In need of a new radiator - JeepForum.com
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 08-14-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
domolivia

In need of a new radiator

Hello!

My Jeep Wrangler is a 2003 TJ 4.0L Rubicon.

I am currently wanting to replace my radiator since I believe that the factory radiator is still the one in my vehicle and I live in Arizona where the heat just ruins everything a little faster. And my Jeep has been running a little hot lately

I was looking at Rock Auto for a new radiator but they have like 20 different options to choose from and I have no idea which one would be best. I'm not wanting to break the bank but willing to spend the money if it's a quality item that will last.

Do y'all have any suggestions for me?

Thank you!
Dominique

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-14-2019, 11:09 AM
BM3

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Another stock mopar one is what I'd recommend, your old OEM lasted 16 years.....
Wojoe and domolivia like this.
post #3 of 19 Old 08-14-2019, 11:17 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

X2, stay with the OE Mopar which has an all aluminum core and cools better than the vast majority of aftermarket radiators. Not to mention most aftermarket radiators are cheaply made and rarely cool even nearly as well.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

post #4 of 19 Old 08-14-2019, 06:05 PM
rcroane
2006 TJ Wrangler 

While you're at it, consider replacing water pump, thermostat/housing, hoses and serpentine belt. Especially if you think any of these are original to your Jeep.
post #5 of 19 Old 08-15-2019, 01:27 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nothing last longer than Mopar. I still have the original in my 99'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5.5" lift / Rancho shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #6 of 19 Old 08-15-2019, 02:43 AM
AjRagno

2005 LJ Wrangler 

If I had to do it again, I would absolutely go with a Mopar radiator.

My original radiator failed a couple of years ago at around 175,000 miles. Without any previous issues, one day I came out to find it had completely drained onto my garage floor. I replaced it with a Spectra radiator from NAPA. About 18 months later, the Spectra radiator started leaking severely at the top seam; the sort of leak that would have required a tow if I were far from home. NAPA replaced it under warranty without issue but I fully expect this radiator to fail similarly at some point so I now keep the receipt in my glove box.
post #7 of 19 Old 08-15-2019, 09:59 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yep Spectre is not a good brand. A Spectre fuel pump I installed failed at 13 months, 1 month out of warranty.
TheBoogieman likes this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #8 of 19 Old 08-15-2019, 04:27 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Yep Spectre is not a good brand. A Spectre fuel pump I installed failed at 13 months, 1 month out of warranty.
Shame on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5.5" lift / Rancho shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #9 of 19 Old 08-15-2019, 05:21 PM
SkylinesSuck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by domolivia View Post
I am currently wanting to replace my radiator since I believe that the factory radiator is still the one in my vehicle and I live in Arizona where the heat just ruins everything a little faster. And my Jeep has been running a little hot lately
I just want to be clear; there is no leak and you want to replace your factory radiator because you think it might still be the factory piece, and you have been running a little hot lately, right? If so, I suggest figure out why it's running hot. I'd start with a coolant flush/change, and take a look what the inside of the core looks like while it's empty.

No need to replace it if it's not leaking and/or plugged up/corroded on the inside. Many of the experienced guys on here swear by the factory stuff.
mukluk and domolivia like this.

'98 Sahara w/AX15 & 4.6L stroker, 2.5" OME lift, 32" BFG M/T's, 8.8 w/Detroit Trutracs & 4.10's F&R
post #10 of 19 Old 08-16-2019, 11:30 AM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Unless you're seeing degradation and cracking of the plastic tanks or other evidence of impending failure, I'd leave the current radiator in place and search as to what is causing your Jeep to run slightly hot. Very rarely do you hear of the stock radiators suddenly experiencing a catastrophic failure without warning signs beforehand, problems are normally indicated by seepage or leaking coolant long before things come apart sufficient to leave one stranded. I'd echo the advice to start with a good coolant flush and fill, making certain to get as much air out of the system before putting the radiator cap back on and adding fluid to the overflow tank.
domolivia likes this.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #11 of 19 Old 08-17-2019, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
domolivia

Valid point, thank you!
post #12 of 19 Old 08-17-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
domolivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylinesSuck View Post
I just want to be clear; there is no leak and you want to replace your factory radiator because you think it might still be the factory piece, and you have been running a little hot lately, right? If so, I suggest figure out why it's running hot. I'd start with a coolant flush/change, and take a look what the inside of the core looks like while it's empty.

No need to replace it if it's not leaking and/or plugged up/corroded on the inside. Many of the experienced guys on here swear by the factory stuff.
I don't want to replace it simply because the piece is old and is from the factory. I want to replace it because it's been giving me trouble. I've replaced the thermostat, the water pump, all the hoses and I have replaced the coolant multiple times and it still runs hot. I had a mechanic look at the whole cooling system including the electrical part of it and he found nothing wrong with the system but yet it still runs hot. My next logical step that I can think of would be to replace the radiator. This Jeep has lived in Arizona its whole life, and I know that radiator has taken a beating from the heat. Unless you have another suggestion because I have done just about everything to try and find the problem.
post #13 of 19 Old 08-17-2019, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
domolivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcroane View Post
While you're at it, consider replacing water pump, thermostat/housing, hoses and serpentine belt. Especially if you think any of these are original to your Jeep.
Already got all of those done! Thank you for the advice though, it's much appreciated!
rcroane likes this.
post #14 of 19 Old 08-17-2019, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
domolivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM3 View Post
Another stock mopar one is what I'd recommend, your old OEM lasted 16 years.....
Very valid point! Thank you!
post #15 of 19 Old 08-17-2019, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
domolivia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
X2, stay with the OE Mopar which has an all aluminum core and cools better than the vast majority of aftermarket radiators. Not to mention most aftermarket radiators are cheaply made and rarely cool even nearly as well.
Thank you, I did not know that about aftermarket radiators. It's such hit or miss with aftermarket parts!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in