need parts help for NP241 J - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 10-24-2015, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
bigmac
2000 TJ Wrangler 

need parts help for NP241 J

OK long time member here (read often, post very little)

I have been searching for days for good info on rebuilding a rubicon case I just bought. (for the record it was very cheap) I am having alot of trouble because I am not looking for just seals and bearings, but gear train parts as well.

this case is also known as the nvg241OR, or Rock trac.

I need an input gear (not the whole planetary assembly, just the gear that accepts the transmission output shaft), a main shaft, and the coupler (slides via the forward shift fork back and forth to engage either low or high range), as well as the smaller of the 2 shift forks.

The first obstacle I have run into is that almost every drivetrain place I have contacted seems to think that the NP241J (rubicon case) is one and the same as the 241 dodge. It can be difficult trying to convince them otherwise.

There seems to be alot of confusion about this case as many people will tell you "it is stronger because it has 6 planetary gears" Although this may be true for other model 241s as in the dodge, chevy, or maybe even the liberty version, I can assure you that the 2006 rubicon case has 4 very large planetaries. I am looking at them right now... maybe because the case is so dependable most people have never cracked it open?

Most major suppliers of jeep parts (quadratec, 4wd Hd, and many others) show parts for np231, 242, d300, and every other transfer case on the planet, but don't display any parts for this case.

Morris 4x4 is the ONLY place I have found all week that has an exploded diagram of the 241j but it is for the JK np241 gen 1 and another for the gen2.

I thought that the Gen 1 would be the same as the tj rubicon case, but after a call to the dealership to run part numbers they assured me that the parts between jk gen 1 and tj are NOT interchangeable.

When I asked the dealership how much the parts I needed were and if they had them in stock they told me that they had been discontinued. WTF! so not even the dealership seems to be able to provide the parts I need.

I know these cases are available re manufactured, so whoever is rebuilding them must have the parts, WHERE ARE THEY GETTING THEM??

why can I not find these parts anywhere? My first instinct was the hit the junkyard and look for another rubi case that has been trashed but the chances of that happening are next to nothing.

At this point I think I may have to continue to scour the forums and craigslist until I find someone else who says they have a 241 that "needs a rebuild" and combine the two...

does anyone have any suggestions? maybe a case in their garage that was cracked in half on the trail and useless to you? Maybe someone who has actually rebuilt some of these could shed some light on what if any parts are interchangeable between this and other 241 models...

I may make a trip to the stealership to collect part numbers (apparently unavailable anywhere else).

Thanks for the input.

-bryan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-24-2015, 12:51 PM
jkp
2006 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-pa...ts-Catalog.PDF

This should be it.

'92 Islander
'06 Rubicon
post #3 of 24 Old 10-24-2015, 12:52 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hopefully these will help some...
Attached Thumbnails
241 #1.jpg   241 #3.jpg   241 #2.jpg  

When you have a choice, buy American made.

post #4 of 24 Old 10-24-2015, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
bigmac
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks to both of you for your responses. That saves me a trip to the dealership! Now at least I have part numbers to reference when I talk to drive train suppliers.
post #5 of 24 Old 10-24-2015, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
bigmac
2000 TJ Wrangler 

OK so from Jerry's first diagram I am looking for 7, 10, and 14. The ones I have the teeth are starting to strip. Instead of perfect little triangle splines they look like they have a step cut into one side.

I think the shift forks might be one of the few pieces that will interchange between other cases 241d and 231?
post #6 of 24 Old 10-24-2015, 03:19 PM
Dueces

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
OK so from Jerry's first diagram I am looking for 7, 10, and 14. The ones I have the teeth are starting to strip. Instead of perfect little triangle splines they look like they have a step cut into one side.

