Need Help ! (improving ride) - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 07-09-2014, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
iceman0181
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Need Help ! (improving ride)

Just got a 2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ Unlimited that appears to have a 3 inch body lift and a unknown to me Suspension Height lift. Tires are 35 x 12.5 and it looks great but rides terrible. I have no thoughts of ever using it offroad and just want to make it a safe riding vehicle. So, what do I need to do to make the ride better without changing the 35 inch tires. Replace with a new reduced Suspension Kit ? Or, Reduce the Body lift blocks ? Or Both ? It looks like Shocks are old and rusted ? I'd like to do the work myself as a project and product recommendations are welcomed. Thank-you

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 07-09-2014, 08:24 AM
Ironhead

2003 TJ Wrangler 

the more info we have the better. 3" body lifts are not recommended, 1"-1.25" is a much better height. can you tell the brand of shocks?

whats bad about the ride? vibrations, odd steering, or just rough?

whats your tire pressure? if its over 28 psi, that could be your main problem

pics of the suspension/steering are also useful
post #3 of 26 Old 07-09-2014, 08:28 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

That is not a TJ Unlimited in the picture.

Ironhead asked some good questions. What is bad about the ride? Tire pressure? Shocks? Can we get pics of the suspension and underneath?

post #4 of 26 Old 07-09-2014, 10:58 AM
GringoLoco

2000 TJ Wrangler 

+1 with everything said above. If your biggest complaint is ride harshness the two most likely problems are tire pressure and shocks. If you bought it from a dealership they have some sort of lawyer induced fetish where they just have to jack the tire pressure up to 35psi. I'm not sure what people like for 35s in your brand but my 33s are good at about 23 I think.

YELLOW Jeep Club Member #5606
13 mpg - edit: 12 mpg
No hi-lift on the hood (yet)
Odd noises
Still can't get it to take off from a treadmill....
post #5 of 26 Old 07-09-2014, 10:59 AM
GringoLoco

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Oh yeah, and another big +1 on getting rid of that 3" body lift ASAP. I don't know why people insist on running those. From your picture it looks like you have plenty of clearance, replace it with a 1.25" kit.

Odd noises
post #6 of 26 Old 07-09-2014, 11:19 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Only reason to get rid of the body lift is if you do not like how it looks.

This one looks ok from what I see. The steps are tucked up and not hanging 4" below the tub like they usually are with a big body lift.
post #7 of 26 Old 07-09-2014, 11:22 AM
JBTJ

2001 TJ Wrangler 

The ride is all about PSI in the tires, shocks and maybe your coil springs.
post #8 of 26 Old 07-09-2014, 11:44 AM
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

1. If you had no intention of taking off road, WTF did you buy a Wrangler with 35 inch tires (which can open a huge can or worms) and a big lift?

2. "Safe riding vehicle" Big lift and big tires in itself if not done right can be very unsafe.

3. "Terrible ride" Have you driven a Wrangler (lifted) before? Yes "better" suspension components can ride better but if you are expecting a nice car like ride, you are not going to get that.

4. As indicated, you do not have an Unlimited (long wheelbase) and it does not look like there is any body lift (need better pictures)
post #9 of 26 Old 07-09-2014, 12:34 PM
BM3

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I am by no means an expert, but I was surprised at how much the ride in mine improved with just adding metalcloak control arms. But heck that could be just a placebo effect..... Still need to install my zone 3" lift, but waiting for my *** to finish my 8.8 and do it all at once. And the only reason I did the control arms is because the wife kept moaning about all the jeep parts laying around.
post #10 of 26 Old 07-09-2014, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
iceman0181
2004 TJ Wrangler 

OK. Tire psi is at 35, so ill adjust it to 23-28. And to the guy who ask WTF did I buy this for.... Well just simply liked the way it looked... Wont be my last mistake... anyway I got this now and want to make it the best it could be. Never had a jeep, giving it a try after 30 or so vehicles, so help a brother out... Get back after psi adjustment.
post #11 of 26 Old 07-09-2014, 03:43 PM
Awshux
Cynical Bastard

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman0181 View Post
And to the guy who ask WTF did I buy this for.... Well just simply liked the way it looked... Wont be my last mistake...
Don't consider it a mistake! Ignore the folks who want to chastise you for not using your Jeep the way you want to.

Do keep in mind that a Jeep will always be a "rougher" ride than a car. It's a utilitarian vehicle, and comfort is a ways down the list of necessary amenities. Start with the pressure, then address those rusty shocks next.

You live and learn. At any rate, you live.
-Douglas Adams
post #12 of 26 Old 07-09-2014, 03:45 PM
JBTJ

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman0181 View Post
OK. Tire psi is at 35, so ill adjust it to 23-28. And to the guy who ask WTF did I buy this for.... Well just simply liked the way it looked... Wont be my last mistake... anyway I got this now and want to make it the best it could be. Never had a jeep, giving it a try after 30 or so vehicles, so help a brother out... Get back after psi adjustment.
Yeah, 35psi is WAY too much. You should notice a big difference with just around 26psi. Remember, the larger the tire, the less psi required to support a given amout of weight.
post #13 of 26 Old 07-09-2014, 03:46 PM
Ironhead

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awshux View Post
Don't consider it a mistake! Ignore the folks who want to chastise you for not using your Jeep the way you want to.

Do keep in mind that a Jeep will always be a "rougher" ride than a car. It's a utilitarian vehicle, and comfort is a ways down the list of necessary amenities. Start with the pressure, then address those rusty shocks next.
agreed, that guy has some other issues.

see if you can find out what brand shocks they are while you are airing down a bit
post #14 of 26 Old 07-09-2014, 07:16 PM
GringoLoco

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Only reason to get rid of the body lift is if you do not like how it looks.

This one looks ok from what I see. The steps are tucked up and not hanging 4" below the tub like they usually are with a big body lift.
Not arguing, but I was always under the impression that excessive body lifts were of questionable safety? Something about the bolts behaving differently in the wreck. I could easily be mistaken.

After looking more at the picture I'm wondering if it doesn't even have a BL and the OP measured the factory bushings to come up with that conclusion.

Odd noises
post #15 of 26 Old 07-09-2014, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
iceman0181
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Gents, I test rode it adjusting psi in all 4 to 25psi. And it appears to be worse whereas the front end grabs every road inperfection and temporarily leans in that direction and feels spongy. The shocks are rusty and old. Recently I invested and had installed the front sway bars and stearing shafts, shock and that made an improvement to the steering but that was unrelated to the stiff bumpy ride. Im learning here so bear with me.. Im a Mustang and currently a Camaro riding guy and just new to this ride. Is it normal to say that a vehicle with this height, huge tires simply is not going to wiz around town like normal cars, or can I do something to get it there. Such as reduce the body lift and get a matched geometry suspension kit with new shocks, springs, arms, etc.

With all that said --- If I lowered the body lift to a 1.5 inch and kept the existing suspension kit would that bring my driving closer to a much normal ride ? Thanks for all your help...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in