Need help (what axles do I have?) - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-09-2019, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Angle_lou

Garage
Need help (what axles do I have?)

Hi im a seventeen year old who was given a Jeep to fix up, I’ve done simple things like new soft top, front headlights, and new fender flares, but I want to do some Off-roading and want to install a rear diff and upgrade shocks but I don’t know what axles my Jeep has.
Thank you to everyone who replies

Attached Thumbnails
AB22B4DB-9006-4731-AA41-7180D3B69591_1570648992535.jpg   3AB39B91-0BF1-49AE-B3CB-683731417834_1570649043437.jpg   003F4F3E-C98C-487A-9102-3B61B564403D_1570649136235.jpg   923ADF35-33B0-4DE3-8591-D09B30FD04A7_1570649165289.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-09-2019, 05:57 PM
Black Hills TJ

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wrong forum...should be in TJ tech.

That being said, Dana 44 rear(IIRC...factory metal plug is 44 and rubber plug is a Dana 35) and Dana 30 front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allenwr
My mouth still has funky taste in it, so I am doin alright.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSuck
damnit i wish i could get bigger quicker
Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
post #3 of 11 Old 10-10-2019, 08:21 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Black Hills TJ is correct, Dana 30 front, Dana 44 rear.

post #4 of 11 Old 10-10-2019, 08:38 AM
Ironhead

2003 TJ Wrangler 

x2, you got a lucky one with the d30 front and d44 rear.

now step 1, remove that lower steering stabilizer, drop pitman arm, and whatever that bracket is for the track bar on the axle side. seems really odd that they used a drop pitman arm and raised track bar. i'd imagine the bumpsteer is rather intense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-10-2019, 10:25 AM
Black Hills TJ

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post

now step 1, remove that lower steering stabilizer, drop pitman arm, and whatever that bracket is for the track bar on the axle side. seems really odd that they used a drop pitman arm and raised track bar. i'd imagine the bumpsteer is rather intense.
This. I'm no steering expert, but that funky contraption would scare the crap out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allenwr
My mouth still has funky taste in it, so I am doin alright.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSuck
damnit i wish i could get bigger quicker
Check out
!
post #6 of 11 Old 10-10-2019, 10:29 AM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yup D30/D44. As IH said, you got lucky!

Remove that abomination of a steering setup you have there. Get rid of at least one steering dampener and I would remove drop pitman arm and put frame diff side trac bar back in the original mounting location.

Your rear shocks have adapters on them to move them away from contacting coil perches. They will reduce your uptravel by a bit. You can just clearance your rear perches IF they interfere. I would measure what your compressed / extended distance is with coils and shocks removed, to determine what shocks to get. Lots of youtube videos on how to out there.

What is that bracket on the outside of the frame by your UCA's?
Attached Thumbnails
shocks.jpg  

2006 LJR...the madness begins again
post #7 of 11 Old 10-10-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Angle_lou

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJnBC View Post
Yup D30/D44. As IH said, you got lucky!

Remove that abomination of a steering setup you have there. Get rid of at least one steering dampener and I would remove drop pitman arm and put frame diff side trac bar back in the original mounting location.

Your rear shocks have adapters on them to move them away from contacting coil perches. They will reduce your uptravel by a bit. You can just clearance your rear perches IF they interfere. I would measure what your compressed / extended distance is with coils and shocks removed, to determine what shocks to get. Lots of youtube videos on how to out there.

What is that bracket on the outside of the frame by your UCA's?
It seems to connect to the axle
Attached Thumbnails
901AE0E6-29DE-4CAC-82AC-9ED55FA1DB5E_1570728216136.jpg  
post #8 of 11 Old 10-10-2019, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Angle_lou

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post

Thanks for the reply I will now put the steering on to do list, is there any particular reason on why the setup is bad or if there is anything I should watch out for?
post #9 of 11 Old 10-10-2019, 11:50 AM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

There is just simply no need to have 2 dampeners. I don't even use one at all.

Do a dry steering test with the help of a buddy, check for wear on all your steering components. Look for ANY play in the track bar, TREs etc..

2006 LJR...the madness begins again
post #10 of 11 Old 10-10-2019, 11:54 AM
Ironhead

2003 TJ Wrangler 

many companies held old beliefs about lifting jeeps and steering from the leaf spring days, which dont work well on a coil sprung vehicle.

in order to maintain proper setup for the inverted Y steering, which our TJ's use, the drag link and track bar must be on the same plane. that is, if you drew a line between the mount points of those two items they would be parallel, which then allows them to travel on the same arc while the suspension moves. when adding a drop pitman arm it lowers the drag link mount point, some get around this by adding a track bar drop bracket but it seems like they went the opposite way with your setup and raised the track bar mount on the axle side. that would put the drag link and track bar even further out of whack, which is likely why they added the second stabilizer, thinking it would help. it appears that they mounted the track bar in the OEM steering damper position and the lower stabilizer is in a lowering bracket that connects to the OEM track bar mount location. luckily the rest of the steering appears OEM. the only thing dual stabilizers do is put more stress on your steering box.

If I were you, I'd get an OEM pitman arm, ditch the lower stabilizer, pick up an adj track bar from currie or MC mounted in the OEM location, and move the upper stabilizer back to its original position.

that should give you a good starting point and the jeep should handle much much better

post #11 of 11 Old 10-10-2019, 03:26 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If you look at the numbers on metal tag at the 9:00 o'clock position of the rear diff cover, you will know what factory gear ratio, probably with the D44, 3.73, unless regearing has been done.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in