I think the shift forks might be one of the few pieces that will interchange between other cases 241d and 231?
You will never be able to put it back together without me haha.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 24 Old 10-24-2015, 03:21 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Some of those parts are priced pretty scary-high, I'd be looking for a used 241 transfer case. Take a look at the prices on this one site.... http://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts...train-dhw.html

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #8 of 24 Old 10-24-2015, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
bigmac
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Some of those parts are priced pretty scary-high, I'd be looking for a used 241 transfer case. Take a look at the prices on this one site.... http://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts...train-dhw.html
that is what scared me about buying a case that needed internals... unfortunately when i committed to buying it i was doing some quick searches on what the parts would cost and of course i was getting hits for 241 dld and 241 c cases that have much cheaper parts.

Another reason I was searching for commonalities between cases is because I routinely find chevy and dodge cases for around 100 bucks. If only some of the parts i need would swap over then I could be making out pretty good getting this thing running.

I am still banking on finding someone who cracked a case and is upgrading to an atlas or something.

If you all hear about anyone in that situation please let me know.
post #9 of 24 Old 10-24-2015, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
bigmac
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dueces View Post
You will never be able to put it back together without me haha.
It doesn't help that we were using the *****!est slip ring pliers on the planet...

I got your text but the link wouldn't work and then my phone died... can you PM it to me?
post #10 of 24 Old 10-24-2015, 05:11 PM
Dueces

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

It doesn't help that we were using the *****!est slip ring pliers on the planet...

I got your text but the link wouldn't work and then my phone died... can you PM it to me?
Two wrenches really dont qualify as pliers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 24 Old 10-24-2015, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
bigmac
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So thanks to Deuces I managed to pick up an input gear for the 241j (or what was listed as one anyway) off of eBay for 40 bucks. I am still looking for the main shaft and the "range shift sleeve" parts 10 and 14 from the diagram. Thanks Dueces.
post #12 of 24 Old 10-25-2015, 11:59 AM
Dueces

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have a question for anyone who might know on the forum. How mechanically similar are the 241or and the jk 241. Can you swap parts?

I know the big different between the two is that the jk one does not have a speedo sensor.

Also i believe the non ribicon one is also a 241, just dfferent gear ratios.

I guess what I am getting at is could you buy a jk 241 or the internals like the main shaft and put them in a 241OR.

post #13 of 24 Old 10-25-2015, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
bigmac
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Are these splines too far gone? It is hard to get good pictures but you can see how the splines have started to wear away on one side.
Attached Thumbnails
1445811062247-1965597920_1445811233533.jpg   1445811259818-691497045_1445811290249.jpg   1445811344366-960309279_1445811405694.jpg  
post #14 of 24 Old 10-25-2015, 05:26 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Are these splines too far gone? It is hard to get good pictures but you can see how the splines have started to wear away on one side.
The slop in them is only going to get worse. I wouldn't run them.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #15 of 24 Old 10-31-2015, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
bigmac
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The slop in them is only going to get worse. I wouldn't run them.
That's what I was afraid of. I know I would be driving around paranoid about stripping them completely.

Well I went ahead and ordered some parts. Got a pretty good deal on them I think.
Main shaft-140 normally 280
Range shift sleeve - 125 normally 250 - 300 where available.
Input gear 40 dollars. (Have only found elsewhere for 1200 as the entire planetary assembly)
Trying to get all the parts together before my wife realizes I'm going balls to the walls on this.

Now I am looking for a full rebuild kit (hopefully cheaper than the 225 full kit I found), not sure if I will need a new rear shaft yet. Need to do some measuring. It might come down to whether I use new yokes or a flange adapter. Is there any reason I should go with one over the other?

Instead of getting a new custom shaft I was thinking I would look for a stock shaft out of a junkyard from some other vehicle that happens to use the right joints and it the right length. Problems with that? Should I change the front diff yoke to match the case or the case to match the front diff? Should I use the flange adapter to a 1310 on the rear? Or go with 1330 yoke and change rear end to 1330 as well as look for a ford 1330 driveshaft to fit?

This has become quite the project...

Thanks for the help guys.

Tags
np241or , parts identification , rebuild kit , transfer case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in