with 3.5" REs and then changed out to 3.5" MC dual rate. The ride difference was night and day. RE were way stiffer than the softer MC coils. Shocks never changed or arms or steering etc...

That being said, it could have been the difference in spring rates and they reacted with my aftermarket Bumpers , winch , spare tire etc...

2006 LJR...the madness begins again
post #15 of 26 Old 02-18-2017, 11:21 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJnBC View Post
I fully agree Coils set ride height.

But I dont agree that some coils will be a softer /harder ride...I ran the same Bilstein shocks on my old TJ and started with 3.5" REs and then changed out to 3.5" MC dual rate. The ride difference was night and day. RE were way stiffer than the softer MC coils. Shocks never changed or arms or steering etc...
But ride height changed? You probably dropped a full inch going away from those REs. And that changed how the rest of your suspension worked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in