need parts help for NP241 J - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 24 Old 10-31-2015, 02:04 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
That's what I was afraid of. I know I would be driving around paranoid about stripping them completely.

Well I went ahead and ordered some parts. Got a pretty good deal on them I think.
Main shaft-140 normally 280
Range shift sleeve - 125 normally 250 - 300 where available.
Input gear 40 dollars. (Have only found elsewhere for 1200 as the entire planetary assembly)
Trying to get all the parts together before my wife realizes I'm going balls to the walls on this.

Now I am looking for a full rebuild kit (hopefully cheaper than the 225 full kit I found), not sure if I will need a new rear shaft yet. Need to do some measuring. It might come down to whether I use new yokes or a flange adapter. Is there any reason I should go with one over the other?

Instead of getting a new custom shaft I was thinking I would look for a stock shaft out of a junkyard from some other vehicle that happens to use the right joints and it the right length. Problems with that? Should I change the front diff yoke to match the case or the case to match the front diff? Should I use the flange adapter to a 1310 on the rear? Or go with 1330 yoke and change rear end to 1330 as well as look for a ford 1330 driveshaft to fit?

This has become quite the project...

Thanks for the help guys.
I use the flange adapter to keep the balancer in place. There is little to be gained other than a higher probability for vibration issues by converting to yoke.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 Old 10-31-2015, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
bigmac
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I use the flange adapter to keep the balancer in place. There is little to be gained other than a higher probability for vibration issues by converting to yoke.
I'm having trouble finding the part. What should I be searching? I guess I just dont know how they size flanges. I have an 8.8 flange to 1310 at the house but its not the right size.
post #18 of 24 Old 10-31-2015, 02:59 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
I'm having trouble finding the part. What should I be searching? I guess I just dont know how they size flanges. I have an 8.8 flange to 1310 at the house but its not the right size.
Look for something related to a stock Rubicon rear driveshaft.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.

post #19 of 24 Old 10-31-2015, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
bigmac
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So I am thinking if I found an unlimited Rubicon rear driveshaft I could bolt it right up to the case and then get a 1330 yoke or flange adapter ( still have old flange for 8.8) and then have a shop shorten the shaft to the lenght I need right?

The plan is coming together...
post #20 of 24 Old 10-31-2015, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
bigmac
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Crap. Just figured out the rubi driveshaft is single ujoint not double cardan. I guess I can scrap that idea...
post #21 of 24 Old 10-31-2015, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
bigmac
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Look for something related to a stock Rubicon rear driveshaft.
So I have figured out that Tom woods is having someone produce a companion flange for his company to adapt a 1310 series u joint to the Rubicon output flange and selling it as a 1310 series Rubicon driveshaft.

I was pondering at the 300 dollar price tag and thinking "damn I wish I could sell them back my old shaft before buying the new one" and then it hit me... The only difference between the one I need and the one I have is the flange! If I could get them to send me the flange adapter I could modify the tom woods shaft I already have to bolt right in!

The only issue at that point becomes length. Blaine you said you have an np231 and an np241or downstairs right? Would it be too much trouble to ask you how much shorter (if any) the Rubi case is? I guess the measurement i need it to the flange face on the rubi case and to the yoke end on the 231. I would do it but I am stuck on a 24 hour post. I think by going back to the flange style on the axle end I could help make up some of it.

Also the guy I bought the case from found the front shaft and is bringing it to me on Monday!
post #22 of 24 Old 11-03-2015, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
bigmac
2000 TJ Wrangler 

How's this for building on a budget? Company called me to let me know it was incorrect ly listed on eBay but they would honor the price anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20151103_114750948.jpg  
post #23 of 24 Old 12-15-2015, 05:38 PM
jeepmischief
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Taking apart my 241 tomorrow and am now following this thread! Haha.

I was curious where you found the rebuild kit? I only found one through Yukon, and they no longer offer it.
post #24 of 24 Old 12-15-2015, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
bigmac
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmischief View Post
Taking apart my 241 tomorrow and am now following this thread! Haha.

I was curious where you found the rebuild kit? I only found one through Yukon, and they no longer offer it.
Just search for my new thread!

241or assembly from scratch "

Tags
np241or , parts identification , rebuild kit , transfer case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in